• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
Dipper

100% IU Surgery Torn Meniscus

Question

Recently, I was told by my private physician that I need to have surgery to repair a torn meniscus in my left knee (service connected knee). The surgery will take place next month. Is there anything that I should be during regarding the VA?

1 answer to this question

If you apply for, and get Temporary 100 percent  (for surgery and recovery) , then that should get you smc s while you are recuperating for six months or so.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Navy89
      I have a rating for 10% for:. right knee patellofemoral syndrome, claimed as gout and iliotibial band syndrome
      Is it common for VA to group conditions, can these be separated?
      Thanks for the assist...

• By George M. Jr.
      I served in the US Army from 1978 to 1982. In 1979 I hurt my knee while on active duty during physical training. It has never been the same since. I have seen my private Orthopedic Surgeon many times and his last diagnosis is a Total Knee Replacement. 
      I was able to get a copy of my service medical records and it’s documented in there that I suffered the injury while on active duty and I saw medical personnel for treatment.  I have not submitted a VA claim for this yet. 
      Has anyone successfully submitted a VA claim for this type of injury and were you successful in getting it approved? 
      I am interested in getting help with my deductible for the surgery, which even with 90% coverage private insurance, I’ll have to come up with $2,500 for my share and the deductible. I am making $13 per hour and live paycheck to paycheck and don’t see myself able to save that amount or am able to get any more loans or credit to do so. 
      Thanks in advance 
      George M. Jr. 
    • By Rhodesia
      I have a question hope you can help, I'm going to have to have a Left Knee Revision arthroplasty Replacement this is service connected I had the full knee replacement back in December 2016 then I sustained an injury to the same knee resulting in Revision arthroplasty Replacement I just found out today. So question number one is, Will the VA put me back on Temp 100% since they are going to have to replace the left knee again? And how do you word the statement just right in order for the VA to start process this before I go into surgery? 2nd question is that the Doctor seen in the Xrays and MRI's that my right knee has a severe Medial Compartment Osteoarthritis to include severe medial compartment joint space narrowing and severe lateral joint space narrowing and severe anterior joint space narrowing on the Right Knee, The doctor said this is due to me favoring the right knee because of the injury to the left knee. So if this is true how does one write a statement to ask for a secondary claim or maybe a service connected claim due to the injury's to the left knee? 
      I still have an open claim for some other issues so my original claim has not been closed as of yet so far e-benefits shows me having 10% for hearing, 10% for High Blood Pressure, 0% for that special (K) award and 20% for the left knee for scars and pain, and 30% for the Total Knee Replacement, but for some reason I'm still getting my original 40% the 30% has not been added in yet unless they are waiting for the claim to close out which they keep extending. My claim started 7/16/2015 and it was pushed up to 01/18/2019 have no ideal why? but anyway before I submit for a temp award again what's the best wording or statement to use without it getting rejected, and also for my right knee as well? I have all documentation to send in but I wanted to see if anyone has a good ideal on how to write out the wording in support of my claim and another Temp award to 100% again.
      Thank You
    • By gab2112
      An advice anyone can give would be appreciated. I go in for my first C&P exam for my knee issues. I submitted a FDC with my military medical records showing foot issues, shin splints, and issues with bunions. They wanted to operate on the one bunion but I would have had to reenlist. I also submitted my personal medical records that include  my recent MRI reports that show various knee issues. (arthritis, patellar maltracking, meniscus tears...) I received a call to set up my C&P exam about a week after submitted my FDC online. 
      I have been looking online, and found out that if I submit any new paperwork my claim will no longer be a FDC. I wanted to submit the medical report they do when you first enlist that shows everything they document you have wrong with you, and on you. (tattoos, scars, appearance). On this form it shows that I didn't have any bunions when I went in. Then while I was in they got bad enough to see the podiatrist while I was in. I am afraid that connection with my knees will not be there, and cause a denial. 
      Do I bring this medical record with me to the C&P exam in case the doctor ask anything, or even bother  showing  it to him?  Do I wait for the possible denial, and then submit this when I appeal? Should I go ahead and submit this form online, and risk my claim to no longer be a FDC?  After submitting my claim, and doing more research online I learned that I shouldn't assume that the reviewers will be able to recognize any secondary conditions. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. 
    • By WomanMarine
      Sorry for the 'wall of text' ... 

