VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam results for skin and nasal injury/scar

Rate this question

JFizzle

Question

Hello Good People at Hadit,

I recently got the exam report from a c&p done less that 2 weeks ago. I will post the results below.

I have a few questions about the report and the expectation of the service connected rating scale.

For the DBQ for Skin Diseases it states:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evidence reviewed (check all that apply):

[X] VA e-folder (VBMS or Virtual VA)

[X] CPRS

1. Diagnosis:

-------------

Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever had a skin condition?

[X] Yes [ ] No

[X] Dermatitis or eczema

Diagnosis: Tinea versicolor

ICD code: NSC Date of diagnosis: NSC

[X] Other skin condition

Other diagnosis #1: Pseudofollicultis barbae

ICD code: L73.1 Date of diagnosis: May 2000

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 1:

For the Tinea Versicolor, does NSC mean Non Service Connected? and if I was diagnosed in the service for it, should I speak with my rep about providing this evidence from my hard copy Military Service Records before the DRO reviews it for decision (its an appeal)? Would it be too late since the exam portion is finished even though it is still in Remanded Appeal Status in E-Benefits?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Treatment

------------

a. Has the Veteran been treated with oral or topical medications in the past

12 months for any skin condition?

[X] Yes [ ] No

[X] Other topical medications

If checked, list medication(s): Ketoconazole shampoo 2%

Specify condition medication used for: Tinea versicolor

Total duration of medication use in past 12 months:

[ ] < 6 weeks

[ ] 6 weeks or more, but not constant

[X] Constant/near-constant

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2:

I have been treating this condition constantly as stated.

If the Tinea versicolor is rated 0%, but the use of medication is constantly needed is rated at a higher percentage, (assuming the NSC means no compensation available and is overturned to service connected), would a service connection for this disease be counted for a higher percentage than 0%? And if so, could I back date the service connection start date if awarded somehow?

In the opinion summary, the tinea versicolor was not mentioned in the likely's and unlikely's. Does that mean no rating?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are the favorable results... any idea on percentage awarded from the rater based on historical cases?

1. Pseudofolliculitis barbae-ANSWER: The Veteran has a diagnosis of pseudofolliculitis barbae that is at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) incurred in or caused by service.

2. Deviation of the nasal septum-ANSWER: The Veteran has a diagnosis of traumatic deviation of the nasal septum, s/p nasal septal surgery for chronic nasal obstruction; and laceration of the nose that are at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) caused by the injury to his nose on 16 March 2005, while in service.

3. Nose Scar- Does the Veteran have any other pertinent physical findings, complications,conditions, signs or symptoms (such as muscle or nerve damage) associated with any scar (regardless of location) or disfigurement of the head, face, or neck? Yes

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

you probably know all about this  if not clink on the link  it may help you out some.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/getting-veterans-disability-compensation-skin-conditions-related-military-service.html

Also contact Hadit member Member James Cripps   either PM on hadit  or

http://usva101.org/ ( united states veteran alliance )

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Luck

# 3 might prompt to give you a scar C & P. Those ratings and all SC ratings are available here in our VA Schedule of Ratings link, scrollabout halfway down the page for the diagnostic codes and ratings.

But sometimes it is easier to find ratings in BVA decisions:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp17/files1/1701264.txt

Rating info in the decision - the vet got 60-%-for Pseudofolliculitis barbae-

In this link there are many recent decision for the septum situation:

https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva_search.jsp?QT=traumatic+deviation+of+the+nasal+septum%2C+s%2Fp+nasal+septal+surgery+for+chronic+nasal+obstruction&EW=&AT=&ET=&RPP=10&DB=2017&DB=2016

Best to read through a few to narrow down ratings that compare to your deviated septum disability.

Then if you delete the search words in the top browser at the BVA, and put nasal scar, and click on 2017-2016-2015 those decisions will pop up. I dont have time to search more there this minute....but let me know if the link above does not work.

We have had vets here as well, available under a hadit search for these same disabilities, whose posts might help you determine a rating.