VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MST Compensation Claim Question

Rate this question

Michigander

Question

Hi,

I am a victim of MST.  I have a police report in graphic detail of the assault while I was serving active duty in the Army.  The events (more than one) occurred 30 years ago, however, the images replay in my mind daily and to this day.  I somehow managed to get through life and was married once and have three children.  I have suffered internally (mentally) for years and have had a multitude of health problems including panic attacks and anxiety.  I want to file for compensation, but also to get the mental help I know need through the VA I understand it there for me...if I can finally get myself to be able to talk about it with a counselor.  I worked full time my entire life (now age 51) but was approved for SSD disability (civilian) for other medical conditions 3 years ago.  When reading some of the blogs proving my MST is not a problem as I have the police report, however, how or what do they need to prove my suffering of panic attacks and PTSD to access if my life has been affected by the MST for compensation purposes.  I have hid the MST events my entire life and even though I have taken anxiety medication on and off and even have seen a few counselors over the years I rarely talked about the MST and focused my sessions on other issues I think mostly so I didn't have to relive the events by talking about them.  So again I am wondering if the proof is there for the MST what proof is needed that it had impaired my life in such a way that compensation would be awarded.  I am not trying to find out how I can manipulate the system, but rather so that I can get an idea before putting myself through all the trauma of going through the application process if there is clearly no way I will even be awarded a disability rating if for example I do not have a trail of doctor's or psychiatry sessions stating I was talking about these events etc. to proved it has affected my life negatively.   

On 5/5/2017 at 3:23 PM, Michigander said:

No, the civilian police said I was a vet and the military should investigate and the military said because it happened off base the civilian police should investigate it.  I ended up with a half a..s investigation.  They brought in the SSGT I said I thought did it or hired someone to attack and leave me for dead...I even explained in detail how he was stalking and harassing me for some time (which was in my report).  They brought him in for a short q&a and the investigator said "person didn't seem to hid or be suspicious" so he was let go.  Wow... I can't believe I just typed details about this....first time in 30 years.  I guess speaking about this anonymously must be the reason.  Quite frankly I wouldn't be able to survive any type of re-opening of the investigation at this point.

I'm proud of you for talking about it. I don't know if I mentioned it to you, but there is an online survivor's community similar to Hadit.com. It's called Pandora's Aquarium. I would highly recommend you checking it out. There are tens of thousands of survivors on there from around the world. If you can imagine it, someone there has been through it. And more than a few have said that it is the only one they found where there is absolutely no victim shaming. And the age range is teen to senior citizen. This goes for you too @L.

And since that community is strictly anonymous, it's much easier to talk about your experiences and everything. Do yourself a favor and check it out. Even if you chose not to join, check it out, okay?

Andy

On 5/5/2017 at 4:51 PM, L said:

Andyman73 : I can empathize,  assault was also with Attempted Murder, Police broke my door down to my barracks. He was Court Martialed. 

Oh my. That would be a good police report to have on hand. Glad he was court martialed! Hope they put him away for a really long time!

Andy

Andyman73/ MikeR Hi just saw the posting, I finally spent some retro "Berta" ( I am a saver) went to St Thomas.

I appreciate the support - My assault had an added component - He was court martialed,......then murdered the next woman stabbing her 90 times, he is eligible for parole. ( short version)

The M.O. for the cases were similar, so I testified at the Court Martial- then for the Prosecution at the  Murder trial only one year later!  He sat  10 feet from the witness stand....both times! 

I submitted a Victim impact statement to the Parole board, He again got a 5 year denial(2014)  - this comes to an end in 2018 -He is up for Parole again! This will not end until he or I die..... 

When I received the IU award I did not hesitate to take it, this incident/trauma/assault et al has impacted my life. 

My claim was "easier" since the NIS Report  had crime scene photos/His confession (idiot) the Sheriff's report and initially they rated me at 50% ! Once I completed the first year in Treatment - I realized how much my symptomatology fit the 70% PTSD criteria- Refiled. ( NIS- only keeps these for 40 years ) 

L

Edited by L

I forgot to add - I have received "excellent" care at the MH clinic at the VA - I am very happy I sought out treatment. It has changed my life, not being afraid of my own thoughts... et al. 

• HadIt.com Elder

This link might help some!

https://statesidelegal.org/how-file-well-prepared-mst-claim

I agree with L  ..I don't have PTSD Due to MST, but I do have chronic PTSD high anxiety and depressive disorders  and been in treatment sessions for the last 2 years plus every week and the cognitive  therapy seems to be helping.

Cognitive Processing Therapy BUT they may use other methods of therapy for MST.

Edited by Buck52