VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Different thoughts and suggestions about rating

Rate this question

Steppenwolf

Question

I've spoken with several different VSO's who have a different take about my disability.

The one who told me to " leave well enough alone " has a familiar ring in other area's of my life but does it apply here.

Similar recommendations warn about opening up things for a new look.

One VSO asked what I am looking to gain? Maybe that is the question I need to ask here. If I'm considered unemployable is there any benefit in opening up a case and going through that rat race that I did for far more years than I even know.

Thanks

9 hours ago, killemall said:

I say leave well enough alone..

I get 70% from the VA...1650 a month

And ssdi...2283 a month

So Im sitting right around 3900 a month.

Ofcourse I can try for tdiu or 100% Va and get

100% in my case equals 3500 a month because of my wife and kids,  plus the 2283 from ssdi

Roughly 5800 per month....

But my 70% rating could also go down instead of up.

If you are sitting around 3k a month just as you are...

Leave well enough alone.

That's what I've been told by others and think that it's good advice. It's just too bad we can't get what our disability equates to.

I don't understand SSDI. The friends I had that got it called it " crazy money ". Don't know what that means either I just never applied and perhaps it's too late for me.

11 hours ago, broncovet said:

You can do what you like, but I plan on asking for each VA benefit I feel I deserve.  Its a myth that if you apply for an increase, VA will reduce you instead.  The regulations are clear:  The VA has specific criteria for a reduction in rating, and this does not include the phrase, "Whenever a Veteran seeks an increased rating, reduce him instead".  

To be reduced, if you have been rated more than 5 years, you not only have to show "actual improvement" but it needs to be under "ordinary conditions of life", that is, while working.  The regulation explains that some conditions wax and wane in severity, and some even get better with relaxation.  For example if you had a knee issue, and you are forced to quit work and it feels better when you are not on it all day long, then this is not a bases for reduction as it would likely flare up the minute you return to ordinary conditions of life, that is, go back to work.  

The "fear of reduction" tactic is one VA employees and VSO's use to keep Veterans from applying.  

Of course, there are millions of Veterans applying for benefits or benefit increases every year, and some of these will be reduced.  

Its also true that, if you were one of those "over rated", that is, you got a particularly overgenerous rater on your decision, that someone could go back and say..."gee this Vet should be reduced. "

Remember, tho, VA is looking to reduce Vets who are over rated, and it may just be in your benefit to have your claim sitting at the Board of Veterans Appeals and not at your RO for that reason.  You see, BVA does not reduce in the first instance, so, with "paper" files, your actually LESS likely to be reduced during the long wait at BVA, simply because the people who do reductions wont have access to your file.  Now, this is not quite so accurate with electronic files, and many/most Vets are on electronic records.  

But..think about it.  You are in charge of reductions.  Are you gonna go to the pile of claims of Vets that are at the BVA?  Probably not.  Why?  Well, its gonna make some important people mad if you reduce a Vet while he is waiting a BVA decision, to include the BVA.  If my claim is waiting for the BOARD judge, its gonna mess it all up if some rater does a proposed reduction.    It would be like taking your claims file, and pouring honey, molasses, and peanut butter all over it, gluing the pages together, as none of it would make any sense if there was a proposed or reduction since BVA got your claim docketed.  

In summary, don't let the "fear of reductions" paralyze you into "not applying" for additional benefits or increases.  

Believe it or not, my old VSO actually used that tactic when I got my first zero percent rating.  "Dont appeal...you could lose your zero percent and you would be worse off"

Just accept your zero percent and try to get an increase down the road.  I get upset with myself for listening to VSO's try to get me to use my money to light cigars with like that.  

How many of them do not apply for promotions because "they could get a worse job instead"?  

That "stinky thinky" is precisely the type of people you should avoid.  When you climb every mountain, yes there is a valley where you could fall back to again, but dont stop climbing because you are afraid of the valley on the other side.  When you climb that mountain, keep your eye on the taller mountain on the other side.  

Take a page out of some great disabled Vets who have overcome disabilities and succeeded anyway, such as Max Clelland, John McCAin, and Tammy Duckworth, all of which are  disabled Vets who moved into politics.   

I completely and totally agree with every word........as much as I am scared as hell because I have a claim in right now and I am IU 100% PT, I know A. I have not improved B. all of my ratings are 5 years old or older and C. I have all the documentation in my records to back up those ratings.  I try not to let my emotions get the best of me.  There are reasons to file for IU PT, or for other sc issues but only you can decide what is right for you.  Me, I am not going to worry that my secondary issues kill me and my family doesn't get DIC, etc.  I am filing.  I am also going to file for aid and attendance because my husband has to care for me, more than he should have to when I am in my 40's.