VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Preservice FlatFoot discovery.... Help?

Rate this question

JFizzle

Question

Good day Good people of Hadit:

I recently reviewed my medical records from MEPS and discovered I was documented to having mild pes planus as a pre-service condition. With all of the lower extremity issues I have had throughout my service (and continue to have), none of my in-service records beyond MEPS indicated I had flat feet. Recently, I was diagnosed with severe flat feet by my physical therapist during my initial evaluation. I was also told from my podiatrist that I have moderately severe flat feet and plantar fasciitis in my left foot which that got me looking into claiming this disability with the VA in the first place. I am currently service connected with Right Ankle Achilles tendonitis and bursitis 10%, Left knee injury postoperative residuals 10%, and Left Knee meniscal tear with ACL tear 10% for my lower extremities. Other issues I do have is weakness in my thigh muscle from the ACL surgery that has not healed or developed properly, continued pain in both feet, bilateral knee aches, and back spasms (all in which I have been to the doctor and referred to attend physical therapy sessions). If I have this pre-existing condition recorded from MEPs and it is worst now than it was when I entered the service, can I claim it. Also, how would it effect the other lower extremities I am currently service connected for? Will it lower, increase, or not effect them. I want to make a wise claim, and not something that will complicate it even more. Any thoughts, guidance, or experience with favorable or unfavorable results? Thanks.

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Sure, you can file for the pre-existing pes planus. If you had no treatment visits for it while you were in, then it might be best to ask your podiatrist to fill out a DBQ and write up an IMO on your behalf. Without a history of treatment visits in service and no IMO from your doc, then the VA may be likely deny it. My advice to you is to double-check your service treatment records, every page, front and back.

As far as possible ratings, they may opt to reduce the rating which is awarded. It's supposed to be according to the rating schedule and represent the aggravation/worsening which occurred while in service. It might just be a 10% reduction, but you might want check the rating criteria to get a better idea.