• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

143%
    $2,153.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Bipolar / Depression C&P Exam Thoughts + Timeline

Question

Ok guys and gals, im back after a few months with more information.

So for a little background, my effective date is 12/12/16. It moved to prep for decision in 2 weeks and stayed there for a few months. 

then it went back to gathering evidence, at which time i recieved a phone call scheduling me for an exam on march 25.

10 minutes later they called back saying i could come in for an exam tomorrow (which was march 1st).

I  attended my c&p exam for bipolar/depression- and the examiner concluded the exam by telling me to go directly to MH because im not mentally healthy or stable.

I have the results from ROI, i scanned them, and posted them online below.

I am currently 80% disabled, none of which are MH related :-( (illness consumed my life beginning midway through my 4 years on AD)

I know im crazy in the head, and this report only makes me feel worse about myself. please dont judge me, im receiving treatment as we speak.

part1: 

part1

part2: 

part2

part3: 

part3

part4: 

part4

part5: 

part5

part6: 

part6

part7: 

part7

part8: 

part8

Edited by chomperjones
  • Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

This is a favorable C & P exam. You have the inservice nexus and have symptoms consistent with the diagnosis and have had appropriate on -going treatment.... "this report only makes me feel w

I Second the chance of getting 100% if they lowball you it may still bump you to 90. Anything less and file a NOD and fight the good fight!!

• HadIt.com Elder

This is a favorable C & P exam. You have the inservice nexus and have symptoms consistent with the diagnosis and have had appropriate on -going treatment....

"this report only makes me feel worse about myself "

Please don't feel that way ChomperJones- you will be compensated for your sacrifice...

I wish that a friend of mine with Bi polar had gotten a C & P like this one years ago.As it was, it took him 10 years to succeed in SC Bipolar at 100% P & T.

The Navy thought he was nuts and threw him in the brig.He wasn't nuts at all but the Navy in those days didnt have a clue on what bi polar is like.

This should trigger an award for you. I don't know how they will rate it along with the 80%.

Dont be so hard on yourself...we dont always see claims that have a good inservice nexus. What bothers me is the EED, Dec 16, 2016.

Did you ever apply for SC bipolar before and then get denied?

Since this C & P exam will SC it, there might be a away to get a better EED, with a CUE or maybe 3.156 B claim...if they denied the same disability in the past ......hard to say yet..the award will tell you more.

Do you get SSDI and if so is it solely for the bipolar?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Berta said:

This is a favorable C & P exam. You have the inservice nexus and have symptoms consistent with the diagnosis and have had appropriate on -going treatment....

Did you ever apply for SC bipolar before and then get denied?

Since this C & P exam will SC it, there might be a away to get a better EED, with a CUE or maybe 3.156 B claim...if they denied the same disability in the past ......hard to say yet..the award will tell you more.

Do you get SSDI and if so is it solely for the bipolar?

Thank you for the uplifiting words. the hard part of dealing with this is the knowledge of how i was prior to joining the service. And knowing the struggle of everyday life that i encounter presently.

so to answer your questions.

I did file for depression (not specifically bipolar, if that makes any difference) back in 2011 i think. But i missed the appt so it was denied (I was going through a severe depressive state). So as far as i know, Dec 12, 2016 is the only EED I can shoot for?? 

Also, i do not receive SSDI, I recently looked into it - it seems that i would have a better chance at that after getting service connected for bipolar. Again, i dont know so improbably wrong and wasting more time :-(

Thanks again for your help.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a VA exam for Bipolar disorder in the 1990's.  I got 30% because I was able to hold a job.   Within five years I was on a permanent limited duty job with the USPS due to my mental health issues.

This was the beginning of the end for my working life.  Within a few more years I had been fired and had applied for every disability program I could find.  I was 51 years old and completely washed up

due to constant harassment by my employer.  I got the VA to bump me up to 70% and then TDIU and P&T.   This was all under most intense stress.  You exam was a good one.   If you get 100% try and get

P&T as your first order of business and get SSDI.  I did that and I have money to support me and my wife now.  This was 16 years ago and I still use the VA just to document my various illnesses that

are SC.  I advise you to do the same.  I eventually got DX'ed for PTSD, schizophrenia and MDD and anxiety disorder.  Stick around long enough and they will throw everything at you to see what sticks.

I think you have a good chance of getting to 100% with this exam and your other disabilities. I think there is a good chance you might be rated as high as 70% for mental health. Don't wait on P&T. Type a letter up short and sweet telling them you are applying for permanent and total. My c&p was similar to yours and I got 70% for bipolar disorder.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By glenda h
      Back in 2019 this statement was made to another individual.  I am puzzled.   I am currently 70%.  I became 50% back in 2016, 70% in 2019.   I had health insurance and kept it after I retired, plus MEDICARE, TFL (mil retiree).  I didnt pay any co pays due to having three insurances at the time, but VA billed my MEDICARE and civilian insurance, which paid the Dr visit and  my prescriptions by civilian ins.  TFL always came up with some excuse not to pay anything for years.  But the payments dont go to the VA Dr I see, but someone else I've never seen at the RO billing office.  I suspended my civilian health insurance this past January, therefore I will only have MEDICARE and TFL.  So are you saying that they shouldnt be billing the companies.  I do understand about the medications.
    • By SPO
      I'm looking at a copy of my last c&p exams for arthritis.  I was denied for no diagnosis, which is an issue I am appealing because I have more than one.  However, the examiner checked the block "Pain noted on exam but does not result in / cause functional loss" for many of my joints with varying Ranges of motions( such as flexion or exetension).  Would this qualify as the objective evidence of pain for the painful motion rule?
    • By paoret82655
      I applied for 100% unemployability on my own after my VSO did nothing to help with the process back in February 2021. I received my decision this month stating that I was denied and was also reduced from 70% to 50% for PTSD and depression. They removed anxiety and alcohol use. When I was asked questions during my C&P they kept asking me what happened within the last year, not what happened since the date of injury, which was 2013. I'm not sure how to approach this issue any further. I want to appeal but I want my entire case looked at because I feel that I've been unjustly reviewed. What should I do for 100% UI?
    • By Yoshi1992
      Hi Everyone,
        On January 7, VA contractor, VES, did my C&P exam .  After nearly pulling teeth trying to get a copy of the exam from the VA, I finally got it a few days ago.  Although the doctor found that I have the condition and found that it was caused by military service, she was way off with her box checks for my symptoms--missing or ignoring several of my symptoms.  Also, her assessment of my symptoms conflicted with my privately provided DBQ.  It's frustrating because I answered the questions the same way with both doctors.
        Can I challenge/dispute the VES contractor's C&P findings?  If so, where can I find the rules for how to do this?  And how much time do I have?
        Thank you in advance for your advice on this.
    • By MilvetHD
      Hello, 
      Does anyone know how the VA rates keratoconus currently? The diagnostic code is 6035. I am new to all this and have been unsuccessful in finding the specifics using the VASDR. I have been diagnosed with bilateral keratoeonus and would like to better inform myself on how it is rated. I am awaiting a decision back from the VA but my case and evidence is overwhelming. To date, I have found only one article dating back to 2008 that appeared to show the  minimum rating use to be 30% but I am unable to gauge the accuracy. Any assistance is helpful. 
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 53 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines