VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Request Advice about 100% Total Unemployment and 100% Total Permanent Disabled

Rate this question

wilspeak

Question

Hello, I have a question. I am 90% VA rated Disabled. I am finding it very hard to get to 100% T and P.  I have heard there are vets who are both 100% Total Unemployment and 100% Total Permanent Disabled.  Can I apply for 100% Total Unemployment and still be able to submit claims and be granted 100% Total Permanent Disabled?  If a veteran is 100% Total Unemployment is it very hard to be granted 100% Total Permanent Disabled? Thank You in advance. 

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Hello Gastone, Thank You for the advice. With My 90% SC award letter I am not sure if I received an  "Inferred IU Claim" SC, How can I tell if I got a "Inferred IU Claim" ?  Yes my individual Earned Income has been under the VA SGI (Substantially Gainful Income) amount of $12,400 for the past 12 months. I just resigned from my PT job in Jan.2017 for health reasons. I am classifed SC PTSD for Combat depression and anger management.

Edited by wilspeak

On 3/20/2017 at 4:02 PM, Vync said:

Going from 90% to 100% is pretty tough, but possible. You should be able to continue submitting new/secondary/increase claims until you are officially 100%. If you think about it, a lot of military-related disabilities do not improve short of having surgery.

Even when you reach 100%, it is possible to continue filing, especially in the case of SMC.

100% scheduler
This is when your combined rating finally totals up to 100%. You can work if you want/able. May also get additional state benefits.

100% P&T
Same as 100% scheduler, but the P&T doesn't really mean Permanent and Total. It's more like a nickname they use when your condition is not expected to improve, or you have held a 100% rating for a long time, , or your deemed in pretty bad shape. You get an ID card, but also CHAMPVA and Ch. 35 education benefits for dependents. You may also get additional benefits from your state.

100% IU
This is when you typically have a rating less than 100%. Your service-connected disabilities prevent you from being able to work. If approved, you get bumped up to 100%. You have to submit an income form annually to remain eligible. If you qualify for this, then you should consider also filing SSDI if you are not already approved for that. I think you get an ID card and possibly state benefits, but no CHAMPVA or Ch. 35 educational benefits for dependents.

100% TDIU
Same benefits as 100% P&T plus 100% IU. I think you might have to submit an income form annually, but only for a while. Would have to look it up.

Confused because I was only 90 %. But the RO granted me 100% P an T after being 90% for 7 years and conditions not improving.How did this happen?

Edited by jfrei

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
19 minutes ago, jfrei said:

Confused because I was only 90 %. But the RO granted me 100% P an T after being 90% for 7 years and conditions not improving.How did this happen?

It might be worth checking the award letter. I have a feeling they may have granted you TDIU, which is almost the same as P&T in most regards.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I just responded to this on your other topic.

It looks very similar to the letter I got. I guess you might have been 90% IU for a while and then in Nov 2016 became 100% P&T, which is the next step up. Being rated unemployable is also a factor. It might qualify you for VR&E and/or ILP.