VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC-2?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Was awarded an on-the-spot CUE and Perm IU back in January, during a formal review. Total percentage was 80%, with the largest single condition rated at 40%, a lower spine condition rated at 20%, with other smaller ratings. Also, if it means anything

The issue of me needing help with such things as getting dressed, showering, help getting out of bed was raised by my rep; I also provided a sworn affidavit signed by my fiancé that she helps me with these issues.

Reviewing officer didn't say one way or the other about awarding me SMC.

Do I meet the requirements for ANY kind of SMC?

Also, I have gotten responses to this question that have nothing to do with meeting the requirements, I was just given a link to the SMC pay tables, which mean don't answer my question.

• HadIt.com Elder

allansc2005

I think there has been some controversy over this issue

Some say when a Veteran is Awarded for IU P&T they are required to infer the SMC S H.B.(at that time) Because your unable to leave your home for Work.

if they fail to do that then  they need to CUE them self.

I never was infered the SMC S H.B. when I was awarded IU P& T and I could not leave my home for work...but I could leave my home for other things  such as pharmacy,groverystore  ect,,ect,,

Maybe they made a CUE back then and I never caught it  its to late now for me to get that straighten out to much time and never appealed it.

Anyway

about 15 years later I did get SMC S H.B. with filing  another Separate  S.C. 70% Disability!

I was at 90% IU getting paid at the 100% rate and with this separate rating of 60% or higher to quailfy me for the SMC  what I had  they had to use the mandatory SMC Rating table to qualify me for the SMC-S H.B.

Little late in coming  but  its better than not getting  the SMC Rating at all.

So if you was awarded IU with P&T  And never was inferred the SMC..Appeal the decision and request the SMC S 

Remember they only use your highest rating When adding the SMC  In your case you show to be at 80%  which is ok as long as that rating is 60% or higher for the IU Which you got that , but they will not use the other lower ratings to address the SMC..It has to be a separate SC Rating at 60% or higher  to meet the qualifications for SMC.

BUT YOU MAY WANT TO ASK YOUR REP ABOUT ALL THIS FIRST?

Edited by Buck52

UPDATE:

Buck, et al...

My rep just called me to give me the 411 on my SMC, how ironic huh?

The VA did in fact award me SMC-S back to the time that my CUE is effective, which is December, 1st, 1990!

My rep teasingly told me to "Hire a Brinks truck...":lol: because it's an additional $342 a month.

Funny though, considering I won my CUE and IU back on January 12th, 2017, I still haven't seen a pay change, nor any "wads" going into my bank account.

I can only assume a few more signatures are required given the circumstances?

Your rep told you wrong.  It is "NOT" 342 per month since 1990.  It will decrease each year the amount of the Cola.  It will be "much" less than 342 per month times the number of months since 1990.  You wont need a Brinks Truck.  It may average about 200 or 250 per month, with the most recent years 342, and it decreasing all the way back to your CUE.  

• HadIt.com Elder
4 hours ago, allansc2005 said:

Buck, is it the combined rating that could qualify you for SMC, or a single rating over a certain percentage?

No the combined amount is not used for SMC, only when a veteran is 100%  plus another separate S.C. Disability rated at 60% or higher.

But if you was rated for the IU With P&T then they do need to infrer the SMC ...because of your IU with  P&T Ratings...its mandatory I believe that they give you the SMC...you can't leave home for work  so in the eyes of the VA your considered Home Bound..  SMC -S

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

broncovet

Since he was NOT paid for the SMC  and they went back to Dec 1990 , he should get  all the monthly SMC Payments for that year and including any increases from then to now.

If they inferred the SMC Since he got the IU with P&T  He went from being 80% to 100% with the IU....So if they go back to the 1990 date  then all they need to do is make any Adjustments to what he has been paid so for and  he should get the full amount of the SMC dating back to Dec 1990 or when he first filed.

Not sure what SMC S each year was paid  from Dec 1990 to present  but looks like to me that would be a pretty big hunk of pocket change ( Ching Chang Ching Chang) All the way to the Bank.

jmo