VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam scheduled for my husband FINALLY!!!

Rate this question

ErinNick

Question

After sending in an intent to file in Sept 2015 and formally filing in September of 2016, my husband has been scheduled for his C&P exam later this month!  Any pointers or advice from you seasoned C&Pers?  We are hoping to get disability of at least 70% the first go around (in my opinion and in knowing him for 10+ years, I believe that he possesses most of the traits for those with PTSD at 70%).

He will need a PTSD diagnosis from a VA MH professional.

If he does not fall under the new 2010 PTSD regs, available here under search, he will need proof of his stressor (s)

unless he has the PH, CIB, or/and a CAR on his DD 214.

The diagnosis from the VA at this C & P exam is critical.They will not accept a diagnosis from an outside shrink ,even if it is from Sigmund Freud.

2 hours ago, Berta said:

He will need a PTSD diagnosis from a VA MH professional.

If he does not fall under the new 2010 PTSD regs, available here under search, he will need proof of his stressor (s)

unless he has the PH, CIB, or/and a CAR on his DD 214.

The diagnosis from the VA at this C & P exam is critical.They will not accept a diagnosis from an outside shrink ,even if it is from Sigmund Freud.

Oh, yes, he has a diagnosis of PTSD from the Waco VA clinic where he spent 5 days after an attempted suicide.  All his medical records are already in with the claim.  

Are you saying he will most definitely receive some percentage of disability if a diagnosis came from the VA?

No-not at all...I am saying that the PTSD diagnosis must come from a  MH Professional who will do the C & P exam.

If he was not incountry Iraq/Afghanistan,he will need to prove his stressor (s) We have info here on what is and isn't a stressor.

I got involved with someone from my church last week, because they heard me tell a member I have 34 years of PTSD experience.(The church member is DS/OEF Intell- Lt Colonel Ret)They had a call from a relative who has a friend -a vet,  who has PTSD and they think he is suicidal.

I gave them considerable contact info because it was clear to me this was not an eminent danger situation, and was in another state.Yet someone had to get him to the VA.

After 34 years experience, I do not know if the guy is a vet, and if so, if he has PTSD diagnosis, and if so, if his PTSD is from his service.Neither the friend of the vet nor the veteran himself has joined us here yet.

Your husband sure  might want to think about his stressors and what he told VA when he applied, before the C & P exam is due.

I dont doubt what you have told us.....but there is much more to getting a PTSD SC award.

There is much info here on stressors. available under a search.

Best to list first the one that is easiest to verify and they will run it through JSRRC. Give as many details as possible because JSRRC has a 3 month window they search....dates and place are critical....he needs to do his best on that .....And how his MOS put him into the stressor situation.

If he needs buddy statements there is info at hadit on that too.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Ms berta

sometimes if a veteran is in a combat zone and does not have a Infantry MOS   ...say he has a clerk MOS (Desk Jockey) ok depending on his unit  but sometimes a soldier is put where he is needed the most in a combat zone and has a Temporary MOS  and its not change officially.. then when this happens the veterans needs to say in his lay statment that his MOS was a  Temporary change and give what actually MOS he used in a combat zone, the location and dates and his unit name and statements from buddy's  if he can get within 10/20 days of the dates and locations and has morning reports or orders to full fill his duty station  the VA will use this.

Not to be morbid here  but

my point is maybe he was traumatized by fear of loseing his life at any moment or witness a death up close or seen dead body's or had to load them in body bags ect,,ect,,,  anything that would cause him to be victimized by  trauma event  he can use as his stressor.

jmo

We went back and forth with the VA over his stressor.  They could not even find where he was ever deployed, so we had to obtain buddy statements.  One of his SGTs at the time had an old manifest with his orders to Afghanistan, luckily, so as soon as we were able to prove he was overseas, they wanted clarification on his stressor.  He always told me that he didn't really have a stressor and that just being in hostile territory worrying about dying daily should be enough, but it wasn't.. he finally broke down and said that it was related to the treatment of prisoners (he was MP) and attempted sexual assault from men in his unit.  Once he wrote out the new statement, we finally received a date for his C&P exam!  Took a lot to get where he currently is, so he's wanting to do everything right to not get denied.  He's threatened suicide twice, the first of which caused his separation from the army.  He's gone through multiple employment positions due to his illness.  Anything we can do to better improve his odds of receiving any compensation, we are all ears!!  Thanks!