VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caregiver

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So apparently the counselor over the phone said I may have difficulties with my daily living due to the stress and memory issue buy since I'm to far from being institutionalized I don't qualify for the program. So what the hell qualifies you? She said the most extreme cases but then I said what the point of the 3 tiers when you're saying that really doesn't matter. 

Edited by jfrei

22 minutes ago, seminoles said:

@jfrei clearly none of this applies to you insert eye roll!!!  Like everything else with the VA, no RO or VA does anything the same and Jane in kentucky ain't going to see the rules the same as Suzie in Minnesota......this is a HUGE problem with that program, don't let them mess with you and you are absolutely right in not letting them get away with it. Good job emailing Ted ;) 

I called the office of case management furious about three hours after emailing. The girl polite answer hello how can I help you. I just laid it out without given any of my info she was like is this Jamie. lol I said yup here's my SSN she said it definitely sounds like you qualify I'm emailing your RO hospital to call you Ted sent a message. I think tomorrow I need to hand in an application instead of just taking the advice not to by the program head.

She called my wife and told her my sTBI isn't considered catastrophic anymore and I don't meet the criteria 

Edited by jfrei

20 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I know a Vietnam veteran his spouse was his caregiver he was 100%SC P&T WITH 3 SMC's... the VA paid her 400.00 month to take care of her hubby  although she worked a full time job, she called the VA about getting extra $$ to help care for her hubby  ..the job she did was  under the table  so no taxes involved, she never mention to the VA SHE WAS WORKING A FULL TIME JOB...ok VA sent out a caregiver person to look at their home and see what they needed...they had wheel chair ramps installed by the VA interior doors widen...and she was appointed his care giver and was getting 400$ monthly...but since her hubby passed away from his S.C. Disabilitys

So you should be able to get your spouse to be your caregiver  you just have to keep pestering the VA until you actually reach the right person...so many VA Employee's think there job is to help get a veteran denied his benefits  and we just have to keep fight them until  they do the right thing.

jmo

They told her I'm only eligible for her to get classes and theirs two different programs out there and my sTBI is no longer as severe as it once was 

Edited by jfrei

• HadIt.com Elder

oh okay  well they must have change up the  caregiver program!

I guess they have closed it out to Nam Veterans now.

Just seems to me when a Veteran needs help and can't help himself b/c if his S.C. Disability's  he should be entitled to the caregiver program,  but they will throw him in a Nursing home  real quick  and that cost more than a caregiver.

but that's the VA

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

oh okay  well they must have change up the  caregiver program!

I guess they have closed it out to Nam Veterans now.

Just seems to me when a Veteran needs help and can't help himself b/c if his S.C. Disability's  he should be entitled to the caregiver program,  but they will throw him in a Nursing home  real quick  and that cost more than a caregiver.

but that's the VA

She said the stipend is rarely given at the Delaware VA apparently I'm mistaken by assuming it's a right like SSA where it's just given and it's only a temporary thing. She said I should lool into other compensation routes other programs since I'm P and T. I didn't even no qualified for SMC S that was given to me most likely my attorney requested it. She said this is a catastrophic temporary aid and my wife is ok to do classes, on top of her temporary job and our two kids. I may have gotten off for the doctor not calling child services but I said that's only because my wife keeps me in check everyday I'm worried I'm going to wear her out. Thank god love isn't temporary I sure picked the cream of the crop with my wife.

• HadIt.com Elder

I hear that jfrei,

I can't seem to run my wife off  and all the things she puts up with me about  a ''Normal Woman''  would have left years ago...eh!