• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

140%
    $2,108.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Any Hope for My Elderly Aunt?

Question

I have an 82 year old aunt, whose husband died mysteriously after a battle with cancer and a seven year hiccup. He died from prostate cancer. The thing was, he was a veteran of the Korean War (Conflict) and was honorably discharged. However, that he died about 30 years ago. She asked if I could help her to file a claim with the VA for any benefits that she may have been entitled to as the surviving spouse of a war veteran. She is convinced that his cancer may have come from his tour in the service, especially since he died relatively young. I would appreciate any feedback on this issue regarding the direction to go in, if there is one.

Thanks,

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/locations/korea.asp “Veterans who served in a unit in or near the Korean demilitarized zone (DMZ) anytime between April 1, 1968 and August 31

No its never to late, she will need medical records for evidence and death certificate, but mostly what she will need is medical proof  of his death  if the prostate cancer killed her hubby  then she

No but if there is no AO DMZ link I dont know what basis the claim could be filed on...but nothing is impossible. Did he serve in Thailand or Vietnam or on any ship in the 7th fleet during t

• HadIt.com Elder

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/locations/korea.asp

“Veterans who served in a unit in or near the Korean demilitarized zone (DMZ) anytime between April 1, 1968 and August 31, 1971 and who have a disease VA recognizes as associated with Agent Orange exposure are presumed to have been exposed to herbicides. These Veterans do not have to show they were exposed to Agent Orange to be eligible for disability compensation for these diseases.

VA and the Department of Defense must determine the Veteran’s unit operated in the DMZ area and the Veteran was physically there.”

Korean War veterans or their survivors, who served near  the DMZ within the date criteria above have continued to prove their AO claims.

Here is a recent AO award due to Prostate Cancer.

The veteran did an excellent job of proving his exposure as there was some question as to his unit in relation to the exposed DOD units.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/files1/1607362.txt

I have posted the units involved, available under a search here and if you search the BVA for Korea DMZ Agent Orange you will see how these claims are handled.

Was he service connected for anything in his lifetime?

• Like 1

No its never to late, she will need medical records for evidence and death certificate, but mostly what she will need is medical proof  of his death  if the prostate cancer killed her hubby  then she can file a claim useing the nehmer A.O. Presumption  they should service connected by his military service and medical records  dates and places  ect,,ect,,. Ms Berta is the expert on this she can help out here tremendously  

• Like 1
  • HadIt.com Elder

No

but if there is no AO DMZ link I dont know what basis the claim could be filed on...but nothing is impossible.

Did he serve in Thailand or Vietnam or on any ship in the 7th fleet during the Vietnam war,and if so, when and where and what is the ship's name.

He does have a AO presumptive that caused his death so the AO would be the main focus and his SMRs and 201 personnel file might reveal much of the info  you need as to whether or not he was exposed to Agent Orange,.

Thank you for helping your Aunt.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By cathyjourdan
      I've had such great help from so many of you.  My husband finally got his 100% P&T for his heart.  However, he didn't get it for long because he passed away.  Cause of death Congestive heart failure  So from what I have read, I should get DIC.  I have the app completed, but do not as yet, have his death certificate so when I get it I will apply.  I'm just wondering how long it takes to get approved (or denied) once you applty?

Thanks so much.
    • By USMC_VET
      I was recently given 100% P&T and started filling out the Chapter 35 benefits for my wife as she has wished to continue her education, however i noticed that it says "If you are over the age of 18 once you receive either the DEA or FRY SCHOLARSHIP benefits, you will no longer receive payments of Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) or Pension and you may no longer be claimed as a dependent in a Compensation claim. If you are under the age of 18, on your 18th birthday you will lose eligibility for DIC or Pension payments and you will no longer be claimed as a dependent in a Compensation claim. CAREFULLY READ THE INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS ON PAGE 6, ITEM 22 BEFORE COMPLETING THE ELECTION BOX BELOW. YOU ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO DISCUSS YOUR ELECTION WITH A VA COUNSELOR." 
      I am not familiar with this, so does this mean IF she was a surving spouse she wouldnt get DIC payments while she was on Chapter 35 or does this mean if she uses Chapter 35 now she wont get DIC payments if i passed in 10,15,30 years and made her eligible for the 50% of my Disability payment as a surviving spouse?
    • By TiffanyP
      My husband and I are getting life insurance figured out and things we should have a while ago in case something ever happens to him. We are trying to figure out if I would get DIC if he passed away and how much. He medically retired at 100 percent permanent and total in 2012. We have been married for 11 years and have four school aged kids. Would I get DIC? How long does it take to file the claim and receive it after death? We do have veterans mortgage life insurance in place now. Would I automatically qualify for DIC or is that up to the VA? Thank you!
    • By elin
      Hello all, 
      I am a widow and I am trying to file a DIC claim, but I need help.
      My husband died March 21, 2020 from liver failure (primary) and chronic cirrhosis (secondary). There was not an autopsy.  He was an OIF veteran, and was rated 100% due to PTSD and major depression on August 12, 2013.  His rating was made permanent and total in December 1, 2019, so I know I don't qualify based on the 10 year requirement. 
      However, I believe his death from alcohol is directly related to his PTSD and major depression. I had conversations with him while he was still alive where he admitted as much.  He was seeing a counselor to help with his depression, I have some notes from her, where she notated that he was drinking less that week.  I called her to see if she could provide a statement to help, but she had to call her malpractice insurance company first, and I have not heard back. 
      I have initiated the claims process with the VA, and am currently working on form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim.  I have family and friends who can make statements supporting my claim that he drank to self-medicate for his PTSD. 
      Any tips or advice you can give me to help fill this form out without screwing myself over would be appreciated!
      Thanks, 
      Erin  

• By vetquest
      I was helping a widow of an ALS victim get benefits from the VA.  She decided to use a VSO also.  When she filed a FDC the VA denied her as for some stupid reason the death certificate stated they were separated at the time of his death.  I requested that she cite CFR 3.214 in that she was his spouse but they filed a Supplemental claim with a revised death certificate and two buddy letters.  The claim finished last week and she received back pay for about a year and begins receiving benefits this month.  
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 53 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines