VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lost active duty medical records, now what?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

OK folks here's a tough one.

Got a veteran who served active duty army from 1976-1979, one tour in Korea, then got out in the states in 1979. No reserve time, no further military duty.

The veteran was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea POST military, has a long history of sinus problems, BOTH in and out of the military, and his Dr. has agreed to write him a Nexus letter on the condition he can provide his ACTIVE duty medical records.

The problem is that NO active duty medical records came with his C-File! Here is a list of every place he/we have searched:

1. NPRC(no his records did not burn up there)

2. ALL VA hospitals he has been associated with, including his home town VA, the VA where he got out of the army, and all VA hospitals where he lives.

3. The VA itself told the veteran they can't find his records as well.

Also note that the veteran was NEVER hospitalized in a VA facility.

So now what? Where else do we search?

Thanks

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Allan

you might try this link!!!

https://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/state-archives.html

check the address for your state  or your friends state  then click on Veterans Service Records also try the Records Management  this may or may not help?

Edited by Buck52

Buck, as in my original post, we already did the SF 180 route with no results.

The state archives link you posted wont contain medical records, as those are not for public viewing.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

This worked for me.  When I got out I had all of my medical records except for when I was hospitalized while deployed to Iraq.  I requested my medical records from all of the regular sources to include the Wisconsin National Guard HQ's, since I was a member.  All came back with nothing.

A year later, I wrote all of my congressman/woman asking for help.  Within a week I received a call from the military rep from one of my senators saying he was representing all of the congressmen that I had written.  I told him what I was looking for.  A month later I received a letter from the Senator telling my that they tried but were unsuccessful.

However, about six months later I did receive a big envelope from a military hospital with my records for that time and event.

Maybe, I shook some branches somewhere, and someone found the records.

So, I would write every congressman/woman in your State and ask them for help.

Can't hurt,

Hamslice

Hamslice, we are pretty much doing the same thing that Senators and Congressmen do, contacting all the hospitals, clinics, NPRC...that the veteran had anything to do with.

We are awaiting responses from five VA hospitals in the states, as well as the 21st Evacuation Hospital in Seoul, South Korea.

We are taking suggestions from many sources, including military.com, vawatchdog.org, togetherweserved.com....et al.

I'm taking the "triage" approach here, doing everything possible BEFORE turning this over to a politician.

Thanks for your input, and as usual, Berta, broncovet, Buck....all are helping as well.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

• HadIt.com Elder

well shaunnhey.

You might try this site  and see request his medals  ect,,ect,,   they could be something behind them as for as records are concerned.

https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/public/awards-and-decorations.html

if he use the Military Hospital and during basic tranning and AIT  he should have some medical Records  its just a matter of finding the right person to get them.

what did NRPC tell you to do? did they say nope we don't have them? if they did write them back or call then and request nicely  that they find them.

Buck, the NPRC said they didn't have the medical records. We still have a few irons in the fire with various VA hospitals.

We have already sent out the Freedom Of Information forms to the army hospitals where he took basic and AIT at, as well as Korea, and the other 2 duty stations where he served.

ALL those bases are covered.

We even took a look-see at the old microfiche system at the NPRC with no results.

He was only in 3 years, so that makes things a little easier, or a little harder, depending on how you look at it.

As you know, a Dr. getting ready to write a Nexus letter will not write it without SOMETHING that connects the condition to military service.

Also, many folks keep suggesting these "buddy" letters, yes, those are good, but the VA will not accept them alone to prove sleep apnea was service connected, just not happening.

Right now we are waiting for responses from all the hospitals, clinics....we contacted.

"Hurry up and wait" as the army used to say!

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!