VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does IU automatically qualify you for SMC?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Brother was just awarded IU, and has other conditions not associated with the IU that add up to 70%, using hadit.com scale.

Will the P&T IU itself meet the requirement for 100% needed to qualify for SMC?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

Berta to the rescue! Bronco, the words "disability" OR "disabilities" makes it clear, it doesn't have to be ONE separate  and independent rating of 60% or more, it can be dual separate and independent disabilities.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

Started this reply about 9 am, posting problems seem to be occurring periodically here on Hadit.

Best to wait for the Award Letter, too many unknowns right now. Do you know what SC's were claimed by your brother on his IU Claim? Some Vets have been successful in getting the Statutory SMC S(1) after being Awarded IU for a MH condition such as PTSD @ 70%. They must have (1) or more additional SCs, not included in the IU Award, that have a separate Combined SC Rating of 60%. The IU Rating does not need to be T & P No Future Exams.

IU, in and of itself is never actually Permanent until the Vet has carried the rating for 20 Years.  From the IU Award Date forward (for 20 yrs), any number of things can derail the Award, Earned Income above the SGI is just ONE.

Semper Fi

SMC S(1) Award, the rater should pick it up. If his IU Award is based on multiple SC's, that may be a problem.

As to your 60% question, only those SC conditions (however many) that are not part of the IU Award could be considered towards reaching the additional 60% criteria.

When your brother filed for IU, what SC conditions did he list on his IU claim as being the cause of his IU? 

Semper Fi     

Gastone, like myself, my brother doesn't have his "official" packet yet. His IU claims were numerous, from Gulf War Syndrome to rheumatoid arthritis, to basil cell carcinoma. His IU does have future exams by the way, mine doesn't.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

Allen, his VSR should be able to view & print a copy of his IU Award? Has his E-Ben page been updated yet?

From your recent post, are you saying he listed all of his current SC's on the IU Claim, as the cause of his current IU?

Did he decide to do that on his own, or was it based on someone else's council?

Semper Fi

Gastone, against my better judgment, a LOUSY company called Rep For Vets filed the claim for him.

The copy that the VSR would get for him would not have the breakdown in it, it would just tell him what he was awarded, and the evidence used to make that decision. The "official" award, AKA the big "white envelope" will have the breakdown, and he doesn't have that yet.

As I've mentioned a few times, the Ebenefits page is RARELY up to date, his included.

At this point, he doesn't have his original award letter.

The days of having a VSR  "walk down the hallway" to get an original/early copy of the award is over; my VSR told me that getting the preliminary copy of the award is "useless, and serves no purpose" because it's not "official"

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

• HadIt.com Elder

I am pretty sure it has to be a separate 60% S.C. Rating or Higher to meet the SMC Criteria.

100% and then another separate rating 60% meets the criteria for SMC-S

I don't think they add the other smaller ratings of 10% 20% 30 % it has to be a disability that is server but needs to be rated 60% or more & distinct by its self. (as brocovet mention)

If seminoles   was IU at 90%combined rating & not under the 90%  combined & Received another ''Separate S.C. Rating at 60% & was not infrred  the SMC -S

I would have CUE Them on that. 

If your IU with anything under a 90% combined rating  then that don't meet the SMC  Criteria special rating table chart for the SMC  even AFTER getting a S.C. Separate Rating at 60%

I think being IU at a Combined 90%  S.C. Rating = a 100% rating.

they do it this way so they don't have to pay the SMC.

If a veterans S.C. Disability is severe enough to keep him/her from working  but the disability is  of a combined rating of 60/% 70% 80% & Inferred  for IU  then that non 10%  to get to 90%  knocks out the SMC Rating Criteria .  

In other words  a Veteran needs to be at least 90% combined rating with IU and then another Separate & distinct S.C. disability 60%

OR have a full S.C. 100% rating  and another separate 60% S.C. Rating to meet the SMC Criteria