• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
Michigander

MST Claim - I have started the journey

Question

My heart goes out to all of my fellow survivors of MST ...

For me, I have found I can no longer suppress and manage the daily physical and emotional affects of the sexual assault that took place on December 25, 1985 while serving on active duty.  In effort to find some help, relief and hopefully someday healing I am starting the uphill journey to deal with this and try to share some of the highlights of my battle.  I will be the first to admit I have no idea what I am doing and can only hope that God the father.... will guide my feet day by day. 

First step locating documentation of the event.  A few weeks ago I was able to locate the police dept. and requested a copy of the report.  I received a copy of the 15 page report this past week and it makes me emotionally and physically sick just to look at the envelope it's in.

I also tried to locate medical records over the years from prior mental health therapists and physicians that would have documented my history as it related to these events, but the practices were closed or my records were no longer available due to time.

April I called the VA to inquire about mental health services for MST and hesitated to start the process because the MST would not be marked in my record for all my providers to see.  This was a big hurdle mentally as I have always hid this event at all costs from my providers.   I am sure this did not help my physicians treat me and fully understand my ongoing medical problems especially those in which are usually brought on by some big life event which I always adamantly denied when asked. 

May 2nd 2017, I submitted a "intent to file".

May 4th 2017, I went to a VSO rep?? to asked questions about the process to file a claim related to MST.  The rep was belittling, insulting, hurtful, rude and I walked out of that office with no more information and the psychological affects were pretty devastating.  At the encouragement from my daughter to go straight to the patient advocate office and file a complaint....I did just that.  I found myself have a total mental breakdown just trying to give the details of what just went down and was thankfully met with support and many reassurances that I would have a team of people helping moving forward and that person would be brought in...dealt with and re-trained.  I will spare you all the details.

My next step is hearing from the mental health dept. to set up an appt. to do some type of baseline evaluation of my symptoms etc. as it related to MST... I guess to get an official diagnosis on record and to get me the specific therapy I need started.  I will likely opt for tele-therapy once I have a few sessions onsite at the VA. 

That's it for now

I'm sorry to hear this happen to you the MST & What the VA VSO mention to you  no excuses for that type of behavior what so ever. you were right in complaint to the patient Advocate.

Your making the right choice  to go to your local VA Medical Center and contact the VA MST Coordinator.(there's no time limit to report this so don't be worrying about that.

Here is a link from the VA Describing how to and what to do about Being a Victim of this horrible trauma event.

https://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/msthome.asp

Just remember you have 1 year to gather up all your evidence and submit your INT. 

I will say as you talk with MS they will be nice and trained in this type of event so when they ask questions if it bothers you to much just let them know, it may not be as bad as you may think...they are not there to make you relive this horrible event.

I wish you well & happiness.

Hi,

I share your pain, I was in the same situation for over 30 years before I filed my claim. My illness prior to therapy and group sessions was like slowly peeling a band aid off a festering wound until finally the band aid just ripped itself off and left a pathetic mentally ill shell of my former self. I had to leave a job that I loved after 23 years because I could no longer function in the setting where there was a crowd and lots of noise, I isolated myself from my family and friends until my husband of 26 years gave me an ultimatum, get help or I'm leaving, I got help and am slowly living again. I put in a intent to file, I went into my garage and pulled out my briefcase from my military days, found the evidence I needed to win my claim, I bought myself a laptop, found Hadit (enormous help) and read from a distance the questions and answers on this board. I worked my claim with only GOD and myself, I was awarded 70% after 6 months, I put in for IU and SSDI three weeks later, I was awarded SSDI and 100% P&T within a month of each other with IU being moot. My claim took nine months from start to finish. I am still in therapy and I attend group with 6 others every two weeks for 2 years now, get help and GOD BLESS!  

• Like 1

Thank you and I am so happy for you although it's not an easy journey to healing I know.   Do you mind sharing a little about the steps your took and the process you were required to go through that ultimately led to your 70% rating. 

Thank you and God bless!

• Like 1

Hi,

Yes, I can share with the route I took. I first had to admit to myself that I had mental issues that I thought was only visible only to me and only on the inside but not true my family and friends have since shared with me that I was a totally different person after the military and even considered having me committed. I first went to my local VARO , where I was assigned a Social Worker and a Psychologist, Diagnosed, and prescribed  5 different medications which I still take daily. I was scheduled a C&P exam which was terrifying because I had to relive my worst nightmare to a total stranger, I was awarded 70%. I attempted to rejoin the work force but was unable to, my Psychologist warned me that before hand that I was not ready and perhaps never would be able to work again. She encouraged me to apply for an increase and she even wrote a letter on my behalf without me asking. I put that letter away because there was no way I was going to go through another C&P. Two weeks later at my next appointment she asked me about the letter I told her that I wasn't going to file for an increase because of the C&P and she said to me "It's your decision but in my opinion you will never work again". I sent in my paperwork that day and I also applied for SSDI that day. I hope this helps you and if you need to message me you can, anytime. That's if it okay with Hadit. I am a little uncomfortable bearing all in an open setting but if it helps you , I'm okay GOD BLESS!

• Like 1

@Maggiebell That is so wonderful...He is good, and He certainly blessed you...9 months...that must be some kind of world record for MST claim!!!! WOW!!! I'm speechless...and tearing up...I"m so happy for you.

@Michigander, see...she got her SSD and 100% P&T almost back to back!!!

I just got a FED-EX package at the house, while I"m still at work. I was contacted by LHI in reference to C&P exam, I'm going to guess that it's for my PTSD secondary to MST claim...I wish I had the faith of you two wonderful Vets...I won't ruin your happy by going on...

• Like 1