VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DFAS adjusted pay -v- VA retro pay?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Got a veteran who just won  P&T IU and a NOD. Expected retro is around 70K.

Her rep told her she would receive both a DFAS adjusted pay, and VA retro pay, but told her little else.

What's the difference between the two? Which one is paid first, and is there a certain day(s) of the month the two are paid?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Simplified, from my experience: Retired service-members get paid on the 1st of the month through DFAS. Veterans with disabilities get paid at the same time through the VA. Retired veteran service-members get both at the same time via DFAS. The VA transfers internally to DFAS. Retired veteran service members with disabilities have to wait a bit longer because an audit is conducted at both departments. This typically takes 30-60 days depending on the veteran's effective date.

EODCMC, thanks. There is also a "3 signature" process that happens if the veteran is due more than 25k retro, so I'm told.

Something that nobody seems to be able to answer is where do these 3 signatures come from?

So audits happen at the VA and DFAS, and that's 2 of the 3 of these signatures I wrote about?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

Perhaps, but I think not. The signatures are probably VA money threshold requirements in addition to the audits.