VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans "gaming" the system for PTSD claims?

Rate this question

Jimmer

Question

Hi Everyone, I wanted to share with you a article that I read on military.com in which a Bruce (whatever his last name is) testified to a group on how the veterans are "gaming" the system, and getting PTSD claims approved.  First of all, I would like to meet this guy face-to-face and tell him what an idiot he is. (I would like to do more, but restraint  would be necessary).  First of all a V.A. doctor has to determine that you have PTSD, not someone from the outside.  Does this clown think the V.A. doctors are willing to "look the other way" on claims?  Quite the opposite.  Then you have to have a "stressor", that ties the PTSD with an military event related to the PTSD.  It took me four years to get PTSD disability, and the V.A. went thru everything with a fine tooth comb.  Lucky, I c-file confirmed my "stressor", and I had been going to the V.A. mental health facilities, meeting with various doctors, sessions, etc.  I still see them three times a month, and take five different  medications.  This guy, Bruce, based his information on veterans talking to one other about applying, saying it was easy, blah, blah, blah.  I don't know of any vet that has received disability compensation for PTSD, that had an easy road, and I have talked to a lot of them.   It is comments like this, that really anger, me, and gives the false impression, that vets are just "scamming" the system, and a way to give fuel to cut disability benefits.   I would love to here you comments, especially those of you getting PTSD disability benefits.  I am sure you did not have any easy road, the V.A. makes sure of that!

Buck.

I have set up the doctor appointment already, and will talk to him with the medical records in front of him, what I have including military. That’s in a couple weeks.

Also I have called the White House hotline and they generated a case number, and someone will be in contact within 21 days. I hope to hear good news, but with them falling under the Deliberative Process Privilege, it may take some litigation, but I hope it does NOT go to litigation, or I will have to go for malpractice, from what I read. 

My claims are not as cut and dry like most claims because they never determined the cause of the conditions, but knew it wasn’t an allergy to Chloroquine, but that was the only way out for them. They pushed me out and on to someone else to worry about. 

I have the information you put down and wish this would resolve everything, but I can only hope. I’ll do this Buck and ask him to do these things. It will just have to wait now. Hopefully soon, it will resolved. Thanks for everything.

victor ray

• HadIt.com Elder

ok sounds good victor, you might ask ths Dr to opine on the cause,  he/she don't necessary have to say what the cause was just his pro opinion it was related likely as not  to A.O.

Got it Buck.

as many of so called exams I had, you would think they would examine me. Their main concern was, “did you drive your self here?” I said “yes, I am not completely helpless, yet.” I will be sure on the wording too as they are politically correct that “indicates” and “appears to be” have nothing in common. Like James said,  when the right person listens things happens. I got 10 times more advice yesterday than I ever got at one of the medical board proceedings. One was like a surprise party. Open the door and hues what, it’s a board to see if we keep you or get rid of you. It wasn’t funny though. Thank you

victor ray

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I certainly understand, you should call into the radio show more often as often as you like and ask any VA Related questions, some times in the near future when they have Alex on  that would be a great time to call in, Alex knows the CFR's very well  and the # as to where most of us as to look them up he just know them in his head  and I am glad for Veterans the Alex Helps

Its weird that years ago you Could/Should have had a DRO Hearing at your local Regional Office And face them face to face  Actually a Good decent DRO IS FOR THE VETERAN AND WILL GO ALL OUT TO HELP HIM GET HIS CLAIM OR CLAIMS SETTLED THEN AND THERE. 

and you would have got most of this settled, maybe you did and was denied at the DRO Level?...maybe the reason your at BVA?

I think the hadit show is a great place to get advise and information.   when you do call in tot he show always have you a pen/pencil paper ready to take notes or get email address and phone #'s its just handy.

I had asked for a face to face DRO AND AFTER 2 years, the DRO called me and ask if I would settle for a review of my records review because she could get to it much faster, a couple months as opposed to a year or so. I was a fool and agreed, and found out just how corrupt they all are, especially in St. Louis. It has to be the most corrupt of all. They have the records, the VSOs, and most all of them are corrupt, imo. St. Louis isn’t unique though. Most of the VAROs seem to trash the truth, the records, or hide them, and not one department can communicate with another without a form from the FOIA Office. I had to get a form filled out so that my mental health doctor could call my claims assistant on the phone and it had to be signed, ok’d and given to the doctor. That took a day and involved about 4 people. 

The 310 day wait for the DRO was about 800 days when she called, and I didn’t think they were scamming me AGAIN. Surely this time they would be honest, but absolutely not. Liars, all of them. Today they called and I asked about my claims being expedited because I can’t see that the board expediting the claims made one day difference. She said the reason is that you have to ask the VA also to expedite it due to terminal illness, homelessness or 80+ years old! Even after the BVA agrees that they will do it. WTF? No one actually knows what they are doing, it seems, especially the VSOs. I said wait, DAV just expedited a vet in his 30s that was denied PTSD ONCE already, but DAV in St. Louis got his records for him, got his knee pain awarded as “pain in motion”, and I know he wasn’t homeless and not even 40 yrs old. To top that off, DAV hired him, and he now sits beside his VSO, that got his service connection awarded with his retropay and it wasn’t a week. 

