VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How long from approval to the "white envelope"?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Back on January 12th, 2017, while at a RO formal review, I was approved for T&P IU and a CUE. The approval was made during the review.

Here it is 3/24/2017, and NOTHING, no bank deposit, no white envelope, no Ebenefits annotation...

The American Legion rep told me the day of the review that it would be "three weeks or so", before I heard anything.

Called the rep back in February, and asked him to take a walk "down the hallway" to see if my claim was ready, and he responded "That won't make things go any faster...your claim entails quite a large amount of back pay, so it will naturally take longer.....", then hung up the phone!

I notified his supervisor about the incident, and still waiting for a response.

How many "stops" does my case have between the RO, final approval and notification?

Of course, nobody at the RO seems to be able to answer this question, is there a seasoned scrupulous veteran here who can answer it?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

Edited by allansc2005
Spelling

What kind of RO Formal Review did you attend, DRO Hearing? You continued to say Review, wasn't it an actual DRO Hearing?

If a DRO Made a Decision on the IU, were there any additional issues to be determined?

Back in 06/14, my VSO Rep had a copy of my DRO Hearing Award the same afternoon as the Hearing. There were some staged rating issues that the DRO said he needed to look into but he had completed everything by 3pm.

My Retro hit within 3 weeks but the award letter took 3 mos to arrive.

Your VSO-Rep has computer access to your RO E-File and can pull up and print the IU Award Letter completed by the DRO, if he's completed it yet.

Semper Fi

It was a Formal DRO hearing. Sorry to split terms.

Considering my American Legion rep at the RO is a jackass(he doesn't return my calls), can I physically go to the RO and get a copy of the decision?

Will the local(where I live) American Legion rep have access to the decision?

The CUE issue was settled right then. The decision in my favor added an additional 20% to my claim, and took it back to 1990. So no issues there.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

Edited by allansc2005

I recently sat down with a VFW VSR at my VMC. Just getting some generic info for another Vet I work with.

During the course of the conversation, not the 1st we've had, I told her that I forgot to get a copy of my VSR's (Marine Corp Lge) request for my 05/16 Cue Review. Keep in mind, the VFW is not my VSO.

After we discussed my Vet's issue, she asked me to wait a moment. Hit a few keys on the old computer, left the room and returned with copies of my VSR Cue Review Filing. All the VSOs have a couple-year-old policy about servicing Vets regardless of which VSO they're signed with.

That saved me a phone call or trip to the VSO HQ at the RO. Give it a try if the documents in your file, they should be able to provide you with a copy.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Until you see it in black and white I would not trust a word your DRO or VSO says.  I thought I had won a CUE via the DRO until the DRO was overruled by his boss.  You need the formal decision letter to be sure you are not being jacked around here.  Do you have a letter from the VA saying you are approved for TDIU with effective date?  If you won a CUE do you have the same letter source?  In a DRO Hearing the DRO can say anything but until you get official notice I would not be sure.  Sometimes CUE claims can upset the VA's apple cart.   They would not approve my CUE because it would have allowed about ten million vets to get EED's on their claims.  I know that RO claims don't set precedents, but someone would know that a vet got something.

john999, I don't have that "white envelope" yet, and many are telling me that because I won the CUE and the IU back in January this year, and because of the amount of back pay involved, it's still too soon to expect anything this early, but those are opinions, and we all know how those work.

Also, it's my understanding that once that decision is made by the hearing officer(I had a formal taped hearing), then that's it as far as approval is concerned, there is no other "boss" who can overrule it. The hearing officer verbally told me and my American Legion rep that both my IU and CUE were approved, on the spot, and I had to sign a VA form stating I would not pursue the case any further.

Also know that my CUE was a percentage issue, and unique to my case. The IU was allowed because Voc Rehab, on a VA Form, stated there was nothing they could do for me because of my conditions.

Over X dollars, reward needs 3 signatures, never went that high so dont know how long they take.

Check 2 things, Ebenefits and call Peggy (800-827-1000). One or the other should tell you what your claim is doing. It should be in appeal status or closed.  At the least, peggy should get your BBE resent if the case is decided.  If you cannot get the info, go to the regional office if you can.  They should be able to provide you with the final decision letter, without that letter they wont pay a dime.