VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans "gaming" the system for PTSD claims?

Rate this question

Jimmer

Question

Hi Everyone, I wanted to share with you a article that I read on military.com in which a Bruce (whatever his last name is) testified to a group on how the veterans are "gaming" the system, and getting PTSD claims approved.  First of all, I would like to meet this guy face-to-face and tell him what an idiot he is. (I would like to do more, but restraint  would be necessary).  First of all a V.A. doctor has to determine that you have PTSD, not someone from the outside.  Does this clown think the V.A. doctors are willing to "look the other way" on claims?  Quite the opposite.  Then you have to have a "stressor", that ties the PTSD with an military event related to the PTSD.  It took me four years to get PTSD disability, and the V.A. went thru everything with a fine tooth comb.  Lucky, I c-file confirmed my "stressor", and I had been going to the V.A. mental health facilities, meeting with various doctors, sessions, etc.  I still see them three times a month, and take five different  medications.  This guy, Bruce, based his information on veterans talking to one other about applying, saying it was easy, blah, blah, blah.  I don't know of any vet that has received disability compensation for PTSD, that had an easy road, and I have talked to a lot of them.   It is comments like this, that really anger, me, and gives the false impression, that vets are just "scamming" the system, and a way to give fuel to cut disability benefits.   I would love to here you comments, especially those of you getting PTSD disability benefits.  I am sure you did not have any easy road, the V.A. makes sure of that!

I joined in 1975 at the age of 17 Never knowing how dangerous it was in "My Navy," I loved so much.  2 years later an ATT Rape /ATT Murder in a Navy barracks taught me how close I came to dying. Even as a Female.... @Andyman73 - I was not offered help of any kind, through the assailants Court martial, then the Murder trial-  I had to testify at when he killed the next victim. The Navy - Physically put me on the plane- when I was subpoenaed for the  Murder Trial because I refused to go, since I was a key witness for the Prosecution. 

I have completed 2 years in Individual therapy/ 2 in group - I say go to anything that is offered......"I wish I was gaming the system...."

then this would all be a dream... instead of a nightmare.... 

Respectfully,

@L

I'm so sorry. What does ATT mean?

I do wonder if things have progressed to the point now, of offering help for MST survivors...well...the females anyway. So far I've been offered nothing...just like when they caught me attempting suicide at my desk in my work space. That's how little we mattered to them...

1 hour ago, Andyman73 said:

MST survivors...well...the females anyway. So far I've been offered nothing...just like when they caught me attempting suicide at my desk in my work space. That's how little we mattered.

I feel you Andyman73

As a male MST survivor, it seems a good majority of folks want to hand us (men) the rope to hang ourselves with..."you're a guy so suck it up" the old "boys will be boys" mentality playing it's wicked role in all of this. I'm just saying that the notion that women are the only victims should be changed as well as society's dismissal of crimes involving rape for anyone.

• HadIt.com Elder

Andyman

If you are not offered help from the VA  then Request the help you need, if your in treatment stay in treatment  this is the help you need right now.

It takes a lot of time  years to be honest with you to recover or have a sense of more well being after a trauma event (especially MST) and some veterans never get over it or completely well,  its fight everyday.

Your focus needs to be in getting well or feeling better and learn to deal with different situations, this VA Claims process will give the most sane person PTSD

Just do what you can with your claim report or submit any and all evidence you can get and any thing that will help you with your claim  but I would suggest to stay in treatments  that is the best thing you can do at this point.

Hang in there buddy

On 6/28/2017 at 7:18 AM, awgv001 said:

I feel you Andyman73

As a male MST survivor, it seems a good majority of folks want to hand us (men) the rope to hang ourselves with..."you're a guy so suck it up" the old "boys will be boys" mentality playing it's wicked role in all of this. I'm just saying that the notion that women are the only victims should be changed as well as society's dismissal of crimes involving rape for anyone.

Funny you mentioned that. My therapist told me he has more male patients than female. And in his 30plus years of work, over all, 55% of his clients have been male MST survivors. And average time since it happened, to time of coming forward is about 17 years...for me...only 23 years. Society is one of the bigger reasons that sex crimes against men is so much harder on the men than women. Grown male survivors of childhood abuse are treated so much better because society does recognize abuse of boys...just not men.

@Buck52, there really isn't much for me at the VA...because if I say anything about before my service, they can and most likely would drop kick me out, fast and hard, and claim pre-existing and or personality disorder...which we all know pretty much screws a Vet but good.