VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam scheduled for my husband FINALLY!!!

Rate this question

ErinNick

Question

After sending in an intent to file in Sept 2015 and formally filing in September of 2016, my husband has been scheduled for his C&P exam later this month!  Any pointers or advice from you seasoned C&Pers?  We are hoping to get disability of at least 70% the first go around (in my opinion and in knowing him for 10+ years, I believe that he possesses most of the traits for those with PTSD at 70%).

5 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Ok, he is lucky to have you advocating for him. MST is a serious thing.

Hey Mike!  Thanks!  Sometimes I feel he could care less to go through this process because it stirs up memories he'd rather keep buried.  I've known this man for 10+ years, and the first time he actually opened up about his time overseas was a month or so ago.  It's obviously pretty painful for him, so I don't pressure him to spill any more than he had to.  One thing.. what is MST?

MST Military Sexual Trauma

We have a whole forum here on MST.

As an incountry OIF/OEF vet he should not have too much trouble getting a comp award, based on what you posted here.

And of course whatever evidence he has.

"He's threatened suicide twice, the first of which caused his separation from the army.  He's gone through multiple employment positions due to his illness. "

Does he have copy of his SMRS and 201 file? That will be critical for his claim, in my opinion.

SMRs Service medical Records

201 ( inservice personnel file)

What type of discharge did he get and what diagnosis  did the Army give him?

He is not alone, There are plenty of service men as well as women  who suffered from MST. Some of them are members here. It is a terrible thing to live with.

32 minutes ago, Berta said:

MST Military Sexual Trauma

We have a whole forum here on MST.

As an incountry OIF/OEF vet he should not have too much trouble getting a comp award, based on what you posted here.

And of course whatever evidence he has.

"He's threatened suicide twice, the first of which caused his separation from the army.  He's gone through multiple employment positions due to his illness. "

Does he have copy of his SMRS and 201 file? That will be critical for his claim, in my opinion.

SMRs Service medical Records

201 ( inservice personnel file)

What type of discharge did he get and what diagnosis  did the Army give him?

He is not alone, There are plenty of service men as well as women  who suffered from MST. Some of them are members here. It is a terrible thing to live with.

Everything you are telling me makes me feel better and better about his case.  The VA most definitely has all medical records from 2003 and from his most recent stay at the Va hospital in 2013 as well as his 201.  He was honorably discharged in 2003 after putting a gun to his head while on guard and diagnosed with Adjustment Disorder and Personality Disorder.  Why he didn't seek help then is beyond me.. I didn't know him just yet.  After threatening suicide once more in 2013 after a fight about finances with me, he ended up in the VA hospital for 5 days which is where the PTSD diagnosis came in.  Now, here we are on this ride!  

It will all depend on the C & P MH diagnosis.

And even if the diagnosis is PTSD, we Never know what the VA will do at that point...it all depends on evidence.

I hope you realize that many of us here are hard core claimants, who had years of denials that, through perseverance, and more evidence, eventually  turned into awards.

The Personality Disorder diagnosis is  never a good thing, thanks for sharing that......Did he claim both adjustment disorder and PTSD?

After the 5 day suicide attempt hospitalization ,has he accumulated treatment records from the VA and/ or a private doctor? I am sure VA wanted to do follow up care for him.

If they do deny him we can help prepare the NOD.

I had stated:

"As an incountry OIF/OEF vet he should not have too much trouble getting a comp award, based on what you posted here."  That too depends on how the C & P exam goes.

The PD diagnosis I just read here bothers me...this is why it is helpful when we are able to read denials here from the VA. But with a VA MH diagnosis, of PTSD that will change everything (hopefully)

"I was talking with him last night, and he's pretty sure he has a Combat Action Badge, although he can't remember. He has been in hostile territory and received danger pay while there. According to the Wiki page for the CAB, he would qualify.

I wish he'd be more proactive about trying to find this information out. I know he's "sick", but he just doesn't seem to care about all of this. Maybe I'm chasing a losing battle...'' 2015

I just read over your posts here in 2015...mentioning a buddy.

Does he have a buddy who served in his unit with him in Afghanistan?

His "close proximity" to enemy fire might be the key here to a successful PTSD claim. And he might well need the morning reports or a detailed statement from a unit buddy.The buddy should use a 21-4138 form that contains an oath or get his signature notarized and give VA his contact info.

His DD214 should show receipt of the CAB.If not there is a way to check that out.It takes time however ( DD 149 )

Unfortunately I have met vets who told me a descriptive rendition of their service yet refused to file a claim or follow through with a claim.Most of them I met at the local VAMC, where there was a Vet rep office but they would not go in to make an appointment. That really does not happen too often.

I thought the most recent suicide attempt was over finances. Your past posts indicated it was over something else.Maybe I read that too fast.but he will need to keep his VA info accurate.They look for discrepancies , in order to deny.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think men and women that are attacked are not likely to come forward due to the memories, feelings of shame, guilt, anger, so often they need a caring person to pick up the torch for them.