VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MST Compensation Claim Question

Rate this question

Michigander

Question

Hi,

I am a victim of MST.  I have a police report in graphic detail of the assault while I was serving active duty in the Army.  The events (more than one) occurred 30 years ago, however, the images replay in my mind daily and to this day.  I somehow managed to get through life and was married once and have three children.  I have suffered internally (mentally) for years and have had a multitude of health problems including panic attacks and anxiety.  I want to file for compensation, but also to get the mental help I know need through the VA I understand it there for me...if I can finally get myself to be able to talk about it with a counselor.  I worked full time my entire life (now age 51) but was approved for SSD disability (civilian) for other medical conditions 3 years ago.  When reading some of the blogs proving my MST is not a problem as I have the police report, however, how or what do they need to prove my suffering of panic attacks and PTSD to access if my life has been affected by the MST for compensation purposes.  I have hid the MST events my entire life and even though I have taken anxiety medication on and off and even have seen a few counselors over the years I rarely talked about the MST and focused my sessions on other issues I think mostly so I didn't have to relive the events by talking about them.  So again I am wondering if the proof is there for the MST what proof is needed that it had impaired my life in such a way that compensation would be awarded.  I am not trying to find out how I can manipulate the system, but rather so that I can get an idea before putting myself through all the trauma of going through the application process if there is clearly no way I will even be awarded a disability rating if for example I do not have a trail of doctor's or psychiatry sessions stating I was talking about these events etc. to proved it has affected my life negatively.   

I know Dad was with tanks at Bad Hersfeld. For his second 12 of 24 years he was FDC for FA. He was with the 8" M109 Paladins...can't remember what unit he was with. I know one was the 17 FA, but whether or not that was Fort Sill, or Augsburg, or NTC Fort Irwin...I just don't remember. His final assignment was at NTC Ft Irwin, as acting brigage SgtMaj for then Col. Clark..the same who tried to run for pres. in 2004.

Yeah,...baggage...good word.. yeah.

• HadIt.com Elder

L

Great information above.

As for as the forms  I believe its the PTSD Form due to MST  (offical code = 1720d of title 38) and then the statement of case form 21-078a secondary to personal assault.

In my opinion with this type of claim  it is difficult for the veterans female or male  to go around asking everyone one type claims to file  its hard enough on the victims just to come out with this dreaded horrible  crime.

so anyone with MST and wants to file a claim  just ask here on hadit  we will get you the correct forms to file...just try your best to get back your normal life and live out the best that you have left.

I am so sorry this happen to you guys, however please hold your head up high you served your country proud and that's a very warm and heartfelt feeling  be proud of you.

God Bless each and everyone of you victims from MST.

@MKAH  Thank you for your offer and show of support.  It's strange how you think you can out run this with family, career and just life just to find out when you finally slow down it hits you like a steal wall.  I just went for my MH eval at the VA this week and do see a civilian therapist, but do to finances I had to see what VA had to offer in terms of specialized therapy for MST.  We will see.

@Buck52  Thanks again Buck that means a lot.  I loved serving my country, but circumstances do cloud up opinion of self and it's a good reminder to be proud.  Thank you for the info. too. 

Can someone direct me on when I write my personal statement and who do I give it to or how do I submit it?  I met with a VSO and she said she would file everything however, she also said I did not need a dx of PTSD for my claim.  I think once again someone is misinformed!!  I do realize I have up to a year since I already filed the ITF, so I'm in no rush.   Just wondering is it something I can submit through ebennifts on my own or should I wait like the VSO directed me too and give her all my paperwork.  She said to see VA MH for 3-4 months then come back to her with my police report, personal statements and mental health notes from the VA and she would complete my application at that time.  She also said I should pay someone $400 to fill out a DBQ, but another VSO rep. told me I did not need a DBQ at all!!!  another inconsistency!!  It's hard to know who the "blank" knows what they are talking about .....maybe it's just a VA Michigan thing!

@L  Thanks L for all the great info.  What was the reason you felt you needed to pay for the IMO...hadn't heard of that before?  Was that in place of a DBQ?  By the way, I can't believe you having to pay more money to protect yourself from that monster all these many years later!!  I am so sorry that must be like re-opening a healing wound every time you have to deal with it.  Praying that the book will be slammed down hard on him!!  Keep up the fight I know you must get weary.

• HadIt.com Elder

Michigander

I think all you need to do is get a PTSD Dx  from VA MH Dept. then just file your claim under the PTSD due to sexual personal Assault  MST has a official code they go by, it is under the official 38 U.S. Code 1720 (D)

As for as saying things in the statement in support of claim    These three letters says it all M.S.T., you just attach your evidence and let the VA Figured it all out   although you maybe sent to a C&P However if you have probative evidence (strong evidence) then you may not need a C&P....anything you say in these medical records is suppose to be confidential and only the people that help you with treatment and your claim is the only ones able to see it.

Some MST Victims can't give a description of what happen and that's ok you don't need to...as I understand the 38 CFR Regulations.

Police reports and your evidence is enough and what the VA MH Dr's and LCSW & Clinicians say how your effected by this  Awful Crime. ect,,ect,,,

They are all suppose to be Professionals and they know not to get in to DEEP with this type claim...If you can't or don't want to repeat any of what happen to you on that certain date of the past   then you don't need to do it. it should not effect your claim what so ever.

jmo