VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Missy1974

Question

I am 0% for Chronic Sinusitis and 0% for Allergic Rhinitis. For years I have had issues with Bronchitis and Bronchial Pneumonia. A VA physician stated that I was 'misdiagnosed' while on Active Duty.  He said that I have Asthma due to Allergies in 2014.  Since being treated for asthma my condition has improved. I am now doing immunotherapy (weekly allergy shots).  I filed Asthma as a secondary to the Allergic Rhinitis and the VA denied the claim.  I am also taking Allegra, Flonase, Singular, and Asthmanex. How can I prove to the VA that my Asthma is related to the allergies?  Also, the VA refuses to perform CT of my sinuses for a higher rating.

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hello Missy,
As far as requesting increase for sinusitis and allergic rhinitis, are you 0% service connected (SC) or 0% non-service connected (NSC) for each condition? That makes a big difference. If you are 0% SC, feel free to file claims for increase or secondary conditions. If you are 0% NSC, then you would need to go back to the start and deal with the Caluza triangle:

For obtaining initial SC:
1. Injury/event in service
2. Current diagnosis
3. Doc connecting the first two.

For secondary SC, simply replace #1 (above) with an SC condition.

For an increased rating, you just need medical documentation within the past 12 months which shows you qualify for a higher rating %.

When the VA denied your asthma claim, they were supposed to have included reasons and bases for the denial. If you can post the denial text, minus any private info, we can try to help make sense of it and inform you what we would have done under the same circumstances.

I assume you VA primary care doc refused the CAT scan. If you can get them to refer you to the ENT clinic, they might be able to order one. Otherwise, if you have not had one in ages, one might be requested from the C&P clinic, but you would need to file a claim for increase.

Missy,

If you can afford or have private insurance, you can get a better diagnosis from a civilian doctor, and they would probably do the scan.

The VA uses my civilian records alot when it comes to my claims.

Getting VA healthcare to do anything for your VA disability is like trying to nail jello to a wall.

Just a thought,

Hamslice

Hello,

I am 0% for both sinusitis and allergic rhinitis. They will not order CT Scans. I don't have private insurance.

I will request an increase for both. I am unable to locate the service connected paperwork at this time.  I will continue looking for the paperwork and post when I find. 

I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions.