VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Know Of A Different Bp Med That Might Help Mee

Rate this topic

Im 20% for hypertensions but should be at 40%.

Anyways, started out on 10 mg Lisinopril, then bumped to 20 mg lisinopril for a few month. Neither of these levels even got m below 90. and most the time I was running 110-120 while on it.

Last week got bumped up to 30mg lisinopril. Same results. Now jusy got bumped up to 40 MG lisinopril and some water pill to go with it. This level actuall makes a difference. 5 hours after I take it it will have me below 90 (for the first time), BUT, either later than night or the nezt morning, it is back up to 100-110 before I take my meds.

I know this is not good for me and I need to be on something that will keep me at a safe level all the time. Has anyone else had any help with other BP drugs? I also hate having to piss 10 times a day after taking those pills, Especially after a percocet, because all I can do is lay there. Ive been having bad signs and symptoms lately so its gotten me worried.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest terrysturgis

Nathan, My medicine is as follows: Lisinopril-5mg, Hydrochlorothiazide-25mg, Tiazac/Tiazem HCL-240mg. I'm not a Doctor, just telling you what works for me. My BP is doing very well 24/7 and this is what works for me with my DMII. Your concern is well founded as HBP is a life threatening problem.

My DMII is a little out of control but the BP is doing good. Life is good. Take care. Terry Sturgis

Nathan, My medicine is as follows: Lisinopril-5mg, Hydrochlorothiazide-25mg, Tiazac/Tiazem HCL-240mg. I'm not a Doctor, just telling you what works for me. My BP is doing very well 24/7 and this is what works for me with my DMII. Your concern is well founded as HBP is a life threatening problem.

My DMII is a little out of control but the BP is doing good. Life is good. Take care. Terry Sturgis

Terry,

Check out the web article at http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=746

I was involved in the discovery and development of this and can fill you in on "the rest of the story."

I'm at zedaassn@sbcglobal.net

Ralph

Im 20% for hypertensions but should be at 40%.

Anyways, started out on 10 mg Lisinopril, then bumped to 20 mg lisinopril for a few month. Neither of these levels even got m below 90. and most the time I was running 110-120 while on it.

Last week got bumped up to 30mg lisinopril. Same results. Now jusy got bumped up to 40 MG lisinopril and some water pill to go with it. This level actuall makes a difference. 5 hours after I take it it will have me below 90 (for the first time), BUT, either later than night or the nezt morning, it is back up to 100-110 before I take my meds.

I know this is not good for me and I need to be on something that will keep me at a safe level all the time. Has anyone else had any help with other BP drugs? I also hate having to piss 10 times a day after taking those pills, Especially after a percocet, because all I can do is lay there. Ive been having bad signs and symptoms lately so its gotten me worried.

Nathan,

I used to be on lisinopril and a diuretic. Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor. Diuretics take potassium out of your system. Potassium also affects lisinopril (how, I'm not sure). Upshot is that you need to talk with your MD about potassium supplementation while you're on the water pills. If the palms of your hands turn pinkish, and particularly if you start getting the shakes, you are getting into low-potassium trouble.

Ralph

• HadIt.com Elder

Nathan, I take 40 MG lisoniprol, 30 mg Nifedipine, 25mg Diuretic, 100mg metropolol 50 X, 0.1 mg Clonidine.

That is what it took to get mine under control and many times it still goes over 130 Diastolic.

Stay away from salt, Pork. Eat Garlic on everything you can.

Learn how to relax.

Go fishing as much as you can.

My BP and yours is called disabling Hypertension.

Good Luck

Lisinopril gave me a bronchitis like symptom. I was treated with antibiotics, steriods, and all kinds of stuff for 3 years, before another doc here in FL told me to switch. All symptoms went away in a week. Maxzide is non-potassium depleting diuretic. I take Felodine 5mg 1 day, 200mg labetalol bid, clonidine .3 bid. I used to use the clonidine patches, but my butt (the least hairy place on my body) got so scarred and bruised from the patch burns that I switched to the pills. I have 2 ascending aortic anyurism at 4 1/2 cm so I have to keep by BP under control. It runs about 160/98 ( not real good, but better than it was). Out of 9 S/C ratings my B/P is the lowest at 10% Go figure, that's the one that will eventually save the VA my monthly comp. I've been S/C 37 years The first 60% (TDIU T&P) is 29 years.