VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MST Compensation Claim Question

Rate this question

Michigander

Question

Hi,

I am a victim of MST.  I have a police report in graphic detail of the assault while I was serving active duty in the Army.  The events (more than one) occurred 30 years ago, however, the images replay in my mind daily and to this day.  I somehow managed to get through life and was married once and have three children.  I have suffered internally (mentally) for years and have had a multitude of health problems including panic attacks and anxiety.  I want to file for compensation, but also to get the mental help I know need through the VA I understand it there for me...if I can finally get myself to be able to talk about it with a counselor.  I worked full time my entire life (now age 51) but was approved for SSD disability (civilian) for other medical conditions 3 years ago.  When reading some of the blogs proving my MST is not a problem as I have the police report, however, how or what do they need to prove my suffering of panic attacks and PTSD to access if my life has been affected by the MST for compensation purposes.  I have hid the MST events my entire life and even though I have taken anxiety medication on and off and even have seen a few counselors over the years I rarely talked about the MST and focused my sessions on other issues I think mostly so I didn't have to relive the events by talking about them.  So again I am wondering if the proof is there for the MST what proof is needed that it had impaired my life in such a way that compensation would be awarded.  I am not trying to find out how I can manipulate the system, but rather so that I can get an idea before putting myself through all the trauma of going through the application process if there is clearly no way I will even be awarded a disability rating if for example I do not have a trail of doctor's or psychiatry sessions stating I was talking about these events etc. to proved it has affected my life negatively.   

L,

I am so sorry you had to first go through the attack and then have to go through the court experience not to mention his potential parole in 2018...you are in my prayers!! I totally get the being afraid of your own thoughts.  My mind rules my me 24/7 and even though I've decided to seek treatment I quite honestly don't see how I would ever function without my thoughts as they are. My thoughts and the everyday measures I take have become almost another identity and at this point I don't see how I would ever let go of them...it is how I get through each day and moment by moment. 

L,

Can you tell me in a few steps what paperwork was ultimately submitted for your PTSD/MST claim?  I am getting conflicting information from VSO's ...it's like they don't know what they are talking about.

Did you submit DBQ's?

Personal/family statements?   ....along with your police reports?

How did you submit a diagnosis...I'm still confused as the VA MH said in a paper that they do not provide a diagnosis or handle MST claim paperwork (maybe I misread something)

On 4/23/2017 at 6:46 PM, Michigander said:

Hi,

I am a victim of MST.  I have a police report in graphic detail of the assault while I was serving active duty in the Army.  The events (more than one) occurred 30 years ago, however, the images replay in my mind daily and to this day.  I somehow managed to get through life and was married once and have three children.  I have suffered internally (mentally) for years and have had a multitude of health problems including panic attacks and anxiety.  I want to file for compensation, but also to get the mental help I know need through the VA I understand it there for me...if I can finally get myself to be able to talk about it with a counselor.  I worked full time my entire life (now age 51) but was approved for SSD disability (civilian) for other medical conditions 3 years ago.  When reading some of the blogs proving my MST is not a problem as I have the police report, however, how or what do they need to prove my suffering of panic attacks and PTSD to access if my life has been affected by the MST for compensation purposes.  I have hid the MST events my entire life and even though I have taken anxiety medication on and off and even have seen a few counselors over the years I rarely talked about the MST and focused my sessions on other issues I think mostly so I didn't have to relive the events by talking about them.  So again I am wondering if the proof is there for the MST what proof is needed that it had impaired my life in such a way that compensation would be awarded.  I am not trying to find out how I can manipulate the system, but rather so that I can get an idea before putting myself through all the trauma of going through the application process if there is clearly no way I will even be awarded a disability rating if for example I do not have a trail of doctor's or psychiatry sessions stating I was talking about these events etc. to proved it has affected my life negatively.   

Michigander

All I can say is hang with it and get the treatment that the VA has available to offer.  If you can afford private medical treatment, I would consider that as well.  

Like you, I managed to get into my late fifties before MST (which occurred in Germany in 1985) gradually destroyed me and my ability to provide for my family.   

If you ever need to chat or email, shoot me a message. Don't forget the crisis help line and all the good folks Like Thunderbird on this message board.  Many of us share your pain.

Good luck,

Mark

@MKAH

If okay, may I ask where in Germany you were stationed? As an Army Brat, I lived in Bad Hersfeld in the mid late 70s, which is near the Fulda Gap. And then again in the mid late 80's in Augsburg. We dependents arrived in January of '86, just in time for Chernobyl. And Challenger. Came back stateside in May of '89, a few weeks before the Wall came down.

I'm sorry you suffered MST...

Andrew

I was originally stationed at Furt (Nuermberg) and then I was sent to Erlangen..  My unit ID was 1/94 FA MLRS C-BTY.  C-BTY MLRS was a part of the 94th battalion located in Furt, but we were in Erlangen since they did not have room on the cassern for out rocket launchers.  I worked as the combat medic for C-BTY locaed near Ferris Barraks.

" I'm sorry you suffered MST... "   Thank you, same here.  I know you have a complete understanding of the physiological baggage this causes.

Edited by MKAH

On 5/22/2017 at 5:49 PM, Michigander said:

L,

Can you tell me in a few steps what paperwork was ultimately submitted for your PTSD/MST claim?  I am getting conflicting information from VSO's ...it's like they don't know what they are talking about.

Did you submit DBQ's?

Personal/family statements?   ....along with your police reports?

How did you submit a diagnosis...I'm still confused as the VA MH said in a paper that they do not provide a diagnosis or handle MST claim paperwork (maybe I misread something)

Michigander; The first step is for the documentation of the PTSD diagnosis through a VA.

VA.gov had all forms to download under forms section. https://www.va.gov/vaforms/form_detail.asp?FormNo=21-0781a

Remember to file an intent to file while gathering these documents - it is a placeholder for your effective date. (I did not know this at the time, so I missed out) 

Second, I paid for an IMO ( Independent Medical Exam)  Through Watchdog.com recommendation- I wanted to do a "GI Jane" on my claim! It cost $2,000 for my particular IMO.

I asked for specific criteria - yours could be less.....     I was not able to get anyone at the VA, to fill out the DBQ at the time. 

YES, submit the personal statement - keep it simple- but with pertinent details.

Set it aside then a few days later read it out loud to see if it sounds coherent. ( emotions play a large part in writing this statement) You want your point to be clear and concise

Gather all your evidence - keep the originals  I had so much evidence et al. I did not need the family statements- I still have never told my family about any of this...

Yes, the VA must give treatment to even Veterans who have not been diagnosed with PTSD-MST- who ask for treatment. 

I uploaded all papers on ebenefits, but also had my local VA submit and time stamp a copy - I call this Double Dipping - Buck52 says send snail mail and have the green certification                                showing they got it as an alternate form of submission. 

I sent the VA - all the inmates parole reports and other documents - it weighed 8 pounds - LOL - I received a letter stating to stop sending they had everything they needed. :unsure:

Hope this helps, You got this!  Work your claim - you know it the best. -

Sorry for the late reply - I am still attempting to block this inmate's parole,I hired someone to coordinate this at the Department of Justice, this was another $1600 out of my pocket but will pay off when he gets the notice his parole is denied - Forever !

L

Edited by L
forgot link for forms