VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Used PRIVATE E.R.now two big bills?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

btw

I am feeling better  after having a bad case of the flu (3 almost 4 weeks of it) glad it didn't turn into  pneumonia!!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Tell them you can't pay.   You are a totally disabled vet and you are broke.  You may be able to get free legal representation to fight the case.  I was able to get Free Legal in Florida even though I have assets beyond poverty.  I could not believe it myself.  If I had known earlier there are tons of people I would have sued even myself.    Somehow I qualified because I was getting ready to due a contractor for work done on my house.   Because I am disabled and retired the powers were going to take mercy on me.  I love to sue people especially when I don't have to pay legal fees.   Even states like Texas and Florida have groups that will sue on your behalf because you are disabled and a senior citizen.  You tax dollars finally at work for you. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Ain't that truth John999

hell I would'nt mind  paying a couple hundred,but almost 2000.00 bucks is flat ridiculous 

I will go to the VAMC Bussiness office and see what they say!

Thanks Everyone!!!

Buck, go on your MHV Account Secure MSG, send a MSG to the Patient Advocate regarding your problem. May as well get as many VMC Employees involved as possible.

When you checked in at the non-VMC ER, did you or your wife inform the Intake Staff that you were a Vet and that your VMC needed to be contacted for transport after you were stabilized?

I haven't personally used a non-VMC ER but my understanding is that your VMC Emergency MFIC Dr has to be contacted at or soon after admission to the the non-VMC ER to get authorization for ER Treatment and to determine if post-ER Stabilization transport to your VMC is required.

From your original post, it appears that no-one (ER Admissions Staff, you or your wife) contacted your VMC ER Dept after you arrived at the non-VA Hospital. I think you're going to have a real problem getting the VA to cover the ER & Dr's bill.

As I understand it, you didn't take the ER Dr's RX to your VMC, to get it filled, right? Please don't tell me that you're one of those Vets over 65, that opted out of Medicare A & B, big mistake in my opinion. Although you could look at it from the standpoint, you picked up an additional $1200 per yr for the past 3 or 4 years.

This ER Bill, if the VA doesn't pay hurts, just think if it had been 60 or $100K. In MI, I pay United Health Care (AARP's Plan), about $340 per mos for no Deductible or Copay coverage. My VMC is great but for Life or Death ER or Surgical procedure, I want the "Pros from Dover," which are only available at top-ranked private hospitals.

Might want to check which local Ambulance services offer transport to your VMC. Get a rate from Uber, I've used them, their fast and the service is great.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Gastone

I am not on medicare as of yet...I am signing up for it on April this year  3 months before I turn 65..I am seeing a Medicare private counsler to gett he best medicare plan for me  being a disabled Vet...this guy is free of charge and only accepts donations for his time and work.

My spouse did call the VAMC before she took me to the Non VA E.R. although they never gave me an authorization for payment but they had my wife to take me to the Private Non VA E.R. under the situation explained as explained to this VA tri care employee, I'll explain all this below.

3 days later I ask my son to take me to VMC He took off work to take me to  sick call at my VA PCP Clinic  seen the PCP Nurse Care manager...for flu...got some med's and a inhaler.

After I started filling better & Had recieved these Ridiculous Bills in the Mail from the Non VA  E.R.

I went to the VAMC Billing office and let them know about this  the lady was very nice and understanding  and she said since my wife called the VA before we went to the private health care E.R.   and talked to a tricare VA Employee About the situation and they had me go ahead and go to the private E.R  I was in the system now..I even mention about  I was not given  VA Authorization for payment? she said that don't matter now since my wife had called the VA before I went to the private E.R.

She gave me a form with information on it  as how to proceed  and a form to download off the internet and a # to call for further instructions, the form is for ( NUBC)National Billing Uniform Billing Committee CMS 1500 or UB-04

Its rather a long drawn out process  but I'm going to do this. Or my wife will beings I can't hear on the phone.

I am not sure they will pay these Bills or Not? but the VA  Billing office lady seemed to think they would take care of it.

Thanks to Everyone who responded I appreciate all you guys.

Edited by Buck52

Buck,

I think you did what you were supposed to do with your wife calling ahead of time and telling you to go to the non-VA ER.  It will probably get paid eventually.  I would not pay as you will wait even longer.

The sad part is the ER can make a legal claim against you before any of this gets fixed and even when it does get paid, your case will appear on the court records forever.  Even when the debt is satisfied, etc.

When I was on active duty, and as a remote Soldier, I had Tricare Prime which paid 100% for everything.  My daughter had surgury and the hospital sent me a bill for $8000.00.  After a year of telling thier finance office that I did not have to pay anything, they finally took me to court.  At court, the judge asked the hospital guy what the deal was and he told the judge I owed the hospital $8000.00.  Then the judge asked me what the deal was and I told him I was on active duty and had Tricare Prime and that meant everything was paid for by the military 100%.  The judge asked the holspital guy if that was correct, and he said yes, and the judge said case dismissed.

However, it still shows up on the state run website for court cases, which anyone can access.  Like when you apply for a job, etc.  And in the online case it does not say what happened, but that the debt was satisfied.   After a year, kind of makes me look like a deadbeat. 

FWIW,

Hamslice