VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mild Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

ArcticWarrior907

Question

Good morning Forum,

I am sure this has been answered before but now as I am getting closer to Retirement (currently at 19yrs)alot of confusion is coming up.

I recently was diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea after completing a sleep study.  The civilian doctor will discuss treatment with me on my ne,the appointment, which also includes the use of a breathing assistance device. Should I ask him for a CPAP machine and do I also need to see my primary care provider to get the results,findings and treatment put in my medical records? 

I would appreciate any feedback.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Are you still on military active duty?

As to the Cpap, you don't have to ask for it, wasn't a Cpap used during your Sleep Study? Your Sleep Dr will make the call based on the results of the Study. What was your SA DX, OSA, CSA or mixed SA?

Whos's your PCP, Army, VMC or private? The SA DX absolutely needs to be put into all your current Med Recs. Who paid for the Sleep Study?

Semper Fi

Yes to all. However, I retired after 30 years. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea while on active duty but declined the CPAP at that time. 14 years after retirement the problem was worse and I applied for compensation. . The VA C&P doctor said it was a "no brainer" and easily service connected the affliction and I receive 50% for it. If you do this immediately following retirement (within one year), you probably won't have to do a C&P exam. The CPAP actually works and provides me a better night sleep, without snoring noise. I took to it right away. Many other symptoms were diminished or went away.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I am still on active duty and currently station in Alaska.  My PCS is Army and it was a home sleep study that was conducted by Fairbanks Memorial Hospital off post after the referral from my PCP,so Tricare will pay for the study. I have not seen the actual results yet,my appointment with the dr. off post is not until next week..however,I did not use a CPAP mask for the study..so no oxygen results.my episodes were at 14.3 though.

According to the Dr. at my C&P exam, as long as you have a diagnosis (DX) of sleep apnea, however slight, it's enough. I suppose another Dr. could opine differently, but I haven't seen that happen. Because you are applying within the the 1 year threshold after retirement, your continued affliction and nexus are established. Science hasn't found a cure yet, it just gets worse. Get a CPAP and use it.

I'll have to look back at the SA Ratings. As I recall you can have a 0%, 10% 20% 30% for mild SA which does not have a DX requiring CPAP or Bipap. The DX requiring the Cpap gets an automatic 50% SC regardless if you use it or not.

The relatively new VA "At Home Sleep Study" obviously isn't sufficient for a Comprehensive SA DX. Your Sleep P02's are extremely important, anything below 90% is of importance and could require the use of "Supplemental 02 while on CPAP or BipapFailure."  If your P02's are in low to mid 90's, don't worry about it.       Semper Fi  

How hard and how quick do they usually approve sleep apnea if you are on a cpap.my husband has had one for about 7 yrs,  but he has never put in for it.   I have another question.  What does fdc mean?