VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans "gaming" the system for PTSD claims?

Rate this question

Jimmer

Question

Hi Everyone, I wanted to share with you a article that I read on military.com in which a Bruce (whatever his last name is) testified to a group on how the veterans are "gaming" the system, and getting PTSD claims approved.  First of all, I would like to meet this guy face-to-face and tell him what an idiot he is. (I would like to do more, but restraint  would be necessary).  First of all a V.A. doctor has to determine that you have PTSD, not someone from the outside.  Does this clown think the V.A. doctors are willing to "look the other way" on claims?  Quite the opposite.  Then you have to have a "stressor", that ties the PTSD with an military event related to the PTSD.  It took me four years to get PTSD disability, and the V.A. went thru everything with a fine tooth comb.  Lucky, I c-file confirmed my "stressor", and I had been going to the V.A. mental health facilities, meeting with various doctors, sessions, etc.  I still see them three times a month, and take five different  medications.  This guy, Bruce, based his information on veterans talking to one other about applying, saying it was easy, blah, blah, blah.  I don't know of any vet that has received disability compensation for PTSD, that had an easy road, and I have talked to a lot of them.   It is comments like this, that really anger, me, and gives the false impression, that vets are just "scamming" the system, and a way to give fuel to cut disability benefits.   I would love to here you comments, especially those of you getting PTSD disability benefits.  I am sure you did not have any easy road, the V.A. makes sure of that!

PTSD wannabees are few and far between.

We are seasoned claimants here and we know right away when we get a PTSD impostor posting.

VA knows too- the problem is it often takes them too long to check out stressor info and also they do get deliberately altered DD214s....wit citations and medals the veteran never got.

I NEVER listen to negative crap.

If I did I would be in the crapper by now myself. And my husband's service connected death would have NO HONOR.

1151/ death by VA FTCA has no honor at all.....

I am member of Mil.com and missed that.....will check it out.

Was it Bruce SCheiner? can you give us the hyper link to his post

• Founder

I would say his "proof" lacks credibility. 

Excerpt

""After four years, he was given a 70-percent disability rating for PTSD and was immediately advised by administrators and other veterans to push for 100 percent to boost his check, O'Byrne said.

Now, I don't know if they saw something that I didn't but, in my eyes, I was not 100 percent disabled and told them that," O'Byrne said. But they continued to press him to go for a higher rating. His arguments for a lower rating went nowhere, he said.

In VA group counseling sessions, "I realized the sad truth about a portion of the veterans there -- they were scammers, seeking a higher rating without a real trauma. This was proven when I overheard one vet say to another that he had to 'pay the bills' and how he 'was hoping this in-patient was enough for a 100-percent rating.' I vowed never to participate in group counseling through the VA again," O'Byrne said."

• HadIt.com Elder

Out of all my S.C. Disability's  I wish PTSD was not one of them, b/c it flat sucks to have it.

There was a Navy Seal that did this too  there were something on him a month or two three ago I think?

I try not to let this  kind of thing bother me...what can we do about it?  if some veteran scams the VA   ...in my opinion  its the VA responsibility to make sure all records and documents are authentic & official.... 

I have to many other things to be worrying about.