The Army lied about my records or I would have been retired in 1971. They were withholding my records even then, and again in 83, then from Feb. 2012 to present. That DRO came across as nice, and i’m Pretty sure I got the hospitalization records from Vietnam to her before their decision, but still got “IU” denied and the rest. This last time I didn’t get a reason for Amyloidosis being denied. All it says is “ Service Connection for Al Amyloidosis is denied”, and that’s it. Not another word. I had swallowing problems, swollen ankles and legs, bone pain in the legs, abdominal pain, diarrhea, weight loss, extreme fatigue, blood in urine, kidney pain, numbness, dizziness when I stood up, bruising easy, gastrointestinal problems and on and on, but they used the “ Chloroquine Rule” as the reason for all of this to avoid that dirty word “Al Amyloidosis “. 

They were “contemplating litigation” before I left Vietnam, and that’s created this mess. The deceit to keep it hidden, and lies to cover it up and out of public scrutiny cost me a lot. Everything, and my offspring too. I still can’t believe it’s been 100% deceit for my whole adult life. The lady asked if I was “Black Ops”, and I said no, but I had a top secret clearance and CIA was everywhere around me. I think I was part of an experiment. It is all way to crazy, too unexplainable, too hush hush, my conditions too ignored, the DA3349 with P-3 profile too ignored, the second medical board too quick, too secret, too aggressive, no PEBLO or any assistance, no records, no advance notice, no medical records, nothing. This should probably be a big story, but I never wanted any publicity, but am on the verge of wanting it, just to get some attention to speed this up a bit. Well, i’ll See what they do, and how honest they treat me now.

Next time I call in I will be better prepared, and on a good phone. It’s usually great, but I could hear echo and feed back from their end. Oh, here’s the DAV expediting a vets claim article. I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve it, just saying DAV plays the favorites game because i’m Much older I guess. Ok, many Thanks Buck. 

75E55DCC-5E12-4C84-9A46-C03D75C6DDCD.jpeg

A9236DC5-3EFA-4665-8E96-14C15C4BA46A.jpeg

• HadIt.com Elder

Victor

Can you list some of your claims that you have filed on and been denied? can you list the reasons and bases as to why they denied you include the dates ,but cover up your name and claim #

A Redacted copy if you have it  just black out all personal info

if your at 90% now and  YOU  can't work and YOU have not worked since you filed for IU (back in 1983?)

Can you remember what your rating was when you first filed for the IU? form 21-8940

Also can you list  your condition's that you are rated for that combined to the 90%  (if there are several or way to many to list that's ok , we can just say you have a 90%combined rating.

Also are you getting SSDI? NOT THE RETIREMENT BUT THE DISABILITY/? I realize your over 63 and can get the early retirement at age 63 but if you could not work during all these in-between years then you probably don't have the work credits/but disability it don't matter. retirement it does.  if your are getting SSDI that will help increase the chance on getting the IU hopefully you have been getting the SSDI?

OR

I was thinking if you filed for IU Back in 1983 and you were at least 60% then and could not work due to your S.C. Disabilitys and they denied you IU  back then  that should be CUE.

you did fill out this form correct?,,,>https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21-8940-are.pdf

As of Jan 2016 changes were made...Veterans must fill out & sign this form 21-8940    a POA or third party can not  The Veteran himself must file this form but if it was in 1983  your ok as long as you have record that you filed for the IU.

IF YOU HAVE THESE RECORDS AND SOC...AND YOU WERE DENIED WE NEED THERE REASON FOR THE DENIAL..IF THEY NEVER GAVE YOU A REASON OR SOC THEN THIS IS CUE ALSO.

If you can come up with these records  then you need to get an attorney to help you file this has CUE  YOU MAY want to PM Alex...CUE's are pretty hard to win  but like I said if you have these records as evidence  then its cut and dry.

IF YOU WIN YOU SHOULD GET BACK  RETRO PAY FROM WHEN YOU FIRST FILED THE IU...NOW THEY WILL MAKE ADJUSTMENTS ON WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN PAID   FROM YOUR 90%  SO IF YOU BEEN GETTING 90% SINCE YOU FIRST FILED FOR THE IU THEN IT WILL ONLY BE A THE DIFFERENCE FROM THE 90%TO THE 100%   WHICH IS NOT SMALL CHANGE. IT SHOULD BE A UNSUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT...BUT NOT THE FULL 100% 

Edited by Buck52