VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans "gaming" the system for PTSD claims?

Rate this question

Jimmer

Question

Hi Everyone, I wanted to share with you a article that I read on military.com in which a Bruce (whatever his last name is) testified to a group on how the veterans are "gaming" the system, and getting PTSD claims approved.  First of all, I would like to meet this guy face-to-face and tell him what an idiot he is. (I would like to do more, but restraint  would be necessary).  First of all a V.A. doctor has to determine that you have PTSD, not someone from the outside.  Does this clown think the V.A. doctors are willing to "look the other way" on claims?  Quite the opposite.  Then you have to have a "stressor", that ties the PTSD with an military event related to the PTSD.  It took me four years to get PTSD disability, and the V.A. went thru everything with a fine tooth comb.  Lucky, I c-file confirmed my "stressor", and I had been going to the V.A. mental health facilities, meeting with various doctors, sessions, etc.  I still see them three times a month, and take five different  medications.  This guy, Bruce, based his information on veterans talking to one other about applying, saying it was easy, blah, blah, blah.  I don't know of any vet that has received disability compensation for PTSD, that had an easy road, and I have talked to a lot of them.   It is comments like this, that really anger, me, and gives the false impression, that vets are just "scamming" the system, and a way to give fuel to cut disability benefits.   I would love to here you comments, especially those of you getting PTSD disability benefits.  I am sure you did not have any easy road, the V.A. makes sure of that!

@Andyman73 - I disagree there are plenty of options at the VA for MST/Survivors - Treatment all you have to do is ask.

I have asked for and completed all "9"/10 groups in the last 4 years - the only one I did not think was therapeutic for me was Equine....I am a city girl...

1. CPT Therapy

2. Exposure Therapy &   MRDR - specialized

3. Equine Therapy

4. Therapeutic Writing group - 2 phases 

5. Moral Injury Group

6. Peer Support Groups

7.One - One individual counseling 

8. Chaplain Services - Individual - Groups

9. Yoga at the VA for Veterans

10. Insomnia program

Respectfully

Edited by L
addendum of wisdom....

On 6/29/2017 at 7:43 AM, Buck52 said:

Broncovet

I believe  Clemons vs Shinseki is referring to a miss diagnose or a wrong diagnose that would other wise give the veteran a lower rating and it would change things for the veteran

On 6/12/2017 at 1:14 PM, Jimmer said:

Hi Everyone, I wanted to share with you a article that I read on military.com in which a Bruce (whatever his last name is) testified to a group on how the veterans are "gaming" the system, and getting PTSD claims approved.  First of all, I would like to meet this guy face-to-face and tell him what an idiot he is. (I would like to do more, but restraint  would be necessary).  First of all a V.A. doctor has to determine that you have PTSD, not someone from the outside.  Does this clown think the V.A. doctors are willing to "look the other way" on claims?  Quite the opposite.  Then you have to have a "stressor", that ties the PTSD with an military event related to the PTSD.  It took me four years to get PTSD disability, and the V.A. went thru everything with a fine tooth comb.  Lucky, I c-file confirmed my "stressor", and I had been going to the V.A. mental health facilities, meeting with various doctors, sessions, etc.  I still see them three times a month, and take five different  medications.  This guy, Bruce, based his information on veterans talking to one other about applying, saying it was easy, blah, blah, blah.  I don't know of any vet that has received disability compensation for PTSD, that had an easy road, and I have talked to a lot of them.   It is comments like this, that really anger, me, and gives the false impression, that vets are just "scamming" the system, and a way to give fuel to cut disability benefits.   I would love to here you comments, especially those of you getting PTSD disability benefits.  I am sure you did not have any easy road, the V.A. makes sure of that!

There is also a VA report that claims once a veteran received their PTSD rating they stopped using mental health services and likewise abused the medical services side.  Hummm, were they not allowed to ask their clinics how they operate? Because my PTSD clinic discharge letter is in my file. I'm 100% for PTSD and have not had treatment options for over five years now. I have my medical doctor and my psychiatrist. No counseling. Hum maybe these veterans have been abandoned, you think. 

• HadIt.com Elder
On 6/29/2017 at 8:16 AM, Andyman73 said:

@Buck52, there really isn't much for me at the VA...because if I say anything about before my service, they can and most likely would drop kick me out, fast and hard, and claim pre-existing and or personality disorder...which we all know pretty much screws a Vet but good.

Andyman

this does not stop the fact you were traumatized while in the military and MST is just that.

This would be something to mention in support of claim.

if you were a victim  of prior abuse or pre existing P.D.  

& you were cleared for military duty.

Pre-existing condition from childhood should not factor in to this MST CLAIM you can elaborate some on your childhood but you were able to over come it before military(prove it with medical documentation)(this happens a lot)

The thing you need is help with treatment now.

and in your MST Claim that happen while in the military gather up all medical records or SMR's that show this MST was documented..police reports, military morning reports from your unit, the location where the event occurred,  ect,,ect,,, even use buddy statements.  Dr's that treated you? if not then they will just have to go on your word and how you describe the MST  Event.

This can be a case as to where you were afraid to come  forward and never reported this especially being a Marine..(this happens a lot too) the VA is suppose to take this in consideration also.  & (there is no time limits to report  MST) 1 Year ago or 5 years ago or 30 years ago   no time limit.

If not then write out a good lay statment '' in support of claim'' in detail form of the  MST Event, you basically need to say this (if you were abused as a child?)  you recovered fully from that with treatment and show the medical records  ect,,ect,,, and years later you joined the marines to full fill your duty as a citizen of the Good old USA and you proudly served.

I wish I could help you better  but I am just not that familiar  with MST Claims

@L @Buck52

First off...you both are awesome, thank you for standing with me even when I could barely stand for myself. 

The problem I have with treatment options is the fact that so much happened before the Marines. I wasn't effected because all of the memories were suppressed.

I'm too afraid of screwing myself by talking about that stuff. 

We all know how the VA. Especially with mental health issues. 

There are no reports. There is no one. When they didn't file any kind of report for catching me in the act of cutting my wrists....there is then nothing to show for it.

Now on Monday I will be meeting with someone from an outside treatment provider to be assessed on my level of need, for everything else that I've been through. 

I've already been advised by several in that industry that I may well need to be hospitalized. That prospect is not exactly enhancing my over all mood. 

Will keep you posted, Buck and L.

Andy

I have found these comments usually originate from a person who would not be able to complete the gauntlet the V.A. throws down for you before a decision is made.  Hearing them talk like that is a stressor in itself and I have handled it in the past that usually puts the subject to rest.