• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

270%
    $4,058.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

100% IU Surgery Torn Meniscus

Question

Recently, I was told by my private physician that I need to have surgery to repair a torn meniscus in my left knee (service connected knee). The surgery will take place next month. Is there anything that I should be during regarding the VA?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

If you apply for, and get Temporary 100 percent  (for surgery and recovery) , then that should get you smc s while you are recuperating for six months or so.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By waccamawwild
      I have a question that perplexes me. I am 100% Permanent and Total for a total of 13 disabilities. I had a total knee replacement after many years of dealing with my arthritic 10% rated knee. i had the TKR in January 2020. I didn't tell regional office anything because I believe in let sleeping dogs lie quietly. However I do know that the VA hospital where I had surgery let the regional office know I had surgery for a service connected knee. I understand that the minimum rating after being reevaluated is 30%. Will they automatically contact me at the 13 month mark for a C&P exam? If so, are they limited to look at the knee only?  Will they service connect for the TKR related scar? Just curious! I was already 100% so nothing changed after the surgery although if rated different I could have 100% total temporary perhaps given. I do not want to screw what I already have so any advice what or how this works will help me.
    • By Navy89
      I have a rating for 10% for:. right knee patellofemoral syndrome, claimed as gout and iliotibial band syndrome
      Is it common for VA to group conditions, can these be separated?
      Thanks for the assist...

• By George M. Jr.
      I served in the US Army from 1978 to 1982. In 1979 I hurt my knee while on active duty during physical training. It has never been the same since. I have seen my private Orthopedic Surgeon many times and his last diagnosis is a Total Knee Replacement. 
      I was able to get a copy of my service medical records and it’s documented in there that I suffered the injury while on active duty and I saw medical personnel for treatment.  I have not submitted a VA claim for this yet. 
      Has anyone successfully submitted a VA claim for this type of injury and were you successful in getting it approved? 
      I am interested in getting help with my deductible for the surgery, which even with 90% coverage private insurance, I’ll have to come up with $2,500 for my share and the deductible. I am making $13 per hour and live paycheck to paycheck and don’t see myself able to save that amount or am able to get any more loans or credit to do so. 
      Thanks in advance 
      George M. Jr. 
    • By Rhodesia
      I have a question hope you can help, I'm going to have to have a Left Knee Revision arthroplasty Replacement this is service connected I had the full knee replacement back in December 2016 then I sustained an injury to the same knee resulting in Revision arthroplasty Replacement I just found out today. So question number one is, Will the VA put me back on Temp 100% since they are going to have to replace the left knee again? And how do you word the statement just right in order for the VA to start process this before I go into surgery? 2nd question is that the Doctor seen in the Xrays and MRI's that my right knee has a severe Medial Compartment Osteoarthritis to include severe medial compartment joint space narrowing and severe lateral joint space narrowing and severe anterior joint space narrowing on the Right Knee, The doctor said this is due to me favoring the right knee because of the injury to the left knee. So if this is true how does one write a statement to ask for a secondary claim or maybe a service connected claim due to the injury's to the left knee? 
      I still have an open claim for some other issues so my original claim has not been closed as of yet so far e-benefits shows me having 10% for hearing, 10% for High Blood Pressure, 0% for that special (K) award and 20% for the left knee for scars and pain, and 30% for the Total Knee Replacement, but for some reason I'm still getting my original 40% the 30% has not been added in yet unless they are waiting for the claim to close out which they keep extending. My claim started 7/16/2015 and it was pushed up to 01/18/2019 have no ideal why? but anyway before I submit for a temp award again what's the best wording or statement to use without it getting rejected, and also for my right knee as well? I have all documentation to send in but I wanted to see if anyone has a good ideal on how to write out the wording in support of my claim and another Temp award to 100% again.
      Thank You
    • By gab2112
      An advice anyone can give would be appreciated. I go in for my first C&P exam for my knee issues. I submitted a FDC with my military medical records showing foot issues, shin splints, and issues with bunions. They wanted to operate on the one bunion but I would have had to reenlist. I also submitted my personal medical records that include  my recent MRI reports that show various knee issues. (arthritis, patellar maltracking, meniscus tears...) I received a call to set up my C&P exam about a week after submitted my FDC online. 
      I have been looking online, and found out that if I submit any new paperwork my claim will no longer be a FDC. I wanted to submit the medical report they do when you first enlist that shows everything they document you have wrong with you, and on you. (tattoos, scars, appearance). On this form it shows that I didn't have any bunions when I went in. Then while I was in they got bad enough to see the podiatrist while I was in. I am afraid that connection with my knees will not be there, and cause a denial. 
      Do I bring this medical record with me to the C&P exam in case the doctor ask anything, or even bother  showing  it to him?  Do I wait for the possible denial, and then submit this when I appeal? Should I go ahead and submit this form online, and risk my claim to no longer be a FDC?  After submitting my claim, and doing more research online I learned that I shouldn't assume that the reviewers will be able to recognize any secondary conditions. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. 
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 16 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 53 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines