VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

is asking for a bump from 70% PTSD IU and PT a risk

Rate this question

robert51

Question

Life is a risk I know but I am on the fence many tell me don't risk asking for higher you might get lower.. or try other issues and leave your core rating alone... After I was awarded my 70% PTSD IU and PT in 2004 of course I did not find out till 2005 and was at that time still seeing a doctor 2 times a month private pay because the va only allowed 30 min visit and I often would take up 2 hours.. At that time I filed for SSD and was giving a form that says MEDICAL opinion Re. Ability to do work related activities  MENTAL ... it has a 27 questions the SS ask the doctor to rate and write why they gave rating.. Out of the 27 questions they can be scored Very Good... Good  fair or POOR ... almost all my ratings are in the poor slot with a few in Fair and I have these reports for every year from 2005 to 2013 some are worst others better but NONE even have one good and most have over 70% poor with some 90% poor.. . my question can I use these reports as evidence and if they are marked poor would it not be hard for the VA to reduce my rating.. And this doctor works out patient for non other then the VA so its kind of like one of their doctors.. any seasoned vets think this is solid enough to send as evidence and have very little down side on them requesting a reduction ?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

R-51, I may have missed something in your post but I see only a downside to your filing for an Increase from 70 to 100% for an MH  (PTSD?) issue. There is always a possibility of the VA deciding that you now require a Fiduciary. Did your MH IU Award also state "No Future Exams Scheduled?"

Then there's this, your current 70% single MH issue is considered 100% in regards to qualifying you for a future SMC S (1) Statutory Housebound Award. Other than the prospect of being able to have Earned Income in excess of the VA SGI ($12,400-$11,400 over 65), I don't see any real +'s to the Increase Claim.

How do you believe an Increase to 100% Schedular would  Benefit you at this point, above that of your IU Award?

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone,

I think he is wanting the IU  Moot and get a 100% scheduler rating?

HOWEVER HE NEEDS TO WATCH THIS BECAUSE HAVING A 100%MENTAL HEALTH RATING HE CAN'T BE WORKING!

If not? then Robert51  your 70% PTSD Rating was what they decided  your mental health rating best fits the PTSD Rating criteria by your symptoms AT 70%,  however the VA gave you the IU P&T Rating because you could not work because of your mental health problems and the IU is given to veterans with a lower rating but can't work because of their S.C. Disability According to the CFR's (extra scheduler rating criteria)

Your VSO or you should have NOD the 70%Decision  back when you was first Awarded..but getting the IU P&T (with no future exams scheduled) at that time I can see why maybe you didn't,  but as they say hine sights 20/20

You are P&T & Gastone is right on  watch out on them picking you a Fiduciary to help you handle your $$$

Robert 51

Secondary Claims from a mental health condition can be different  conditions if you qualify?  conditions like OSA (Sleep Apnea)  or E.D. or other conditions that are caused...from or Related to the PTSD Medication's.

Since you are IU getting paid at the 100% rate  you actually are considered to be 100% unofficially , so if you file for another condition that is S.C. and rated 60% or higher  then it is considered to be a separate  and distinct condition and would qualify you for the SMC S 1 H.B.   via= Mandatory Rating special rating table.

This is where the secondary claims would help...or any other  S.C.condition that would qualify you.

SMC (Special Monthly Compensation) is an extra 347.00 month with spouse dependent) on top of your IU.

Edited by Buck52

my only reason was to moot IU and have 100% now that I am over 65 I had a small SS check as the last years before treatment I really worked part time at best and no work for months .. I know this lets stop IU for over 65 people who can collect SS has been around and never passed but we are seeing a new president that does not bend to politics , So I am trying to cover my bases now just in case it stays in the budget , We think all vets are behind this but they are not in one forum I read some of the vets said it should be stopped why should a guy get disability , ,,,, IU bump and SS  so to think all vets are going to back us up is not what I see so if a PTSD raise looks like mount Everest I will try another path... I am reasonably sure I had malaria based on a 6 day stay in hospital packed in ice with lots of IV units inserted I will see if that is a way to go , And a few other problems..