VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caregiver

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So apparently the counselor over the phone said I may have difficulties with my daily living due to the stress and memory issue buy since I'm to far from being institutionalized I don't qualify for the program. So what the hell qualifies you? She said the most extreme cases but then I said what the point of the 3 tiers when you're saying that really doesn't matter. 

Edited by jfrei

I walked into the Va hospital walked right to the OEF transitional counsel whoever they are I explained this is what was said to me I'm 100 PT for TBI and PTSD now with a chronic adjustment disorder. This C&P is from May 22 they go over all my symptoms seperated by my diagnosises. He said don't stop fighting you deserve it me suggesttion is meet with her in Person with my wife. We will see how that goes... fight what you deserves before it destroys your family just had to get a happy medium with my pursuing and family life

Edited by jfrei

• Founder

From the VA Caregiver Site Here

Answering NO to the following question may indicate that you do not meet eligibility requirements for the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers:

• Were you injured in the line of duty on or after 9/11/2001?

Answering YES to any of the following questions may indicate you do not meet eligibility requirements for the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers:

• Are you working without any accommodations or assistance?
  • Are you attending school or a training program without assistance?
  • Are you able to travel alone?
  • Could you be more independent if you had training or equipment?
  • If you needed to, can you manage things yourself but prefer help?
  • Do your doctors or other providers believe your symptoms would improve or you could be more independent with additional treatment or specific interventions?
  • Is it safe for you to be alone for more than a couple hours?
  • Can you care for your children without help?
  • Are you living in a separate household from the person who would be your caregiver?
  • Is the person who would be your caregiver also disabled or in need of someone to assist him/her?

• Founder

If they ever extend the program to pre 9/11 veterans I'm pretty sure it will have a very tight eligibility like if you don't need to me institutionalized you aren't eligible. That is just my opinion. 

41 minutes ago, Tbird said:

If they ever extend the program to pre 9/11 veterans I'm pretty sure it will have a very tight eligibility like if you don't need to me institutionalized you aren't eligible. That is just my opinion. 

If that is the case then that should be the criteria for all caregivers........which is a shame.  There are many veterans who need caregivers who don't need to be institutionalized.  My husband works at home because he needs to care for me as needed, not everyone has the ability to do that. He isn't eligible for the caregiver program and I doubt he would ever sign up if he were.  Every person in the caregiver program I know would not be in it based upon the if you answer YES list you posted above.  Not saying that is right or wrong.  I just know they would not be in it if they answered those questions as they all would answer yes to one or more than one of those questions. Which again brings up the huge issue of disparity of who gets into the program and who doesn't. 

But that's what my Va advocate poly trauma guy said to her he said he was accepted in three weeks to go to an inpatient rehab in Richmond, he was approved for 6 months of OT, and third he is starting a therapy program to deal with some life issues. The fact he doesn't have many notes is the VA hospitals fault because we can't even schedule him for years, how is that fair And as for his driving I didn't even want him I drive home but it's my control. He said they'll finally get me the OT which was approved and get her the notes she needs to approve my caregiver by the end of the summer. Why the hell did it take so much fighting to get that answer? Always coming at me with the silver bullet to cool me down...

Edited by jfrei

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/dav-survey-caregivers-help

VA Secretary David Shulkin has said he hopes to use the review to find ways to expand the caregiver services to a broader range of veterans’ families, since current rules limit monthly stipends and other assistance offerings to only post-9/11 veterans. 

The DAV survey backs that idea. In the report, officials calls the exclusion of older veterans from the program “an injustice that must be corrected” and labels the current services available to all veterans’ caregivers “nowhere near adequate to meet the needs” of those families. 

Of the 1,833 caregivers surveyed, 75 percent said their loved ones would need to be institutionalized if a family caregiver was not available.