VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Vocational Rehab Counselor Access to PHI

Rate this question

Missy1974

Question

Are VA Vocational Rehabilitation counselors granted access to a veterans medical records or compensation and pension exam information?  I went to a VA Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in order to apply for Voc Rehab benefits. Would like to further my education.  My Vocational Rehab Counselor and her supervisor stated that education is not feasible for me based on things that were listed in my C&P exam and by my civilian psychologist 2 years ago. (I have Major Depression & PTSD due to MST.)  I honestly feel that my Vocational Rehab Counselor and her boss invaded my privacy. They are not health care professionals. I am in a much better place than I was two years ago. Are they allowed to view my medical records or C&P exam without my permission?

• HadIt.com Elder

I was on TDIU P& T using the extra schedule 90% & filed a PTSD Claim 70% and that  put me up for the SMC-S and they made the IU moot. I have a final degree of 100% scheduler from 180% rating educational benefit Allowance came with it..but I am 65 and not really needing anymore education  but you bet I would use these benefits if I was younger.

I don't blame any veteran for wanting to work and  get a higher education  especially the younger veterans..being on TDIU at a young age sucks.

but sometimes depending on the veteran situation  it maybe all the income he/she can get   and if this is the case the the veteran is blessed   until a This  New  Administration is proposing  to change it.???

Mis, I did some eyeballing, appears that any Federal Agency that pays you Comp or Pension Benefits has the Legal Right to view your Med records (VA or Private) without a signed authorization.

The information can only be used for determining your VR Approval or Denial. 

Don't drag your feet, as I recall, you only have 60 days to file the NOD.

Semper Fi

" My Vocational Rehab Counselor and her supervisor stated that education is not feasible for me based on things that were listed in my C&P exam and by my civilian psychologist 2 years ago. (I have Major Depression & PTSD due to MST.)  I honestly feel that my Vocational Rehab Counselor and her boss invaded my privacy. They are not health care professionals. I am in a much better place than I was two years ago. Are they allowed to view my medical records or C&P exam without my permission?"

Yes, as Gastone said.

If VA VOC REHAB documents that they feel your SCs ( SCs only) make Voc Rehab unfeasible , that is prime facie evidence for a TDIU or 100% SC award. The TDIU form ,21-8940- is here somewhere.

I commend you for wanting to continue your education. You might be eligible for Pell Grants and other types of financial aid , that do not depend on the VA.

L

@Berta Thanks for the response. I appreciate the excellent information from everyone.   I have a C&P tomorrow related to Chronic Sinusitis and Allergic Rhinitis (both currently Rated at 0%).  The VA Allergist stated that I have Asthma due to Allergies.  I am being treated for asthma (Singular, Flonase, Asthmanex, Sinus Rinses.)  I also receive antibiotics (otic and oral) for my Sinus issues.