VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MST Compensation Claim Question

Rate this question

Michigander

Question

Hi,

I am a victim of MST.  I have a police report in graphic detail of the assault while I was serving active duty in the Army.  The events (more than one) occurred 30 years ago, however, the images replay in my mind daily and to this day.  I somehow managed to get through life and was married once and have three children.  I have suffered internally (mentally) for years and have had a multitude of health problems including panic attacks and anxiety.  I want to file for compensation, but also to get the mental help I know need through the VA I understand it there for me...if I can finally get myself to be able to talk about it with a counselor.  I worked full time my entire life (now age 51) but was approved for SSD disability (civilian) for other medical conditions 3 years ago.  When reading some of the blogs proving my MST is not a problem as I have the police report, however, how or what do they need to prove my suffering of panic attacks and PTSD to access if my life has been affected by the MST for compensation purposes.  I have hid the MST events my entire life and even though I have taken anxiety medication on and off and even have seen a few counselors over the years I rarely talked about the MST and focused my sessions on other issues I think mostly so I didn't have to relive the events by talking about them.  So again I am wondering if the proof is there for the MST what proof is needed that it had impaired my life in such a way that compensation would be awarded.  I am not trying to find out how I can manipulate the system, but rather so that I can get an idea before putting myself through all the trauma of going through the application process if there is clearly no way I will even be awarded a disability rating if for example I do not have a trail of doctor's or psychiatry sessions stating I was talking about these events etc. to proved it has affected my life negatively.   

Thank you @L and @Andyman73 for the follow-up and I am hoping that we all find healing somehow through this process.  I am realize I am lucky to have the police report now in my hands although having it now physically is an ever present haunt.  I actually did not have a copy, but had to locate the police dept. and request a copy.  It made me sick just writing the request and the thought of getting the report in my hands was overwhelming.  Although the PD said they doubted they would be able to locate it since it happened in the 80's they did in fact find it and sent me the 15 page report.  I have only been able to glance at it and capture fragments of the report as it elicits a visceral an overwhelming psychological response and I could quickly see my mind had as least consciously blocked many more (horrific) details.   

I have made the first steps and submitted a "intent to file" and am setting up therapy with a VA MST therapist. 

On 5/4/2017 at 1:25 PM, Gastone said:

M, L & A73, were your attackers ever prosecuted?

I've never been in your situation but if there was some way to make that SOB's life as miserable as he's made yours, I'd be thinking about it big time.

Look how long it took Bill Cosby's VICTIMS to come forward. Just think how many undisclosed Victims your assailant might have.

Income will definitely change over the years, but a sexual predator will always be a predator until they're stopped.

Semper Fi

Gastone,

I have no clue. As for the male predator, he literally pulled chocks and disappeared under cover of darkness, once the law began sniffing around due to claims of him messing with teens/kids.

And the drunk female sailor...no of course not. Man....I could not speak up about any of this. To speak up as a male Marine was to sign my own death warrant. After he threatened to kill me, and falsely out me as gay....I knew I wouldn't survive either way.  I chose life over death...even though I tried to take it myself 7 times. IF the VA victimizes me again.....I will be gone...my mind and spirit will be shattered beyond repair.....

3 hours ago, Michigander said:

Thank you @L and @Andyman73 for the follow-up and I am hoping that we all find healing somehow through this process.  I am realize I am lucky to have the police report now in my hands although having it now physically is an ever present haunt.  I actually did not have a copy, but had to locate the police dept. and request a copy.  It made me sick just writing the request and the thought of getting the report in my hands was overwhelming.  Although the PD said they doubted they would be able to locate it since it happened in the 80's they did in fact find it and sent me the 15 page report.  I have only been able to glance at it and capture fragments of the report as it elicits a visceral an overwhelming psychological response and I could quickly see my mind had as least consciously blocked many more (horrific) details.   

I have made the first steps and submitted a "intent to file" and am setting up therapy with a VA MST therapist. 

I am so proud of you for ordering a copy of that police report! A long time friend from H.S. was drugged and sodomized by his roommate...in a twisted and evil way he made out...the damage was quite extensive. He spent months in the hospital after many surgeries to repair the damage and save his life. He is P&T 100% due to ptsd and the physical damage. He was found unconscious and bleeding to death, no need to pretend to be gay/straight, and no systemic victimization. And the blood tox came back with the drugs his roomie had used on him.

Again, well done Michigander!

Semper  Fi

No, the civilian police said I was a vet and the military should investigate and the military said because it happened off base the civilian police should investigate it.  I ended up with a half a..s investigation.  They brought in the SSGT I said I thought did it or hired someone to attack and leave me for dead...I even explained in detail how he was stalking and harassing me for some time (which was in my report).  They brought him in for a short q&a and the investigator said "person didn't seem to hid or be suspicious" so he was let go.  Wow... I can't believe I just typed details about this....first time in 30 years.  I guess speaking about this anonymously must be the reason.  Quite frankly I wouldn't be able to survive any type of re-opening of the investigation at this point.

On 5/4/2017 at 8:11 AM, Andyman73 said:

I wish you all the best, @Michigander
@L, I wish I had police reports and such....but I don't. I couldn't, the risk to my life was far greater than the reward ever would have been.

Andyman73 : I can empathize,  assault was also with Attempted Murder, Police broke my door down to my barracks. He was Court Martialed.