VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans "gaming" the system for PTSD claims?

Rate this question

Jimmer

Question

Hi Everyone, I wanted to share with you a article that I read on military.com in which a Bruce (whatever his last name is) testified to a group on how the veterans are "gaming" the system, and getting PTSD claims approved.  First of all, I would like to meet this guy face-to-face and tell him what an idiot he is. (I would like to do more, but restraint  would be necessary).  First of all a V.A. doctor has to determine that you have PTSD, not someone from the outside.  Does this clown think the V.A. doctors are willing to "look the other way" on claims?  Quite the opposite.  Then you have to have a "stressor", that ties the PTSD with an military event related to the PTSD.  It took me four years to get PTSD disability, and the V.A. went thru everything with a fine tooth comb.  Lucky, I c-file confirmed my "stressor", and I had been going to the V.A. mental health facilities, meeting with various doctors, sessions, etc.  I still see them three times a month, and take five different  medications.  This guy, Bruce, based his information on veterans talking to one other about applying, saying it was easy, blah, blah, blah.  I don't know of any vet that has received disability compensation for PTSD, that had an easy road, and I have talked to a lot of them.   It is comments like this, that really anger, me, and gives the false impression, that vets are just "scamming" the system, and a way to give fuel to cut disability benefits.   I would love to here you comments, especially those of you getting PTSD disability benefits.  I am sure you did not have any easy road, the V.A. makes sure of that!

On 5/29/2018 at 10:49 AM, 1cavarty69 said:

I have found these comments usually originate from a person who would not be able to complete the gauntlet the V.A. throws down for you before a decision is made.  Hearing them talk like that is a stressor in itself and I have handled it in the past that usually puts the subject to rest.

True. I've been seeing attacks on vets with PTSD coming from retired vets too.

It was ten years before the VA declared me PTSD.  Previously they had called me hypochondriac, somatoform, psychotic, OCD, and borderline personality disorder.  Like the man said it is the VA that declares you PTSD and they make it tough. 

You are not alone. I've been a few groups over the last 20+ years and it has been my experience that when folks go around the room talk about their experience by the time to get to me I really feel that I've got nothing compared to them I sit there horrified and ashamed of my trauma because everyone seems to have had it so much worse. This is not necessarily true but that is how you feel - you deserve the help that is available the Vet Center was a real God send for me. If you don't want to apply for compensation you don't have to but do get the help, I'm actually having a nice little life now with the help of therapy and family love something that I thought would never be possible.

Wouldn't that last statement get you a pretty low rating ? I feel the same way myself, tried groups while an in-patient alcohol rehab in the military 2X, tried a couple of of others too, won't do any more. Always gets to "my war was bigger than yours", and it probably was. I just know that God has blessed me and kept me on this earth for a reason, still not sure what that is though.

Many of us with PTSD actually have physical brain damage trauma combined with mental trauma. I know I had a stroke in service from the bartonellosis/Malaria/and much more likely than not, Agent Orange. The physical damage from Agent Orange alone causes mental trauma, but those two permanently paired together can and does often kill you. Being manipulated and lied to by those that hide the evidence should be accountable because that broken heart and lies is what causes suicides. I survived this manipulation, but I am one of the fortunate ones.

The VA knows exactly what I am talking about, and I hope they hear me as they read this. I believed my records were lost because the Army said they were. I believe a lot of those in powerful positions that I know now never belonged in that position with that authority, and they need to be fired, and looking at my case over the last forty seven (47) years needs to cause a multitude of firings. Not just over my case, but thousands of others. 

Do not let them manipulate you, because the supervisors will do just that. I recommend attorneys over any VSO or Agent because they do not work for you. The fill out papers and make suggestions.  If anyone is gaming the system, look the VSOs and examiners directly in the eyes and you will see many liars, paid to deceive you! A disgusting practice and manipulation, and it’s sickening.

• HadIt.com Elder

Some times  for a Veteran that can't get his/her records  especially str or unit records, can use his/her lay statment ..to describe the event that happen, with accurate dates and locations of the event within a 10 day period, in other words if a veteran had a traumatized event say combat or fear for his life on a certain day  in Vietnam  then if he has no records to prove this  then they will take his lay statment into concederation if the statment matches up with the event /dates   they have a way to check on most all events/operations that happen in a conflict .

just tell your story in detail as much as you can and try to get the dates and locations close as possible during the event/operation while in a combat zone. ect,,ect,,

example, you might remember the operation name or what you were order to do and what the day was the  time/date the location,your C.O. Name or NCO in charge   they can look up these events and if you got it all correct/or close to what happen   then that's just as good as a record of the event. that happen as you mention it did.

I remember one of my traumatized operations date/day   it just happen to be Christmas Day.

4 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Some times  for a Veteran that can't get his/her records  especially str or unit records, can use his/her lay statment ..to describe the event that happen, with accurate dates and locations of the event within a 10 day period, in other words if a veteran had a traumatized event say combat or fear for his life on a certain day  in Vietnam  then if he has no records to prove this  then they will take his lay statment into concederation if the statment matches up with the event /dates   they have a way to check on most all events/operations that happen in a conflict .

just tell your story in detail as much as you can and try to get the dates and locations close as possible during the event/operation while in a combat zone. ect,,ect,,

example, you might remember the operation name or what you were order to do and what the day was the  time/date the location,your C.O. Name or NCO in charge   they can look up these events and if you got it all correct/or close to what happen   then that's just as good as a record of the event. that happen as you mention it did.

I remember one of my traumatized operations date/day   it just happen to be Christmas Day.

Buck.

they have the records, they know where they are, and they won’t release them without force. They withheld them under false pretense in June 1971 in anticipation of litigation because of the unexplainable skin disease. Only litigation in a trial court will bring proper results now. I don’t want the BVA even present now. They have the exact dates, locations, and know everything they need or want to know, now they are just monitoring my habits and assessing collateral damage.

Ebenefits requires you to allow them into your home, your internet devices, and Ebenefits opens your personal guarded private goings on to them. Using Ebenefits is the worse mistake you can make, but the most convenient to stay updated. The trade off is your income and personal information is collected and the VA (although it’s not suppose to) still makes you release your income, and that determines your disability ratings. 

It took me 5 or 6 years to level off and able to hold a regular job. The Army never allowed the “OVER 120 DAYS TO RECOVER”, and never allowed a PEBLO or anyone for legal assistance, no advance notice there was to be this second board 800 to a thousand miles away,  and it’s also a courtmarshall board too and they let me know it. I had nothing to review, nothing to see what they were suggesting, and I was still ill from malaria or something. 

Everything has been denied for 45 years out of 47, but since Blue Water Navy vets are getting compensated, and Air Force vets if they worked on a C123 that was used in Vietnam, even 15 years after the war, so now that they denied all medical care and all C & P of any kind making everything worse, I receive partial disability because I was hospitalized a month boots on ground in country, and never recovered. The skin disease is now cancerous at various places. I have it all the time. 

The VA doesn’t need records because they know. The administrators need to go, fired, pension left on the table, unless they work in the cafeteria until retirement. 

0279FD08-3730-40F2-A23B-6479318D4544.jpeg