VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet Reps

Rate this question

DD_Carter

Question

Do any of you use a vet rep like DAV in North Carolina. I am currently using the DAV in Winston Salem but they have misled me on more than one occasion. AmVets are the ones that helped me with my initial claim and I really liked them but I had to switch do to proximity to their office. If you are using a rep in the Eastern North Carolina area, can you please let me know some contact info and if they have been really good at helping. Thanks in advance. I am also considering a 3rd party source that can help. I am willing to pay if they can get me to the 100% mark. Heck the one I looked at yesterday it would only take one month at 100% to recoup my money. 

Thanks Tbird, I will check it out.

DD-   Is the third party source a registered agent ?

Meaning they have been recognized by the VA as able to handle claims?

Or, with the 90% now, do you mean you are considering obtaining an IMO/IME doctor?

They would have to follow the IMO/IME criteria here.

There are a few outfits around on the net for VA claims help but personally I think you should stay with the DAV. And certainly stay here at hadit for advise.

Reason I mention the 3rd party entity- a good Vietnam vet friend of mine paid (years ago) a former vet rep and some other guy , money to help with his claims, up front, and they didnt do shit for him.

He didnt tell me this until many years later and remained at 40% for a GSW. Long story-something happened at a VAMC and I got him 100% P & T. I have never taken a dime from a veteran so watch who you deal with. ( one vet long ago sent my daughter flowers-she helped him and his buddies get not only proper ratings ,but they also got more awards and the one who got the DFC ( Distinquished Flying Cross sent her the flowers. He didnt realize she was living in DC area working for DOD. And another vet here sent me 2 frozen steaks dinners. Because he got 100% too with my help. They did not owe me or my daughter anything.

I sent my daughter a photo of the beautiful floral arrangement. And I did eat the steaks.Long ago when I first came to hadit...

BTW, the DFC vet asked me if I could come to the medal presentation ceremony....but then he emailed me that the awards his unit buddies and he got from my daughter's help made it difficult to even want the ceremony and he asked his Congressman to cancel it. He sent me a Photo of the DFC and the award. Vietnam vets like my husband, when they finally learned of decorations and awards they got but didnt know of for decades, have a hard time dealing with all that. Within hours of getting his DD 215 and the box of awards from DOD, my husband turned into someone else...

.........an eighteen year old kid who went to Hell and back....never the same again

Rod Simmons 1st MARDIV 65-66  Vietnam  He rests in Peace. 

There is much discussion on here on VSO's.  VSO's are paid by contributions and by VA.   Keep this in mind  If you had a dispute with your neighbor, and his attorney offers his services for free, should you use him?    VSO's are DAV, VFW, and several other organizations.  

VSO's get "free rent" at VA facilities.  The VA's relationship with VSO's is, well, "too cozy for comfort."  

Of course, VA "rationalizes" this cozy relationship by saying that the VA is a "non adversarial claimant friendly system".   If you believe that one, then you probably beleived cigarette companies testimony to congress that "cigarette smoking is not addictive".  

I think its okay to use a VSO if you remember who pays them.  A VSO is in the category of "you get what you pay for", and their services are free to vets.  If you needed an operation would you let someone cut on you that is untrained so they can "learn the trade"?  I think I would rather pay an experienced doctor than to get somone else do it for free.  

There are 3 options here:

1.  Represent yourself.  This means you need to do some serious learning or you wont get a good result. 

2.  Get a so called "free" VSO, which is really a representative paid by your adversary.  

3.  Hire a representatve of your choice.  There are both attorney and non attorney practionioners.  

I have been represented by all 3 of these.  I started with a VSO, which is what va recommends.  When that failed, I went on my own.  Im getting older now, and I have an attorney.  So far, I rank 1 and 3 as tied.  I have gotten most of my benefits myself, but I really am "out of my league" when I go to the CAVC.  

You can try it like I did, but the best way is just hire a professional and get it done right the first time.  I wish I would have done that.  

Edited by broncovet

Yesterday I read here on the forums about an individual that had used Valor 4 Vets. I just started looking at their site and they seem to be a decent company. Although everyone here is far more experienced than I am at this, I will always take advise from you. My biggest issue is not being able find what it is the VA is looking for in my records. If i can get my NSC's changed to SC that alone (according to several different calculators) is enough to get me to 100%. 

I also think its wrong how they do the ratings on back conditions. Range of motion is not the only aspect of a back injury that can cause inability to perform duties. According to my doctor I will never be able to lift more than 40lbs again in my life, but my range of motion is decent. Hell I cant even pick up a bag of dog food while at the store. I have to make my wife do it, or ask a stranger to do it. Its very embarrassing to be a 31 year old man having to ask others for help because the Military ruined my ability to perform even the most simplistic of task's. This is prime example of something that I have no idea of how to fight. 

I know I dont want to stay with DAV. At this point I feel like everyone here will be far more helpful as far as submitting claims and what I should and should not do. 

@broncovet I agree with, I have been fairly lucky with my claims but I still feel as if somethings have been less than fair. That is why I am continuing to fight them. My wife thinks I should leave it alone and settle with my 90%. I on the other hand feel that I am owed so much more. My philosophy is that they broke me so they bought me. And its not so much the money its the health coverage for my family and I. Its the benefits of getting to go on base and shop at the PX and Commissary, here in my county you also get a huge discount on property tax.