First off I would like to thank everyone for their service. Whether you served in one of the honorable branches or are just a contributor to this wonderful forum I have been lurking on, commitment to Veterans is valued. I am a female, Vietnam era, USMC vet. There are not many of us, as during those days they trained the women as the men, resulting in a high attrition rate. I believe it was due to this intense training that I am, in my old age, starting to feel the burn. 

I was never as proud as the day that my Eagle, Globe and Anchor were pinned on me. It was a lot of work to become a Marine and, sadly, it took its toll. During Boot I started having problems with my R knee giving way. I had this happen to me in high school from running track, but never did my knee cap totally dislocate nor tear my meniscus, as it did that night in the Leather Neck Lanes @ MCRDSD. I was seen the next day in Ortho and subsequently diagnosed with a Sublexing Patella (7244 EPTE) and awarded 10% disability.

This was 1975. Within six months after I was discharged, I got a good job with the railroad. The job only lasted a few months, as my knee went out on me while at work. I was seen at the V.A. in Los Angeles. They put a full leg cast on me, which I was to wear for six months. I applied for my disability then, but was denied. I do not recall the exact reason I was denied, but I do recall that there was an issue with my DD214. I had gone in initially as a Reserve, but later went Active. My last period of service was on my final DD214 but not my first. This required a correction and a  DD215 was issued. Finally the DoD did get my paperwork corrected. 

After a few months in the cast my boyfriend  removed it, as it was causing me back pain. We were both totally amazed to see my leg that had been hidden for over four months, as it was practically non-existent! It had atrophied beyond belief and took quite a bit of work to regain the muscle. However my knee did not act up for some time. The V.A. had stated they rated me at 0% and gave me a card that stated that I was service-connected. In 1980 my knee decided to go out on me again. And again I applied to the V.A. for my service-connected disability. Again I was turned down. And this time they wanted my V.A. service-connected card, stating I was not V.A. rated.

In 1993 I got involved in a new 'fad' called the Internet. I started building small networks. It was a great job, sitting behind a computer, watching my business flourish. In 2000 'dial-up' came to an end, with the prolific growth in wireless comms. My job changed from sitting behind a computer to climbing towers and high rises to install wireless systems.   In 2006 my darn 'Marine Corps' knee returned. It was not the sublexion I had experienced in years past, but more of a 'giving way' that caused me to fall down some stairs and injur my shoulder. By this time I had given up on the V.A. ever recognizing my 'service-connected' injury, so I just started wearing a soft knee brace. In 2012 I was climbing a tower and was 80' in the air when my knee decided to 'give way' ... That was a harrowing experience. If not for my safety harness I would have been 'splat' on the deck. I decided because of this I could not climb anymore. And because of this it cost me more to run my business. In 2014 I sold my business, as I was no longer capable of the physical aspect. I took a loss and now live on a small SS Survivors pension. 

The last two winters have been hell for me, as my knee has now developed arthritis and is causing me sever problems with my back. In 2009 I was diagnosed by the V.A. with DDD of the Lumbar. I am sure that my knee has contributed to this. Also I am now developing arthritis in my left knee. Last summer I tried to be seen for my back in V.A. emergency care, as I had a sever sciatica attack. I waited over four hours and finally checked back in with the ER only to learn that there was only one DR to see the backlog of patients. I left the V.A., once again disgusted.  

