VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU and SSDI

Rate this question

Trapperx6

Question

I was just rated 70% for PTSD bringing my total disability to 90%.  I have worked very part-time as a bus driver but have been let go due to the meds I'm on and my PTSD.  I am planning on applying for IU and SSDI.  Is there one I should be applying for first or can they be applied for at the same time?   Any thoughts and comments are very much appreciated! 

On 5/18/2017 at 3:42 AM, Hamslice said:

Trapper,

Apply for both.

SSDI

Use your VA medical records (and civilian) and ratings for filing for SSDI.  SSDI uses a list of maladies that limit your ability to work.  Not sure how old you are, but age matters with SSDI.  Under 50, hard to get, 50-59 not so hard, 60+ easier.  They don't care that you lost your current job.  SSDI is notorious for denying your first and second attempts.  The third attempt (appeal) is when a real doctor looks at your claim.  But, I have learned that if your malady is on their list, sometimes you get it on the first go around.  My wife suffers from Multiple Sclerosis, which is not on the list, so we ended up going all three rounds.  

IU

Now, with the VA, you need to get something from your last employer saying they let you go because of your VA meds.  That will be a big help with IU.  That and your 70% PTSD (and other conditions), I would think would be a great start.

The sooner you file, the sooner you get,

Hamslice

I appled for my IU, had the C&P exam and within 3 days they changed my 70% PTSD rating to 100% Permanent and Total.  

Next month I have my SSDI evaluation.   

On 5/18/2017 at 3:42 AM, Hamslice said:

Edited by Trapperx6

On 6/5/2017 at 8:36 AM, broncovet said:

I would like to correct my advice:  Yes, apply for tdiu and ssdi, but also apply for an INCREASE on your present disabilities, especially if any have worsened symptoms (such as PTSD).  The reason is you may be increased in rating for PTSD, up to 100 percent.  You see, if you read the rating criteria for 100  percent for mental health disorders, including PTSD, it includes "total occupational" impairment.  

If you lose your job due to PTSD, then that is a symptom of total occupational impairment.  You may well need more evidence if you dont have it, but getting fired because of your ptsd is a key piece of the evidence you need.  

In other words, if your doc said you got fired from your job due to ptsd AND the doc stated you were unable to maintain SGE due to your PTSD for other types of work as well,  then this is highly suggestive of total occupational impairment, that is, a significant part of the criteria for 100 percent mental health disorders.  

I applied for both IU with the VA and SSDI.  I had my exam in July and instead of approving me for IU they raised my 70% PTSD rating to 100% Permanent and total.  The increase came back in 4 days after my C&P.

This has been a more lengthy process with SSDI.  Now they want me to go for one of their evaluations next month.  Someone actually told me part of it is a written test.  Not sure.   I have panic attacks over things like that and not sure how I will even do it.  I am close to 59 years of age.  I also have a certified PTSD Service Dog that I plan on bringing with me to the exam.  

I am hoping that my 100% Permanent and total VA rating for PTSD will help with getting SSDI.  There is no way I can work (get very little sleep, panic atracks, flashbacks and anger issues.)  I will be 59 years of age here soon.  SSDI is sending me for an exam and I am hearing that it is much more in depth than the VA's C&P.

Yes, it should.   Your SSDI exam should be easier than VA; both are looking at whether or not you can work, but VA's had to be service connected.  SSDI does not concern itself with eitiology of whether or not it occurred in service.  

You should be good to go.  Show up for the exam, on time or early, and be honest.  Dont try to exaggerate your symptoms, these guys are trying to sniff that out, and are fairly adept at doing so.  

Expect to get denied for SSDI...they take a page out of VA's playbook and deny most people the first go around, and see who is serious enough to appeal.  You will likely need a social security disability attorney to get your SSDI...just be prepared for that and accept it.  

I got my SSDI AFTER VA, but should have applied earlier.  SSDI is MUCH less stressful than VA.  

I don't know that it's less stressful my initial denied reconsider appeal denied like most will say is normal. Then it was said 18-24 month wait for my hearing. Don't listen it has now been scheduled in 5 months once I contacted my state senator who submitted an inquiry since I am Permanent and Total. I've been to 45 medical appts in exactly the last year related to my disabilities been found P an T since November. But I'm only 31 years old and now I understand age is a factor for SSA, I was in the VA Voc rehab since October 10 just ended today so I can keep actively working on my health and go to an impatient rehab in October for my TBI in Virginia for two weeks paid for by the VA. This was a recent evaluation sorry not high jacking from poster 

IMG_6512.PNG

Edited by jfrei

Just read your post, interesting.. I am TDIU but have not filed for neither an increase or new claims due to afraid that TDIU being taken from me, a single dad with a Son who needs medical care at the norm. I did see your comment on PTSD, now i don't have anything by way of employment effected, all i have is a VA psych who diagnosed ptsd,insomnia,tbi etc... i wonder if i could fall under this ptsd total occupation impairment.

I have my voc rehab indication unable to do gainful employment and my psych as well' both have written a letter supporting this.

your comments are appreciated.. thanx for posting ..