VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Treysnonna

Rate this question

treysnonna

Question

What do you need to file for I U?  My husband is already at 80.  He does have two appeals (on same claim).  One foe increase in diabetes and one for cod sec to diabetes.  The dr did make a statement that he does not think hubby is able to work.  Would they automatically pick it up on doc opinion, even if he did not file for it?  Or do we put in another claim for it?  I have also been trying to get him to file for sleep apnea.  He has been on cpap for about 7 yrs now. And if he filed now would it hold the appeal up then?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Filing New Claims doesn't hold up your Appeal. At 80, waiting is not an option.

What are his current SC Disabilities and (%)? DM II, what else?  Currently, could change but age is not considered in IU Claims. He needs 1 SC at 60% or 1 @ 40 with a couple that adds up to 70% CSC. With that Rating Letter, an "Inferred IU Claim" would be stated. However, it would still be necessary for him to file the actual IU Claim.

He's 80, file the IU Claim as an FDC NOW on his E-Ben New Claims site.

Is he a Nam Vet, 80 DM II and no Coronary issues?

Semper Fi

No let me correct here.  His age is 72.  He is a Vietnam vet boots on ground.   He is currently rated at 80%.

20% for diabetes 2 sc

10% for neropathy left lower extremity sc

10% for neuropathy right lower extremity sc

10% for ocular histoplasmosis sc

10% for hearing lost sc

60% for ischemic heart disease

he has an appeal in for increase in diabetes, and for stage 3 renal failure.

they denied both on claim.     He has and stil is on fast acting insulin and slow.  He has episodes of of low sugar, but usually handle it here at home.  I think he has been to er on time with it.    they denied the renal failure because there was no proteinuria in his little urine sample. I looked up another for someone else where they had approved his.  And I looked up a pub med article which says that sometimes you do not produce the protein is all the time in the early stages of renal failure.  By the the way I  believe that particular artical was found using veterans with the va.  Of course he also has retnapathy too.  I'm not sure if he filed for that,  but I do remember reading it on some of his claims where they did ackownoledge it.   So maybe I will get that from his retinopathy dr.   And file it and it together on ebenefits.  What do you think?  Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by treysnonna
Add more

Absolutely, CAD can be a Nexus for SA. Glad to hear he's 72, you still need to file the IU and SA FDC on his E-Ben site ASAP. Start it today to establish the File Date, you've got 12 months to hit the Submit Button.

Any non-VMC SA Med Recs need to be scanned and attached to the FDC before you hit the Submit Button.

Semper Fi

Ok, but he had the sleep apnea before they diagnosed  him with cad.  Although I suspect he'd had cad long before he was diagnosed.  He had his aortic valve replaced in aug of 13.  He'd had aortic stenosis with it.    That is when the found cad.  But I'm not sure if I want to associate it with the heart because they may say the valve caused it.  Then it would not be sc.  now he has had the diabetes since 98.   Maybe I'll try that one.    His kidney dr said he suspects the diabetes caused the valve problem and kidney problem.  Thanks for your suggestions.

When was the SA DX'd? Is the DX OSA, CSA or MSA?

Semper Fi