VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Morphine

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think pure morphine will hurt you but some of the additives to other pain meds like tylenol can hurt your liver. Possibly the combinations of drugs may hurt the liver. Pure nacotics are the least dangerous drugs compared to any of drugs like that you buy over the counter.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take Morphine Sulfate CR (time release) 30 mg in morning, 15mg at lunch, and 30mg at bedtime. I have DJD in Lumbar and upper spine with several bulging discs in both places, Ankylosing Spondylitis, and Osteo-arthritis. I was taking Oxycodone 5 mg twice a day or as needed before my Primary Care Doc switched me to the Morphine for some reason. As far as I can tell, the Morphine does absolutely nothing, no pain relief and no side effects except constipation. My Primary Care did keep giving me 30 of the Oxycodone each month along with the Morphine and the ONLY way I get relief is to take an Oxycodone...it also has 325 mg acetamine, and maybe this is the reason she wanted to switch me. But something is gotta give, I see my Primary Care in a couple weeks and I've gotta have some relief. The Morphine does absolutely nothing and as far as any of the side effects that have been mentioned, I don't get drowsy and it doesn't seem to affect me at all.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jesse

I take pretty much the same drugs you take. I did ask for the oxycodone without acetaminophen. For a while they tried methodone on me. Maybe you are not taking enough of the morphine because it is stronger than the oxycodone. I get the most relief from the oxycodone as well but the combo of morphine and oxy gives me the best relief.

You know the reason you get morphine is because it is cheap and so is the oxycodone. They won't give me vicodin for some reason. The morphine does turn your BM into concrete. The side effects of morphine are not that great. However, if I stop taking it after a few days I notice my back hurts when I wake up in the morning. I then take 3-4 oxycondone 5mg and the pain goes away for about 5 hours. Their should be some way to be able to take something once day and not have be constantly taking narcotics morning, noon and night. I take the stuff about 3-4 times a day. I usually have to take clonoazepam at night or I can't sleep or relax. So I am dependent on these drugs. All the nerver blocks and other therapies did not work and it comes down to just narcotics to make life bearable. I think the doctors should be making better pain killers and just admit that dependence and tolerance are part of life for chronic pain patients. The VA is better about this than private pain clinics in my experience. Historically, narcotics and their use has been considered a failure in treatment of chronic pain I think. If you go inside the VA pain clinic as an in-patient the first thing they do is take you off the narcotics.

Is it a "drug addiction", to chronically seek pain relief, using medicine as it's recomended? In my opinion, thats pure BS that some like to demean us with.

A body that cannot get relief from pain is a miserable mess. You end up half out of your mind from sleep deprivation & depression.

Almost anyone with," chronic pain", needs a pain relieving "Opium" based medication to relieve the pain. "All" of them have side effects.

Those with "mild" pain problems are able to sleep through a night without anything maybe.

Speaking for myself, I haven't found being half out of my mind, drooling on a pillow all day from taking morphine, much of an improvement either. At the end of the day, I still felt like life wasn't worth living.

Taking 2700Mg pr day of Gabapentin, along with the 12hr Morphine, Zoloft & Trazadone, almost killed me.

Although an effective end to pain, it's a side effect, I decided I can't live with, no matter what they tell me.

Methadone is another one I didn't care for.

I had a RN assigned as my PC a few yrs back. She prescribed herbal vitamins, a 12hr Oxycodone 20mg for neuralgia & Oxycodone 5 mg for breakthrough pain. That was this best relief I've had with the least side effects so far.

After stating in my records, "I" REFUSED to take 12 hr pain medications in my medical records, "they" refused to prescribe anything for pain but Oxycodone 5 mg for 2 or 3 yrs now. They can make you miserable if they want.

I see remarks in my records that say, "patient is pleased with medications"............ CURRANT Pain level (7). So they toss in a few more medications like, Lorazapam, Buspirone, Benidryl, Baclofen & jack up the dose of Paxil.

Some of my issues like arthritis, diabetes symptoms, high cholesterol & lipids, HB, dypsnea, GERD, EBS, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, TBI, PTSD, or illness & disease from exposures to bio-hazzards are completely ignored, treated enough to cover their azz's or they just say theres nothing that can be done even if you could prove it.

It's my guess, this will remain as, "QUALITY" expedited health care, at a great cost saving to the tax payers by this administration, for some time to come.

Allan