VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Atrophy and Gait due to knee surgery

Rate this question

JFizzle

Question

Hello good people of hadit.... 

I have never claimed muscle weakness as one of my ailments from the military..........I had left knee surgery back in 2003 while in service for patellar tendon ACL repair. Since this surgery, my left quad has been weak (atrophy) and measureably smaller than my right quad. I have walked differently (gait) since that time with a now natural limp because of the quad not fully restoring. I have suffered from achilles tendonitis, back pains, plantar fasciitus, flat(ter) feet (unclaimed pre-existingly mild condition upon entry but can be considered severe), and various ankle pains and discomfort and also went to numerous physical therapy session for each. My question is

1)what can I claim as it deals with atrophy to the left quad

2)what will I need for my claim as evidence... can I use physical therapy notes that highlight the atrophy and gait

3)if I claim flat feet and it was a pre-existing condition and the doctor and physical therapist said it was worse than mild, should I claim it?

Thanks for your feed back in advance

2 answers to this question

Hamslice,

Thank you for your advice. I am currently 10% for my left knee (residuals, left knee injury, postoperative), 10% for meniscus tear (left knee meniscal tear with anterior cruciate ligament tear), and 10% for Right leg/foot Tendonitis (right ankle sprain, with Achilles tendonitis and bursitis). 

I have an ortho appointment with a new doctor and I would like to gain his current diagnosis and medical opinion as well. 

Do you have any suggestions on obtaining the necessary opinion from a doctor for a Va claim?

Thanks,

JFIZZLE