VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU- Food for thought

Rate this question

FormerMember

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Identity Thief

Talk about someone getting your SS#...Someone had got mine about 9 years ago, and its hell getting it straighten out, luckly for me I reported it in time so no damage was done.

I found out about it from the IRS

when I knew about it I got a letter from IRS holding the the first time buyers credit for buying a house And would be delayed...I called IRS about it   they said apparently someone used my SS#  And I needed to go to the Dallas Federal Building and bring all my Identification and spouse and marriage certificates .birth certificates Military ID the whole 9 yards of ID's, TAX records  ect,,,ect,,,When entering the Federal building you go through the X-ray machine and empty pockets and put on a conveyor belt just like out at the airports,& (like 6 armed guards) you take a #   and sit waiting until they call your name  and an IRS Agent takes you into a little office and talk with an IRS person (clerk), I had to do this every 3 months for the next 3 freaking years, until they caught the person that had stole my SS#...I was issued a PIN # by the IRS  for and to use  while this mess got straighten out 

I wrote and called my R.O. and let them know  they in turn contacted the IRS and I got a letter back from R.O. letting me know they have this information and to just do as the IRS suggest. 

Finally when they caught the person that stole my SS# (they would not tell me who it was)

I got a clearance From IRS Was Issued a PIN # FROM THE IRS and not to use my SS# and got my first time house buyers Credit...but so for even last year I had to use the PIN # for Identification to file my taxes.

which we file joint  b/c at that time my spouse was still working  I only had income of the VA & SSA, I never put my VA income on the tax statements  just that I am a disable Veteran and Receiving compensation.

IRS lady mention to us  it takes years to get Identification Thief straighten out   and I believe she was right Going on my 9th year)...I am still having to use this PIN # but I use my SS# at the VA and with a claims.

The IRS Lady did say the person that used my SS# will be doing prison time for a LONG time.

So be careful how you use your SS#  I have no Ideal how they got mine?  Internet maybe?  but I only use it via e benefits  and maybe Banking purposes

IRS will not tell you who use it.

I consider myself Lucky  I never lost any Banking $$ or Credit Cards...b/c I did report all this in time for the credit card company's to do what they needed to do.

Nor did this have any effect on my VA Comp.

Thank God.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Hamslice you maybe fall in that category of veterans that was LOW-BALLED with their ratings?

what we know now is hine sight 20/20 and didn't know back in the day

When you were given these ratings , you should have look at the rating criteria for your disabled SC Conditions...a lot of times the VA will low ball a veteran and not give him/her the ratings they truly deserve  .. most veterans they don't know this and is just happy they finally got rated.

If you had mention to the VA in your claims to give you the Highest Rating  the Law will allow according to the rating criteria for your S.C. Condition   maybe the rater would have been more precise  with his rating but if they did give you the correct rating  then not much you can do.  BUT you can always NOD. within the appeal time limit  one year after a decision was made.

I would suggest you check out all your Heart Issues and ask Dr's about it and if anything can be a secondary condition  due or related to your Heart Issues?  you maybe very surprised.

If your a Vietnam Veteran check out the A.O. Condition on Presumption of claims.  you could possibly have a heart condition that would warrant a 100% rating by its self  and get your 100% and SMC's

Maybe you have already thought about all this?  I'm just throwing it out there.

Administration officials are backing away from plans to slash tens of thousands of dollars in unemployment benefits from elderly veterans

At issue is a provision in President Donald Trump's $186.5 billion VA budget for fiscal 2018 that would dramatically change eligibility rules for the department's Individual Unemployability program.

Unemployment benefits are payments made by the state or other authorized bodies to unemployed people.

Individual Unemployability

Individual Unemployability is a part of VA's disability compensation program that allows VA to pay certain Veterans disability compensation at the 100% rate, even though VA has not rated their service-connected disabilities at the total level.

I read all the comments in this discussion. I think mixing the terms unemployment benefits and individual unemployability is the problem. I can't see them as interchangeable.

jmo

I’d like to ask a question here.  My hubby has an appeal in for increase in diabetes and for third stage kidney failure.  He is at 80 present now.  

20 present for diabetes 2

10 present for left lower neropathy

20 for right lower side10 present for histoplasmosis of the eye

60 present for ihd I think I listed all of them.  On the appeal the doc, our family doctor wrote in his imo, that he is not able to work, and he is not.  But my husband has too much pride and thinks it is some kind of hand out.  His dad was that way too.    But do they ever just look at the statement from the doctor and give the vet iu?  Or is there a way to get it added to the appeal if we call them.  It is before the judge right now.  Could we call the Vso and get him to put it in?  Or do we just wait and file another claim after this is taken care of.    Thanks for any info you can give me.

Treysnonna...

When you ask a question about your issue in someone else's post, we calling it "hijacking", and many people simply wont answer it.  (many wont even see it) Please,   Start a new topic, and ask your question there, and you will get more responses.  

Since you are kinda new, I will go ahead and answer just this once..next time its a new post of your own or no answer.  You see, everyone gets confused on which question you are answering.  

This said, I will try to answer.  

Probably not.  You have to apply for benefits to get them, no application, no benefits.  Sometimes there is an exception for an "inferred" issue, but dont hold your breath on that one.  

On this, you probably have no choice but to abide by your hubby's wishes...even tho you may not agree.  An exception may be if your husband has been, or can be declared mentally incompetent, and a power of attorney can be given to you.  I dont advise you go for the "incompetent" route unless there is a compelling reason, and he is seriously incompetent.  If unsure, you should consider him competent.  

I certainly dont want to say anything negative about another Vet...people have reasons for the things they do, and I have no idea what they are.  

You "MAY" find out that he is simply unaware of the consequences of this action.  I have found most men really want to please their wives, but dont really know how unless you tell him.  Most men are not clairvoyant, and can not read minds, and dont care to.  Generally I think men dont "get" hints...they want you to come straight out and tell them if you want something, and if you do not ask, why should you be suprised if he does not grant your request?  

This may be a symptom of something bigger that I call "estate planning".  There are other names for it, too.  Generally men want to provide for their spouse (both when they are alive and after they are gone), but many dont know how to do this, ESPECIALLY after death.  

Years ago, I was a financial planner, and I asked hard questions:  " How do you plan on providing for your spouse after you die?"  

One possibilility is if he maximizes his VA, then you can not only get provided for while he is alive, but also, through DIC, after his death.  

I hope this helps.