VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trump and TDIU for Vets on SSDI or SSA

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I just heard on the news that Trump proposes to cut benefits for TDIU vets who are also getting SSA.   This is the guy who said he was going to take care of vets?

On 6/13/2017 at 4:25 PM, john999 said:

I just heard on the news that Trump proposes to cut benefits for TDIU vets who are also getting SSA.   This is the guy who said he was going to take care of vets?

I think the whole proposal to cut TDIU benefits to those receiving social security has been shelved, and is not going to happen. Apparently there was such an uproar that Shulkin reportedly is going to remove that proposal from the budget.

• HadIt.com Elder

Man, I am really glad they came to their senses.  You know I got a disability pension from USPS after 20 years and my pension was offset by significant amount because I also got SSDI.  I paid into both these programs for years.  If I had not gotten IU as well I would have been sucking canal water.  My pension with SSDI only provided about $2000 a month.  An adult just cannot live on that these days especially if you have also disabled.  The VSO's finally did something worthwhile by causing a stink.  I am life member of DAV and VFW and they have done little  to help me except maybe this act.

John

Just turned 65 and my SSI is only$250./month, yes two hundred fifty dollars. I got my TDIU less than two years ago, after having not worked at all for over a decade.  I am at the 5yr point on my VA Appeal and still waiting... Take away my TDIU and I'll end up homeless.  I had spent down my life savings due to my unemployability and years and years of losing job after job after job over the past +40yr.

I know that trying to get rid of TDIU has come up several times in the past and always been rejected.  However, I also thought that some azzhole like Trump could never become President.  Geez...and look at what has happened with THAT?! 

9 minutes ago, HorizontalMike said:

Just turned 65 and my SSI is only$250./month, yes two hundred fifty dollars. I got my TDIU less than two years ago, after having not worked at all for over a decade.  I am at the 5yr point on my VA Appeal and still waiting... Take away my TDIU and I'll end up homeless.  I had spent down my life savings due to my unemployability and years and years of losing job after job after job over the past +40yr.

I know that trying to get rid of TDIU has come up several times in the past and always been rejected.  However, I also thought that some azzhole like Trump could never become President.  Geez...and look at what has happened with THAT?! 

You are the perfect (not the best choice of words) example of why taking away being paid at 100% for IU veterans is so incredibly dangerous and can put so many veterans in deep crisis.  So many people don't realize that there are veterans in your situation.  Even veterans who receive SSDI aren't living lavishly, they would have loved to have worked, saved for retirement and lived much better high quality lives.  To take from any of them in retirement years is horrifying and criminal in my opinion. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I think IU vets can stop worrying, After VA Secretary comments on this and what he was informed about, The only thing he is HE is calling how the IU is funded is wrong so that in its self is still questionable.