VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm Over This *&^%$#

Rate this question

cowboys4life

Question

So I received my final decision from the BVA which granted me TDIU which states that my effective date is June 2016 which I strongly disagree no surprise there huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!. My question to the elders on this beloved sight is what should I do. I mean the judge I guess tried to pay me back to my original claim date in 2002 but the evidence did not support staged ratings or extra scheduler rating. She used in my favor a statement  dated in June 2004 made by a VA doctor stating that my coronary artery disease solely kept me from working and maintaining gainful employment. That she said outweighed the recent opinion from the C&P examiner made in June 2016. Now my total rating recently jumped to 90% which I guess made it easy for her to give me the TDIU. I am confused about the regulation covering early effective dates and how is it established if a doctor gives an opinion that many years ago and they do not reference it until it is convenient to disallow a big retro. Should I just be thankful for what I got and just get over this. Anxious to hear from the community 

DOC. 15 001.jpg

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Cowboy$Life - remember the criteria for TDIU - that may help to understand the issue. I too received TDIU last December - I was only back dated to the date I received my 70% rating. so my back pay was only from  2014. 

So, as long as the VA kept low balling me after having two separate heart surgeries, to wit: They were able to say with a straight face that my condition did not warrant a higher rating until 2016 which were based solely on medical tests and not my own assertions that that is how it is. I've lost a lot of years staying above ground only to see buried by the bull@#$. I won't ever understand it and will never accept the fact that they won. Hell they never mentioned the opinion of the cardiologist until this decision. VERY CONVENIENT!!!!

Effective dates for TDIU typically can go back as early as the original "claim" for IU...schedular or extraschedular.  

A claim for IU can be a) any request for increased rating where unemployability due to the condition is mentioned , or b) the submission of 21-8940.

The VA often uses the 8940 date, and wrongly does not consider earlier dates.  Not saying that happened here, but it's worth looking into.   

I am a little curious how the Board used the 2016 opinion to out-weigh a contemporaneous 2004 exam in your favor.  Not saying it's wrong, but I'm also not saying its right.