I decided last year if Trump was elected that I would re-apply to the V.A., as he made promises to clean-up the V.A. system. I reapplied the day of his Inauguration. I had my C&P last month. The C&P exam I found in MyHealthyVet and stated that my R knee was recognized by the examiner as:
      'Recurrent subluxation R, Date of diagnosis: Right 1970.
      Knee joint osteoarthritis, both knees, Date of diagnosis: Right 2017.

Comments:

1. Very mild lateral subluxation of the patella.2. Degenerative change involving the patellofemoral joint.3. Very mild degenerative change involving the knee joint.4. Very small knee joint effusion.5. Small popliteal cyst.6. Degenerative change involving the lateral meniscus.7. Degenerative change involving the medial meniscus and a tear involving theposterior horn of the medial meniscus cannot be excluded.Initial ROM R: Flexion: 5 to 110* Extension: 110 to 5*ROM L: Flexion: 0 to 115* Extension: 115 to 0*

No ankylosis shown in either knee. The examiner noted that my recurrent subluxation and lateral insability of my R knee are both Severe with recurrent effusion. The examiner also noted: Crepitus bilaterally with right more pronounced than left. Atalgic gait with increased weight bearing to the left extremity. Also noted was a recent X-Ray that showed degenerative changes and was noted as Mild degenerative arthritis. The examiner scheduled an MRI and X-Ray of my L knee. The MRI indicated a small effusion.  The X-Ray indicated Mild degenerative skeletal change.  Under 'Functional Impact' it was stated that I "must be afforded opportunity to walk on smooth even surfaces. Must avoid repetitive walking inclines/declines, stairs and the use of ladders. Unable to tolerate prolonged standing or walking. Unable to participate in moderate to high impact aerobics. Unable to tolarate kneeeling or squatting. Also noted in the C&P: Veteran had CT Scan 2012 Lumbar spine indicating L4-L5 vacuum phenoma, DJD with recurrent cronic back pain/right radiculopathy s/s. She is requesting consideration for a MRI of lumbar spine. Veteran has positive history of MST but "does not want to deal with it at this time".

After I read the report and saw that my status had changed from "Gather Evidence" to pending decision with a due date of 9/28/17, I became 'hopeful' that the V.A. was actually finally going to grant my service-connected disability. However yesterday that changed and hence the 'wall of text' I am dumping on your doorstep, in need of help. From my understanding they have sent in a request for 'clarification' from my examiner. As well they have not located my records from 1976 that shows when I initially applied and the course of action. They are now stating that my completion date is 1/18/18. I am well aware that the V.A. is like the military, hurry up just to wait. 

Is this normal that they would bump the date back this far?
      AND is there any indication that the V.A. is going to finally do right by this ole vet?  

If you made it this far, thanks! 
      Semper Fi!
      WM
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 16 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
    • I was denied SC for IBS and GERD IN 2011. In 2019 I was awarded SC for GERD. This CUE  is for 2011, both GERD and IBS. There are some odd aspects regarding the 2011 decision, the way it was written and the C&P report and the way it was written. I've tried to present this as clearly as I can. Note: the decision contradicts itself. the decision also contradicts the C&P Report. Honestly, I think the rater just got confused because the C&P was so poorly written. *THIS CUE HAS NOT YET BEEN SUBMITTED*Please let me know what you think. Appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks.

VA RATING DECISION MARCH 23 2011 GERD IBS.pdf C P REPORT 7312010 GERD IBS.pdf GERD IBS CUE 2011(1).pdf

C P ADDENDUM REQUEST RE DIAGNOSIS 7232010.pdf
      • 56 replies
    • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims
      When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a Veterans Affairs Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about when it comes to filing Veterans Affairs Disability Claims. [Reprinted here with permission from Veterans Law Blog]
      • 0 replies
    • Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemptions by State
      Alabama 
      A disabled veteran in Alabama may receive a full property tax exemption on his/her primary residence if the veteran is 100 percent disabled as a result of service and has a net annual income of $12,000 or less.
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines