VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caregiver

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So apparently the counselor over the phone said I may have difficulties with my daily living due to the stress and memory issue buy since I'm to far from being institutionalized I don't qualify for the program. So what the hell qualifies you? She said the most extreme cases but then I said what the point of the 3 tiers when you're saying that really doesn't matter. 

Edited by jfrei

Isn't it amazing how things in the VA can differ from one Vet to another!!  Are you by chance rated Housebound?  I would think this would help you qualify.  I am 100% PT Housebound, but I know I do not qualify since I'm a Vietnam Veteran.  I really wish I had some great advice to help you, but do not give up. 

Papa

I am yes if housebound Is having SMC S I was activated for Iraq gave up the reserves went active duty also went to Afghanistan.

I emailed Ted Ebert who emailed case management I also called them and was told to expect a call back soon from the hospital for your answer as to why you wouldn't qualify or you could qualify. She said it was based off her view of my medical record I said no matter how psychically I've healed after my coma my neuropsych test results show impairment as my MRI shows residuals still from my severe TBI. I didnt even hand the application in due to he saying I would be denied. I've been approved for choice 6 months of OT just to maintain ADL which was two months ago nothing yet schedule and was told maybe awhile still. I went mad angry today maybe I'll just hand in the application tomorrow morning see what happens she is the head I'll attached my MRI results and my neuropsych test results for her to try saying I'm all dandy well whoopty freaking doo maybe I'll just go live in a Van down by the river 

IMG_4717.JPG

https://www.caregiver.va.gov/support/support_benefits.asp

Who Is Eligible?

• Veterans eligible for this program are those who sustained or aggravated a serious injury – including traumatic brain injury, psychological trauma or other mental disorder – in the line of duty, on or after September 11, 2001.
  • Veterans eligible for this program must also be in need of personal care services because of an inability to perform one or more activities of daily living and/or need supervision or protection based on symptoms or residuals of neurological impairment or injury.

1 hour ago, Valhalla0321 said:

https://www.caregiver.va.gov/support/support_benefits.asp

Who Is Eligible?

• Veterans eligible for this program are those who sustained or aggravated a serious injury – including traumatic brain injury, psychological trauma or other mental disorder – in the line of duty, on or after September 11, 2001.
  • Veterans eligible for this program must also be in need of personal care services because of an inability to perform one or more activities of daily living and/or need supervision or protection based on symptoms or residuals of neurological impairment or injury.

@jfrei clearly none of this applies to you insert eye roll!!!  Like everything else with the VA, no RO or VA does anything the same and Jane in kentucky ain't going to see the rules the same as Suzie in Minnesota......this is a HUGE problem with that program, don't let them mess with you and you are absolutely right in not letting them get away with it. Good job emailing Ted ;)