VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fort Gordon Herbicide spraying

Rate this question

retvet9

Question

..between Jan and May 1967. We hand-sprayed in  isolated training areas, pond locations etc.-- pre-testing

the grounds before the overhead  Air sprays which started in July 1967.

As holdovers waiting for orders after or between Radio and Radio-teletype (05C20) School we were subjected to these

dangerous toxins. Metastized Prostate Cancer, Neuropahy, varuious skin cancers including melanoma.

My case is headed toward Appeal now and I could use some Buddy corroberation of the spraying.

Thanks,

Retvet9

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

As you know the first AO Fort Gordon veterans , James Cripps, is a member here at hadit.

He has done blog radio shows with us and  his BVA award , available here under a search contains the many ways he managed to prove ,by virtue of his MOS, that he had been directly exposed to AO at Ft. Gordon.

This link contains his BVA decision

http://community.hadit.com/topic/55306-james-cripps-is-the-first-conus-ao-vet-to-get-service-connected-after-a-very-long-battle-with-the-podcast-guest-on-wed-april-9-1000am-edt/

If it doesn't work, the Blog Radio archives here will have it. Just click on the show and your PC media player will bring up the sound.

The reporter who did this series might have more updated info if you try to contact him.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/Special_Assignment_Agent_Orange_at_Fort_Gordon_Part_3_134410493.html

Lots at his site and also mention of James Cripps.

As to "buddys"---sometimes a buddy is just clicks away on google or Facebook but another good way is to google your unit's web site.Sometimes they have ureunion rosters and "Lookin for" areas.

You do need to prove the "hand spraying." 

I saw at YUKU VBN, that you tried there many years ago and probably no buddys found that way.

I assume there is nothing in your 201 personnel file to show you sprayed the AO? Dont give up. 

Here is another CONUS award:

Nothing is Impossible.

Edited by Berta

Thank you very much for your response. I do recall the James Cripps case and also tried to contact the t.v. reporter but there was no response. I will try again. Your information is appreciated. I did hear from two Vets: one who arrived  shortly after I left (before overhead spraying but early July 1967); he saw the sprayed dead areas, moved the barrels and went to some of the test sites as part of his Post duty while waiting for orders. He put his case to the VA but we lost contact. A second Vet was there when I was and his wife requested a buddy letter from me-- which I sent. Then- silence. (I know he was very ill with Parkinsons.)

My VA Doc keeps pressing me to try again. Am seeing my VSO again this week to get his opinion. My records do not show the spraying duties; a lot of this took place while awaiting my orders-- which were changed from Nam to Germany.

Again, Thanks,

Retvet9

Edited by retvet9