VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Hope for My Elderly Aunt?

Rate this question

Bigkevo44

Question

I have an 82 year old aunt, whose husband died mysteriously after a battle with cancer and a seven year hiccup. He died from prostate cancer. The thing was, he was a veteran of the Korean War (Conflict) and was honorably discharged. However, that he died about 30 years ago. She asked if I could help her to file a claim with the VA for any benefits that she may have been entitled to as the surviving spouse of a war veteran. She is convinced that his cancer may have come from his tour in the service, especially since he died relatively young. I would appreciate any feedback on this issue regarding the direction to go in, if there is one.

Thanks,

6 answers to this question

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/locations/korea.asp

“Veterans who served in a unit in or near the Korean demilitarized zone (DMZ) anytime between April 1, 1968 and August 31, 1971 and who have a disease VA recognizes as associated with Agent Orange exposure are presumed to have been exposed to herbicides. These Veterans do not have to show they were exposed to Agent Orange to be eligible for disability compensation for these diseases.

VA and the Department of Defense must determine the Veteran’s unit operated in the DMZ area and the Veteran was physically there.”

Korean War veterans or their survivors, who served near  the DMZ within the date criteria above have continued to prove their AO claims.

Here is a recent AO award due to Prostate Cancer.

The veteran did an excellent job of proving his exposure as there was some question as to his unit in relation to the exposed DOD units.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/files1/1607362.txt

I have posted the units involved, available under a search here and if you search the BVA for Korea DMZ Agent Orange you will see how these claims are handled.

Was he service connected for anything in his lifetime?

• HadIt.com Elder

No its never to late, she will need medical records for evidence and death certificate, but mostly what she will need is medical proof  of his death  if the prostate cancer killed her hubby  then she can file a claim useing the nehmer A.O. Presumption  they should service connected by his military service and medical records  dates and places  ect,,ect,,. Ms Berta is the expert on this she can help out here tremendously  

No

but if there is no AO DMZ link I dont know what basis the claim could be filed on...but nothing is impossible.

Did he serve in Thailand or Vietnam or on any ship in the 7th fleet during the Vietnam war,and if so, when and where and what is the ship's name.

He does have a AO presumptive that caused his death so the AO would be the main focus and his SMRs and 201 personnel file might reveal much of the info  you need as to whether or not he was exposed to Agent Orange,.

Thank you for helping your Aunt.

• HadIt.com Elder

You might check to see if her hubby was in the A.O Register

probably not if he died 30 years ago.  but any exposure to the Defoliant  while in military abroad or here in the USA.

Participating in an Agent Orange Registry health exam helps you, other Veterans and VA.

VA’s Agent Orange Registry health exam alerts Veterans to possible long-term health problems that may be related to Agent Orange exposure during their military service. The registry data helps VA understand and respond to these health problems more effectively.

The exam is free to eligible Veterans and enrollment in VA health care is not necessary. Although the findings of your exam may be used to inform your subsequent care, they may not be used when applying for compensation as a separate exam is required. Contact your local VA Environmental Health Coordinator about getting an Agent Orange Registry health exam.