VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I may have delayed my own claims

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So my intial claim i somehow forgot to claim my two hip fractures but I claimed my Deep Vein Thrombosis caused from being confined to a bed for a couple months because of my hip fracture but the VA denied my claim for DVT causing me to appeal it. 2016 I paging through my medical record and see why exactly I was confined to a bed well the reason why I never put anything together is because I was in a coma for those two months my hip was broken and then a short time after that until I was made weight bearing. Basically the 1 cause of DVT is being confined to a bed and I was just serviced connected for the broken hip. With my appeal still not even certified should I opt out of a hearing and have my attorney write another statement with my evidence I have in my corner now I fee like a hearing would be a waste of time ? There's already a hardship flagged on it and says ready for a decision I just am awaiting a video trial. But if my attorney writes and sites my  evidence any judge would be ok this should be connected a judge has already service connected everything else seems trivial unless they come back later down the road causing me pain other then my infrequent legs given out when I'm walking.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

No way I could answer the question, even if I understood it, but I got rather confused.

You were in coma during the service? You said you didn't claim the fracture, but sounds like you're service connected for it?

Sorry I was serviced connected for the TBI in 2010. My hip fracture I just recently claimed was granted service connected 2017. I for some reason filed my DVT with my TBI and was denied it. I did some research and found that I was bed ridden for 2 months because of my broken Hip which caused my DVT. I have an open appeal for the DVT my ? Is now service connected for the hip should I open a new claim up claim my DVT secondary to my broken hip? Or ask my attorney to submit this into my appeal and have my request for a hearing removed?

File as secondary to the hip fracture- Technically, it's not a reopen/recon.

Secondaries are slam/dunk for exams, even better get your own physician to fill out the appropriate DBQ and ask them to rate it right off.

9 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

File as secondary to the hip fracture- Technically, it's not a reopen/recon.

Secondaries are slam/dunk for exams, even better get your own physician to fill out the appropriate DBQ and ask them to rate it right off.

Well even so if I refile for a secondary will I keep the appeal to show my effectivety date.

I have movement in both my claim and appeal so I guess I'm happy all the worrying about delays not that it's much but I had my Appeal now send out a Supplemental Statement of the case I haven't really done much research on the name just a STatement of the case but im still waiting for my hip to be service connected so I can say  if my DVT wasn't caused by my prolong coma from my TBI my hip fracture keep me in the bed for another month until made weight bearing. So what is my next step with my appeal? The person on the phone said I had to read it she couldn't tell me I said ok and that my claim is in the Prep for  a decision both are flagged for hardship so the dates don't matter they said.