VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU questions

Rate this question

Rocket1949

Question

Hi All,

I just recently received a rating increase for PTSD from 50% to 70%. This was part of a NOD that I had filed in May of 2016. I also received a Statement of Case regarding that same NOD. In the SOC they denied my claim for TDIU. I have enclosed the letter that gives the reasoning behind their decision. From what I can gather the letter denies TDIU and goes on to explain their reasoning . No new evidence ,and failure to send in VA Form 21-8940 . I also need to mention that I had gone thru a Vocational Rehab evaluation earlier this year. That evaluation determined that I wouldn't be offered any schooling or training due to my service connected disabilities and that I would be put in the ILP program. I have tried to get my VR records thru a FOIA request made earlier this year. That has proven to be unsuccessful and I almost feel as if Im being stonewalled. 

Im assuming that my VR records would be viewed by my rater when making a decision on TDIU. I wanted my VR records to verify what I had been told by my VR evaluator .My VR evaluator was an Independent Contractor hired by the VA to do an assessment on what services VR would offer me. As stated previously the the contractor deemed that I wasn't eligible for any training or educational services. They also stated that this was because of my service connected disabilities . They did recommend me for the ILP program and that program determined that there were no services that they could offer at this time.

Im in the process of filling out the VA Form 21-8940 and would like to hear any suggestions in how to properly  proceed .

One question that comes to mind is the way the letter is written. It states a denial for TDIU in the beginning and latter mentions the form 21-8940 as being the reasons for denial. Seems like TDIU was denied outright and later the mention of the 21-8940 was a formality .

Your thoughts please.

CC  Berta,Gastone,Buck52

Thank You

Scanned Image.tif

Did you NOD requesting a DRO Review, with your N & Material Evidence attached?

5/2016 NOD DRO (?) review Award Decision in 12 months is PDQ, I'd have to say. Job well done on your part.

I was unable to access your scanned image.tif, any chance you could attach it as a pdf?

Semper Fi

They will not consider TDIU without the form filled out.

"VR evaluator was an Independent Contractor hired by the VA to do an assessment on what services VR would offer me. As stated previously the the contractor deemed that I wasn't eligible for any training or educational services. They also stated that this was because of my service connected disabilities . They did recommend me for the ILP program and that program determined that there were no services that they could offer at this time."

That is critical evidence. VOC Rehab stuff does not always get into claims files.

FOIA wont help. Can you contact the actual VR contractor? Or send an IRIS to Voc Rehab? or the ILS people?

I dont have time to search for them but the www.va.gov main web site might have the info you need.

All my husband had was a  handwritten note on VA Voc Rehab letterhead that came here in 1992.

He was pissed and almost threw it into the woodstove. It became highkly significant for almost all of my claims after he died, and for his 100% P & T SC posthumous award. They never mentioned his 1993 TDIU form at all. VA cannot award TDIU to a dead veteran.

I think maybe I didnt make my other post clear.

They Will consider you for TDIU when they get the form (21-8940)

Are you accepting the HBP denial as well?

If Berta did not make this clear (I think she did), make no mistake:

NO 21-8940  = No TDIU.   

Some time back the VA allowed us to apply without a 21-8940, as long as we had all the applicable evidence, but that has been changed.  They came out with a memo a few years ago that stated that any IU claim absent the filled in 8940 would be denied.  

The Regs are clear:  It does not matter how much we deserve benefits, if we dont give them the applicable forms/evidence they need, it WILL be denied.  Filling the required form is mandantory.  

My suggestion is to file a nod, and submit the completed 21-8940

Edited by broncovet

Berta one of my main concerns is that my VR records haven't been seen by the rater.  Berta what is an IRIS ?  Sorry but what is HBP denial?

Gastone I have 60 days from the date of the letter to submit my form 21-8940  and any other evidence that's useful.   I'm working on that now.  The VR records is a big concern for me. I had an e mail address that I used to communicate with the contractor that initially rated me. It's no longer active. I've made repeated requests for my VR records but the answers they give me don't add up. I think they are ignoring me intentionally.

Berta I do have a hand written note from the contractor that did the initial evaluation. The note was an assignment to explore issues that would be helpful in the ILP program. This is what she gave me after discussing with me her evaluation that I would not be able to do any training or education opportunities thru VR . But I would be recommend for the ILP program.

im rambling here, overthinking it maybe. I'm fishing for any information that could be useful. I overlooked the Form  21-8190 , I don't want to overlook anything else.

Thanks everyone for being part of this discussion.