VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI/PTSD info-these are 2 separate disabilities

Rate this question

Berta

Question

https://www.hadit.com/category/veterans-compensation-benefits-articles/

and more info here on that in this forum

PTSD- mental health issue due to emotional  trauma

TBI-physical brain injury due to physical trauma

One cannot get a TBI from having PTSD.

If a vet has a TBI however, the situation that caused it could certainly also cause PTSD.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

And here is a little regarding the scandal some years ago about TBI/PTSD  and how vets were getting screwed by VA.

102 more posts but I dont have time to read them.I probably posted many of them. 

or VA 

Thanks for the info I've been mad since the day they did this. At my new C&P I said my TBI was a MVA and was a car defect i deployed 3 years after my TBI and coma. And my Adjustment disorder began before my TBI. So he said I'll fix this I maybe can't differentiate between what's  the occupational and social damage and figuring out what caused what more but they each do have their own symptoms and little at least 4 for each of the 3 disabilities. He did say that my PTSD is secondary to my AD and could have exacerbated it but that's still a MH issue and will  be just one rating anyways. My heads doing circles guessing what the rater will do I don't know if it's been assigned a rater yet. I have not done enough research but if each disability has each own symptoms but you can't distinguish which is more damaging to your occupational more how will they be rated? I reallly don't want to have to do another appeal   ...

17 hours ago, Berta said:

https://www.hadit.com/category/veterans-compensation-benefits-articles/

and more info here on that in this forum

PTSD- mental health issue due to emotional  trauma

TBI-physical brain injury due to physical trauma

One cannot get a TBI from having PTSD.

If a vet has a TBI however, the situation that caused it could certainly also cause PTSD.

Is this considered as being a MH or physical disability "residuals of traumatic brain injury with cognitive disorder, short term memory losses/lapses, difficulty sleeping, problem solving with PTSD (to include cerebral contusion with diffuse axonal injury to bilateral frontal and temporal lobes"? This addition didn't come until 6 years later after SC for my TBI. This Berta is why I was so mad, before they put in the "with PTSD" it was just "issues with problem solving" and still kept me at 70%.So really I have no idea what's going to happen with what the rater even after the doctor separated the issues my heads still in circle from what they did when he put the two together...

Edited by jfrei

-------------------------------------------------------------------------“ So really I have no idea what's going to happen with what the rater even after the doctor separated the issues my heads still in circle from what they did when he put the two together...

I don’t know either. I think sometimes the raters  use a Ouija board.

The fact that there are so  many awards from the BVA or BVA remands that produce awards at the R0sif the remand is followed properly ,is in my opinion, probative evidence that the R0s need a complete overhaul.

Every initial decision I ever got was wrong and every one ended up as  an award because I fought back.

My husband’s initial SC was fast, one of his stressors was verified by a shrink who had been incountry treating Marines from a horrible volunteer job they had to do.Vietnam.The shrink was also the head of this VAMC and his claim was filed the same day.1983. He thought they would arrest him,because he tried to choke an Oriental VA employee .He went to VA for a business loan and came out with PTSD diagnosis.

His rating took about 2-3 months. His next letter was a proposed reduction. They dropped that idea as soon as they read the NOD I prepared.

That was 1988. When I read their “Reasons and Bases” that  was my first realization that the VA employed idiots.AMVETS  repped him. They said the NOD was very tough.You bet it was.Most of my evidence was their own regulations. The best weapon of all.

1 hour ago, Berta said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------“ So really I have no idea what's going to happen with what the rater even after the doctor separated the issues my heads still in circle from what they did when he put the two together...

I don’t know either. I think sometimes the raters  use a Ouija board.

The fact that there are so  many awards from the BVA or BVA remands that produce awards at the R0sif the remand is followed properly ,is in my opinion, probative evidence that the R0s need a complete overhaul.

Every initial decision I ever got was wrong and every one ended up as  an award because I fought back.

My husband’s initial SC was fast, one of his stressors was verified by a shrink who had been incountry treating Marines from a horrible volunteer job they had to do.Vietnam.The shrink was also the head of this VAMC and his claim was filed the same day.1983. He thought they would arrest him,because he tried to choke an Oriental VA employee .He went to VA for a business loan and came out with PTSD diagnosis.

His rating took about 2-3 months. His next letter was a proposed reduction. They dropped that idea as soon as they read the NOD I prepared.

That was 1988. When I read their “Reasons and Bases” that  was my first realization that the VA employed idiots.AMVETS  repped him. They said the NOD was very tough.You bet it was.Most of my evidence was their own regulations. The best weapon of all.

lol how about my SOC for my appeal being reversed into my favor I'm still in shock i filed a NOD and literally no shit two weeks reversed. I laughed when the reason for denial was my sTBI wasn't permanent and total, it happened over a decade ago. Show me the magic elixir please Doc. But like I said they changed their mind producing the SOC lol this is why we denied you wait wtf I think we mess up again George the "rater". Sorry kinda went on a rant

Edited by jfrei