VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hyperlipidemia and high LDL

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

All,

Went to my Cardiologist today, after I got my lab results back from my recent VA clinic visit.  The doc from the VA and my Cardiologist have agreed to put me on Lipitor because of my high LDL.  My LDL number is 125 which was not terrible, but now they have lowered that number for people like me with heart disease.  Now they are looking at 70.  Never been there since they started testing me in the early 80's.

A little background;

I was diagnosed for hypertension and hyperlipidemia back in 2004 while on active duty.

I was service connected for hypertension at 0% controlled by medicine in 2008.

I was service connected for heart disease at 30% secondary to the above hypertension because of LVH in 2016.

My question to all of you is,

Because I am now taking medication for my high LDL and that it can be attributed to hyperlipidemia;

-is high LDL claimable?

-is high LD  rated seperate from either HBP and or heart disease?

-anyone service connected for high LDL or hyperlipidemia?, and or with other heart related issues.

Thanks for all the help,

Hamslice

6 answers to this question

High cholesterol is a laboratory finding, which is not a chronic disability for which VA disability benefits may be awarded; an underlying disease or injury is not identified.

The above is the VA line regards hyperlipidemia.

So, my question changes to "does anyone have a service connected disability that hyperlipidemia caused or contributed too?"

I may have answered my own question re, my service connected hypertension.

My thought was on the taking of medication.  The condition (labratory finding) has caused me to take a medication.

Probably a link there somewhere.

I'll keep digging,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
damn spelling

https://www.va.gov/vetapp15/Files3/1520269.txt

Claim for hyperlipidemia was denied, but claim for coronary artery disease caused by hyperlipidemia was granted.

So, there are somethings that are attributed to it.

I do like the VA's rationale in that hyperlipidemia is a "lab test" and not a disability.

Well appearently I am taking medicine for a lab test that was cause by my service.  Makes perfect VA sense!!!

Hamslice

Hyperlipidemdia is a symptom but can cause ,if untreated, numerous cholesterol problems that can lead to HBP, Heart disease, and even stroke.

I just got my Blood work done to include all the cholesterol readings and it came back "Perfect" in my doctor's words.....

I forgot to ask for the Triglyceride value.It was 84 last year and that is fabulous but I watch what I eat and get plenty of exercise.

My dead husband's VA blood work had showed TRYGLY values at well over 200 and that coupled with his HDL LDL etc had check marks by a doctor on them but VA never treated what they revealed.

They were part of my evidence for his untreated DMII and IHD from AO. I dont recall if they were part of my FTCA case because I didnt have the internet then (1995) as good as it is now to research his medical records..

When high Triglyceride values couple with other cholesterol values that are abnormal, and they go untreated ( and this can involve diet as well) they set the stage for BIG problems.

Every veteran should try to go over their blood work from time to time to see if anything is noted as High or Low-

then google the internet to see if anything indicates they should be getting treatment for something the VA has overlooked.

Va saves lives every single day but just about once a week or more I get email regarding another VA death that has been reported in the press, that is either a suicide of a veteran or a death the family is taking action on against the VA.

The big malpractice report on VA in the news some time ago (which I gave the reporter some tips on)which I think the Secretary mentioned recently on line somewhere, shows a staggering amount of FTCA cash paid out due to VA malpractice.

I wrote to the Secretary where he can find the FTCA payments that have no paper trail ( for Congress or the Public but I know where those stats are to be found.)And I told the President, that kind of money could have been spent on the Wall,(or even infrastructure)and  not for the pain and unnecessary suffering of vets and their survivors due to VA medical incompetence.

VA is like the automakers in the movie "Fight Club".  In the movie, the lead actor explained that automakers, when there is a death in one of their cars, weigh whether it would be cheaper to pay the settlement cost to the family, or to recall the car(s) for safety defects.  

In a similar way, 

It turns out its usually cheaper for VA to settle with famalies, than to actually fix VA and give good service.  Our only remedy is to sue VA whenever they do malpractice, and if enough did that, it would force VA to fix some of their problems.