VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TAXES

I understand that you don't have to pay real estate,county,school tax if you are 100%PT veteran.Question I have is ,each state has a certain amount of money that you have to be under that sum to receive the tax credit.(example PA. is $88,800.00 for 2017,my question is say you apply and your under that amount for a few years and than one or two years you go over that amount.How much do to you have to pay back and how do they figure that amount you own back.I know every year the total amount goes up but curious about if you go over that amount what happens then.

"I understand that you don't have to pay real estate,county,school tax if you are 100%PT veteran."

I dont know if that is the case in every locale.We have veterans tax exemptions on real estate where I live and widows like me get the exemptions as well .I live in a small rural town, so cities might be different.

Best to check with your RE tax office.

Seniors in my locale also get a tax credit on school taxes. I am not aware of any income deductions for that.

• HadIt.com Elder

All  100% P&T Veterans that get the property tax exemption need to check at there local county tax office for this type of information...I checked with my County Tax office  and they said as for as they knew it was for the life of the Veteran and can be turned over to the wife if the Veteran dies.

The Veteran Tax Exemption is for Life  As I understand it!  As for as my county is concerned.

Unless an Executive Order comes from the President to change it.

In Florida I have to send back a card the county sends me every year saying I still qualify for the exemption, in Florida there is no income cap or home value cap but you have to be 100% PT to qualify or IU PT also qualifies for a total exemption of your property taxes, we only pay for trash or something and it is $200 a year.  I would contact your local property tax folks to find out how it works where you live. 

Edited by seminoles

Fla also gives a 5k discount on property tax to all disable vets.

"Eligible resident ex-servicemembers with a VA certified service-connected disability of 10 percent or greater shall be entitled to a $5,000 property tax exemption. The ex-servicemember must establish this exemption with the county tax official in the county in which he or she resides by providing documentation of this disability."