VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does IU automatically qualify you for SMC?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Brother was just awarded IU, and has other conditions not associated with the IU that add up to 70%, using hadit.com scale.

Will the P&T IU itself meet the requirement for 100% needed to qualify for SMC?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

• HadIt.com Elder

allansc2005

Are you using the combined rating extra scheduler to qualify  for the IU? OR ARE YOU 100% IU?

If your IU Extra Scheduler they can qualify you if your combined rating is at 90%  and have another separate  S.C. Disability at 60% or higher.

I was 90% combined rating (94.4) IU W/P&T using the extra scheduler  and got 10% for tinnitus  that put me  at 100/%   then I HAD another totally separate rating for PTSD AT 70%  This qualified me for SMC-S House Bound   it was a mandatory rating   and yours should be too.

If they didn't infer the SMC-S FOR YOU  then if I was you I'd Disagree with the decision.

90% COMBINED RATING WITH IU OR 100% RATING   AND WHEN A VETERAN HAS ANOTHER S.C. ''SEPARATE'' RATING  60% OR HIGHER   THEN THAT IS A MANDATORY RATING. USUALLY FOR SMC-S H.B.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is a run down to quailfy for SMC  ...it is outdated   2011 & the $$ is a little more now

but it will give you an Idea.  just click on the link and scroll down past  smc-k   to smc -s

http://www.purpleheart.org/ServiceProgram/Training2012/10-M- SMC final.pdf

Buck, it's not me, it's my brother.

He was 70% combined before he got IU, and he got an additional 30% for a knee.

He doesn't have his packet yet so I can't break it down.

But my question is, does 100% NON scheduler IU qualify as ONE disability needed for SMC?

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes it does ''if'' he has another ''separate'' S.C. Rating of 60% or higher.

100% plus another separate disability 60% or higher qualify s  him for the SMC-S  H.B.

allan I don't think they combined the separate S.C. Disability's  it has to be one  separate disability 60% or higher  As I understand it.

but I'm not 100% sure. ?  sorry

Gastone  or broncovet or Ms berta will know for sure.....I am not sure they ADD the other separate disability's?

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know how to explain it as to what I mention.  TRY THIS

Veteran is 100% S.C. for original S.C. Disability .&This  goes for IU COMBINED RATING AT 90%

Then he files a claim for another ''Separate  S.C. Disability and that S.C. Disability is rated 60% or Higher  then that qualify s the veteran for the Mandatory SMC-S H.B.  and should be inferred. 

Edited by Buck52