VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Pay: How long is too long?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Though this question does apply to me, I'm sure it's a question MANY vets have.

Won a CUE and IU effective January, 27th, 2017 via formal RO review.

My case falls under the "3 signature" rule, which means the retro entails more than 25K, and is expected to take a "little" while longer.

American Legion rep said "look for the retro in a month or so from the decision date(above), and that big white envelope a few weeks later; Ebenefits entry for the approval is anyone's guess..."

Called the rep back in March, his answer "The VA is way behind on these things, give it another month" Mid April I called the VA's 800 number and was told "Your case is in Washington DC right now...so we can't tell you a completion date..."

Today is May 1st, 2017; So 3 months, one week and 4 days later since my decision date, and no retro, no white envelope, no Ebenefits entry.

Now, before I ask the topic question, let me ask this question: Cases that involve three signatures, what's the "path", where do these cases go, and is there a mandatory time line the VA has to complete these types of case? OH, by the way, I've had NO monthly pay increase as well.

Yes, yes I know, I'm not the only pebble on the beach, but....

How long is too long?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Allan I'd keep bugging them about it, they will have all kinds of excuses  like vacation or waiting on a signature from someone who is on vacation or some BS they can make up.

I can't answer your question sorry. and for the Vets that have had large sums of retro I believe its just different times on each veteran.

3 months&a week  you should have recieved your packet/decision but maybe not the large retro just yet..I'd give it at least until July or so..I remember a vet letting me know his large sum of retro took 6 months.

I believe you will be sent the extra time you had to wait   for your retro too it will probably follow your large reto payment.

Edited by Buck52

Buck, thanks for your reply.

Actually though, I posted this question more for giving vets some useful information, experiences, horror stories....rather than me whining and crying about money(I'm  ok financially); I've really not seen posted here on hadit  the "process"  for these 25K+ retros. What's the 411 on them? Where and how are they decided, they go from the RO to where...?

Berta has been wonderful with posting links to very useful information about the "3 signature" process, but those links don't really go into the who, what, when, where....of the process.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

We have all been through it.  Well, except for the newbies who are first posting.  I know its frustrating.  But you have no choice but to wait.  I always suggest you do something else rather than watching paint dry.  

Yes, I know 2 or 3 months seems like a long time, but to VA that is "expidited", well, unless its a VA employee, and they pass out their checks in 2 weeks or less.  

It will take "how ever long" VA wants it to take, and they are NEVER in any hurry to get your claim out.  They get paid every other Friday, so they dont care about you..whether you lose your home or not waiting.  (By the way, I did lose my home waiting on VA benefits, so I know what I am talking about here.)

Unless your home is in foreclosure or you are being evicted, then you need to simply wait.  Its okay to take an active role and make a call once a week..call your VSO, call Peggy, the BVA, etc., etc. once a week but no more, then put it out of your mind and work on one of your hobbies until the following week.  It may help to set a date far in the future, like Christmas, and resign yourself that you are hoping for the money before Christmas, and that you will call once a week to make sure it gets here by then.    What you are doing is "setting a goal post" for yourself, slowly moving the ball once a week toward the goal.  Very few football games are won with the "hail mary" pass, but if you have 3 seconds left you have no choice but to try it.  You are still in the 3rd quarter, so there is plenty of time for you to score a goal by calling once a week.  

If you dont get the money by Christmas, then reset your goal posts to the 4th of July and keep on going.  

Edited by broncovet

And also, make sure you dont tell someone else, "Ok, I will have my money by (insert date such as memorial day) or else, so you will get your money"

Dont make any promises dependent on a VA employee doing his or her job.  They get paid even if they dont do their job.  Its just the way it is.  

bronco, as I said in my last post, I'm more interested in the "process" of these types of claims, than anything else.

Now, back to this Peggy, my last 4 calls to the VA, I was told they don't know this Peggy; my calls are almost always routed to the Salk Lake City switch board.

Also, I'm not watching paint dry here, or hounding the VA on a daily basis, my purpose for my question is to know  at what point does the veteran start making calls, asking questions...at the UPPER levels of the VA system? When does the veteran call the RO director's office, Senator's offices...?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

Allen, wait a week or so, the New VA Call Center in India is about to open. They'll definitely be able to find Peggy and get all your issues squared away. Right after they work on my Cable Bill.

Joke - Joke - Joke

Semper Fi