VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU and SSDI

Rate this question

Trapperx6

Question

I was just rated 70% for PTSD bringing my total disability to 90%.  I have worked very part-time as a bus driver but have been let go due to the meds I'm on and my PTSD.  I am planning on applying for IU and SSDI.  Is there one I should be applying for first or can they be applied for at the same time?   Any thoughts and comments are very much appreciated! 

The VA and Social Security are two different facilitators. They do not talk to each other and you may get approved for one and not the other. I would apply for both as soon as you can.

Trapper,

Apply for both.

SSDI

Use your VA medical records (and civilian) and ratings for filing for SSDI.  SSDI uses a list of maladies that limit your ability to work.  Not sure how old you are, but age matters with SSDI.  Under 50, hard to get, 50-59 not so hard, 60+ easier.  They don't care that you lost your current job.  SSDI is notorious for denying your first and second attempts.  The third attempt (appeal) is when a real doctor looks at your claim.  But, I have learned that if your malady is on their list, sometimes you get it on the first go around.  My wife suffers from Multiple Sclerosis, which is not on the list, so we ended up going all three rounds.  

IU

Now, with the VA, you need to get something from your last employer saying they let you go because of your VA meds.  That will be a big help with IU.  That and your 70% PTSD (and other conditions), I would think would be a great start.

The sooner you file, the sooner you get,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

Ham nailed it in my case. I received SSDI in less than 2 months...on the first try. In fact, They sent me a letter and schedule date to visit their version of a C&P exam. Before I even received this info my case manager called me and said I was approved and to disregard this exam. I would say; however, I believe they give much weight to a form letter that they send you to fill out and another one for a close family member to fill out and send. I don't even know what my daughter put on this. I just told her to be honest when answering the questions.

I have no experience with IU.

I hope this helps.

Please do apply for both take me as a prime example of what not to do.. I've been only focused on the VA I was approved at 90 since 2010 100 since 2016 and somehow I never even heard of SSDI until 2017 when my last employer asked me why I haven't filed for it. Jan 2017. I'm not going to say having been 100 or 90  before hand won't  help to get a decision. And in my case it was a denial so I'm here in the reconsiderstion appeal since Delaware has to do this before judge looks at it bummer for me I was also approved for a Permanent and total rating so you would think it's a no brainer. But it won't be Approved I'm sure until a judge looks at it but I could be wrong but I'm done guessing why I hired an attorney. Who knows had I done this from the intial filing I would have been approved. Going on 6 months now so if you are betting on SSA right away check your state to se processing times...

I would like to correct my advice:  Yes, apply for tdiu and ssdi, but also apply for an INCREASE on your present disabilities, especially if any have worsened symptoms (such as PTSD).  The reason is you may be increased in rating for PTSD, up to 100 percent.  You see, if you read the rating criteria for 100  percent for mental health disorders, including PTSD, it includes "total occupational" impairment.  

If you lose your job due to PTSD, then that is a symptom of total occupational impairment.  You may well need more evidence if you dont have it, but getting fired because of your ptsd is a key piece of the evidence you need.  

In other words, if your doc said you got fired from your job due to ptsd AND the doc stated you were unable to maintain SGE due to your PTSD for other types of work as well,  then this is highly suggestive of total occupational impairment, that is, a significant part of the criteria for 100 percent mental health disorders.  

Edited by broncovet